Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky slow speeds

This is a discussion on Sky slow speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Now that I have you all interested...... Been doing lots of tests on my line using different routers, cables, master ...

BroadbandKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1Tb
      Thanks

Re: Sky slow speeds

Now that I have you all interested......

Been doing lots of tests on my line using different routers, cables, master socket, test socket, filters, adsl filters.

First of all the Billion 7402NX is well and truly broken!!!

Yes it syncs at 15 meg down, 1.1 meg up and yes it ran fine for a couple of weeks but the longer the router was on, the more problems it had! If I switched my router off overnight, it would be fine for the next day until it slowed right down.

So last week I would put my router on in the morning but by teatime the speeds were dreadful. However what I did was one day this week, I did not use the Billion Router until 5pm, switched it on and it worked fine all evening!

However I left it on all night and the next day it began to slow to a crawl! Now even leaving it off overnight does not solve the problem. I have reset the router, tried different firmware versions, the results are the same, it crawls along at less than 100kbps. And to confirm that it is not my line, I hooked the 7402NX to a friend's broadband line, connected up and slow speeds were encountered just like I have on my line. So it is the router 100% and I am trying to sort out a refund.

The next thing I confirmed and I knew this from all the work I did last year with orange broadband, my adsl filtered socket gives me the same speed as the test socket, so there are no issues with my internal wiring at all. In fact the router is and has always been connected directly to the adsl filter and the speed and line quality are the same as when using the test socket.

My DG3500 syncs at 13 meg, 1 meg up. And it runs fine without any problems WHEN IT WORKS!!!! However this DGN3500 was a replacement for another broken DGN3500, however Netgear sent me a faulty one!!! So I have no wireless and the router will stop dead in its tracks throughout the day with a red flashing on/off light. It takes me around 20 goes to get the router switched on, so I am now in discussions with Netgear about a refund/replacement and possible DGND3700 upgrade for my troubles.

And finally back to the sagem 2304N, well the router sky supplied is the only router I have left!!!

It syncs at 12 meg, 1 meg up and works fine on my line without any problems.
      The only thing is that my wireless laptops run at 150N and 300N and the streaming is poor on the pathetic N" wireless on the sagem! Also I have a wired Gigabit LAN which has a windows media server at its hub which means that when streaming HD movies across to the TV's, it runs a lot slower, only 100MBps and not to the LAN's top capacity of 1Gb.

Oh and the DGN2000 (which was a replacement for an earlier DGN2000) burnt out just as I got sky broadband. I have managed to get a refund for that one.

So I am not having much luck at all with my routers.

Latest stats with the sagem:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12237 kbps 980 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.0 dB 19.9 dB
      Noise Margin 7.1 dB 8.0 dB

When using the Billion I was getting over 1.1 meg up, why has it dropped on the sagem? Can I ask sky to increase the upload, even though my line was profiled at 15 meg down, 1.1 meg up. Or is it a case of that is the best the sagem can do?

I am on the easynet LLU. If I move to sky talk, will I for definite be put on the broadcom based sky LLU? Also if I asked sky to be put on the sky LLU right now, is that a possibility? Has anyone heard of anyone being put on the Sky LLU without being on Sky Talk and there being easynet LLU equipment.

I have emailed these questions to sky, but am awaiting a reply.

Anyway that is my latest update........

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Didn't you tweak the żżżl out of the Billion router in order to get the faster connection speed?

Are you sure that you have completely reset it's settings?

Also if your line has reconfigured whilst the Billion was tweaked, then this could affect the connection speed of any other router.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Billion was 15 meg down with code gain of 7.
      With code gain at auto, it was 13 meg down.

Billion reset to factory settings, firmware it came with.
      User id and password for the broadband line in question is all that has been entered into it.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If your Billion router is 'well and truly broken' then get it replaced. Simple as that. All Billion products come with a 2 year warranty.

No other router will give you the sync it does because they can't interact with the DSLAM the way it can.

The reason you are going for the refund is because somewhere in the back of your head you do realise that your line has a fault.

If you go back to your previous threads and count the number of times you were told (from the very beginning) that your line is fcked you will probably get a two digit number.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Arrow Re: Sky slow speeds

If my line is "fcked", how come I had 14 meg download from orange for over 12 months without any problems!

The DGN2000, DGN3500 and the sagem 2304N all connect up fine and run swiftly on my broadband line. The Billion 7402NX does not run smoothly at all, it had died over the last week or so.

As a customer I have a right to ask for a refund under the amazon terms and conditions where I bought my router from. From my experience with the Billion and its slowing down after so many hours, I am not impressed and that is the reason why I want a refund and not a replacement. It is up to me.

My line will run fine with the sagem without any problems, the only downside is the 100Mb connection and the poor wireless N. However at the moment I would rather have a working broadband line with this router rather than what i was getting with the Billion.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BroadbandKing View Post
      If my line is "*****", how come I had 14 meg download from orange for over 12 months without any problems!
      When BT Openreach connected you to the Sky Broadband, they changed some wire contacts between your home and the telephone exchange. A mistake or broken wire or duff connection could well have come into play.

My line will run fine with the sagem without any problems, the only downside is the 100Mb connection and the poor wireless N. However at the moment I would rather have a working broadband line with this router rather than what i was getting with the Billion.
      I can't rub it in, I'm on my 2nd Netgear DGND3700. However this one is working very well and has been hammered once more.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As a customer I have a right to ask for a refund under the amazon terms and conditions where I bought my router from. From my experience with the Billion and its slowing down after so many hours, I am not impressed and that is the reason why I want a refund and not a replacement. It is up to me.

There was a mention of ups and downs on your Sagem router. Hell you even said it in the first post in this thread along with your other 'findings' before you edited it all out. What was all that about lol?

Any ways like you said it's up to you. Deal with it your way.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

BroadbandKing (18-08-11)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12