Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Odd IP addres and city

This is a discussion on Odd IP addres and city within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been with Sky for over 4 years, and got pretty used to my connection IP addresses (sorry not ...

jakewc2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Covent Garden
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Odd IP addres and city

I have been with Sky for over 4 years, and got pretty used to my connection IP addresses (sorry not sure what the correct terminology is) I live in London, and have only ever seen my IP address between certain numbers and it saying London. The past couple of days, I have been connected to completely different set of IP addresses and it says I am located in Sheffield....

I run a server, which asked me why I was connecting from sheffield not London, for security, plus its caused problems with me connecting to my two Facebook accounts. I had to go through this list of security questions as it didnt recognise my location......

Its never happened before.....anybody ever had that happen......I am a bit concerned that I have been hacked.....what is even more concerning is that I have tried to reboot the rooter, and instead if it giving me a different IP address, its stayed the same and not changed.......different city completely different set of IP numbers I dont recognise....

I called support, and the person there said they couldnt even begin to work out howto help....I asked if I could speak to Tier Two, and the Tier Two said it wasnt a problem.....

Is it a problem, my server and Facebook think it is......

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Odd IP addres and city

Do you have Sky Phone Rental? If so, I think you are on the SVBN. This takes your connection direct to the Sky Server and not to your local exchange. At the moment my my IP resolves to Manchester, although Whatis(link below) shows a different IP address and traces it to London. You will see I am quite a few miles from either place.

I don't think it is a security problem, but one downside is that online speedtesters use the wrong servers when you check your speed, giving a misleading result.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

jakewc2 (19-08-11)

Thanks

No, my line rental is via bt and calls via bt....its the first time its ever been different...plus since, I am about 1/2 a mile or less from the exchange, its set for maximum speeds, but since this started my speeds have reduced, and my connection is bad too....

Thanks

It looks like BT may have made some changes, until I moved over from BT to Sky rental a couple of weeks ago, Whatis could resolve my address to within a mile of where I stay. It is possible BT have rerouted their lines which may have the effected the IP routing, but I don't really know how.

Sky IP addresses have become very 'sticky' which means although they are not fixed, they are difficult to change. What you could try is opening the Routers Status page and clicking the Sky Test button. This used to be a cast iron way of changing the address, but I don't know if it still works. Try it and see what happens.

How is your voice line, any noise on it?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

jakewc2 (19-08-11)

Thanks

Yeh, it is noisy, and that just happened the same time too....all crackly like its frying bacon......I'll open up the Status page and let you know

Thanks

If you have noise on your line, that will effect your broadband, phone BT and get them to fix it. Don't mention anything about broadband or they will just refer you back to Sky who can do nothing about noisy lines.

TomD

Useful Utilites

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

jakewc2 (19-08-11)

Thanks

ok, done that twice and rebooted and no change, so it looks like they have BT have changed something........I am still in Sheffield.....most odd.....thank you though, was very worried for a while....though it still causes problems with server and Facebook.....

Thanks

ok, on phone now....thank you.....

Thanks

I believe Sheffield is the location of one of Sky's server farms. What is your connection Network Type, on the router status page. If it has changed to MER, that may account for it. There has been no reports yet of BT lines being on MER, but you never know, you could be the first

TomD

Useful Utilites

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

jakewc2 (19-08-11)

Thanks

Network type PPPoA....but just checked with BT, I have the filter in the wall socket with the seperate phone socket, dont know what its called, but I took the front of, and the crackles went away, its about 14 years old and not been changed, its ADSL written on the front.......got an engineer coming out tomorrow....

thank you, I really appreciate your help.....

will this affect my speeds and connection now? Up till the beginning of the year, its been really good, then I had downtime, for about 3 days, then a couple of months pater a day and again a couple of months later the same thing.......now this.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast