Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Kona Owner

Disconnects and Strange Ringing Home Line 'Feature'

This is a discussion on Disconnects and Strange Ringing Home Line 'Feature' within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been having problems with slow speeds and disconnects for some time. Rang Sky and done all the usual stuff ...

Doublestew is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Riddings
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Disconnects and Strange Ringing Home Line 'Feature'

I've been having problems with slow speeds and disconnects for some time. Rang Sky and done all the usual stuff of Test socket, change micro-filter, reset router, unplug, plug back in etc.They even sent me a new D-Link router

Then everything works fine for a few days with speeds of aroun 7.5mg, ticket gets closed then it all starts again.

One wierd thing I've noticed is that if I ring my home land line from my mobile the connection is much more stable. I'll do this if the connection has gone down, tried re-booting the router and can't get a connection. I ring the home land line and BINGO, up and running with decent snr. Then I hang up and ... misery ... connection drops again. In fact I'm typing this whist ringing my home landline as I I know if I hang up the connection will drop again.

Is there any reason why ringing my landline should make the ASDL connection more stable?

My current stats are:
      System Up Time: 00:34:49

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 2334 8148 0 735 11110 00:09:54
      LAN 1138 22 0 113 1 00:34:49
      WLAN 35490 28807 0 53544 6748 00:09:44
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2046 kbps 415 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49.5db 30.3db
      Noise Margin 9.4db 16.5db
      System Up Time: 00:34:49

Is there anything unusual in there - apart from the pathetic speed? I sometimes get a negative SNR as well.

It does look like I'm heading towards an engineer coming out to check the line. I have a standard set up - micro filter in master socket (currently in Test), router connected via the grey cable that comes with router, a splitter for the phone line and sky box (plugged in to microfilter) and an ethernet connection for sky anytime+ from the router.

My call has now been referred to a 'senior technician', whatever one of those is.

I guess thousands of people have been where I am now but if there are any suggestions on anything else I could try I'm all ears.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Disconnects and Strange Ringing Home Line 'Feature'

Is there any reason why ringing my landline should make the ASDL connection more stable?
      Yes this indicates that you possibly have a high resistance fault. Basically this is a poor joint in the line which, when you send a current down the line, by ringing or phoning from your number, helps 'bridge the gap' and allows the broadband signal to flow better. A good enginerr will detect the fault and fix it in no time. Sky are likely to tell you your line is fine as they cannot test for this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for that. The symptoms I get fit what you describe and yes, Sky have tested the line and said it is fine. I'll mention it to the Senior Technician when here rings - I wonder if you can hear a blank look over the phone?

Appreciate you taking the time to post.

Kona Owner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT HomeHub4
      Thanks

My line had a HR fault that was only shown up when Sky sent me a Dlink router, using the Sagem one it was rock solid. It took 2 visits from BT. The first one was a bit of a goon, didn't believe it was possible for me to get 4.5Mbit due to the line length and said there were load of joints in the line, which incidentally he added to.

The second engineer was a gem, he spent about 5 hours on the job and replaced all the copper from the back of my master socket to the nearest pole and then swapped my line over to the thicker copper line that supplies my village, the one i was on had been pinched some time ago and due to costs BT replaced it with thinner copper which makes sense.

Anyway the router is now as stable as any i have owned in the past and i get a summer sync of 6.2Mbit, using steetstats the average connection around me is in the region of 3.2Mbit so it really is worth persisting with it.
      Scubbie likes this.
      John
      View My Flickr

Thanks

Well, the BT engineer has just been - on a Sunday even though Sky said he would be here on Monday, got me out of my bed, lol.

When he arrived guess what, broadband was up and running his line test said everything is fine and very little noise on the line. He's replaced the connectors at the box wher the line comes in to the house and he says he will check the joints in the line between here and the exchange and give me a ring later. He's currently sat in front of the cabinet a little way down the road.

If he'd been here yesterday, broadband wasn't up and line was noisey though I could actually hear the router trying to sync with the exchange. The only way I could get a connection was to use the house phone then, as soon as I hung up the connection would drop.

Told the engineer this and he said it does sound like a high resistance fault.

Fingers crossed now that he does find something wrong further down the line
      ================================================== ==========================================
      He's just rang and he says he's found nothing where he can definitely say that would be the cause.

He has however replaced joints and checked the line back to the exchange. Now it's a case of monitoring the line and and see what happens.
      Last edited by Doublestew; 21-08-11 at 02:01 PM.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

If he has rerouted your wiring to the exchange, then it is likely he has resolved the issue.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms