Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

McAfee Security Suite

This is a discussion on McAfee Security Suite within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm a little confused. When we got Sky Broadband several years ago (September 2008) we had the 12 month free ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

McAfee Security Suite

I'm a little confused. When we got Sky Broadband several years ago (September 2008) we had the 12 month free trial of the McAfee security suite. When the 12 months was up (or about a month before), we got an email from McAfee saying we could purchase another 12 months for half the normal price - I checked around and decided to go for it, so renewed the subscription.

I've recently renewed it again as I had another special offer meaning I didn't have to pay the full price.

Today, I received an email from Sky stating that "At the end of your free trial on 24 AUGUST 2011, your McAfee subscription will automatically continue. The monthly subscription fee of 3.00 will simply be added onto your Sky TV bill from 25 AUGUST 2011 unless you cancel your subscription."

As far as I was aware, the original trial subscription was only for 12 months. I received an email as stated above when that original 12 months was about up, asking for payment for it to continue for another 12 months.

I'm curious to know now, (a) have I been paying for several years for something that was actually apparently free, and (b) will it cause problems with my new subscription, bearing in mind that obviously I wasn't going to pay the requested 3 per month to Sky when I'd already paid in advance for a full year via McAfee, and therefore followed Sky's instructions on how to "cancel" the 3 per month payment to them.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: McAfee Security Suite

Today, I received an email from Sky stating that "At the end of your free trial on 24 AUGUST 2011, your McAfee subscription will automatically continue. The monthly subscription fee of 3.00 will simply be added onto your Sky TV bill from 25 AUGUST 2011 unless you cancel your subscription."
      It looks like they have go their wires crossed. You should check back through your payments to be sure, but I don't think they will have been charging you. Did you upgrade or change your contract in some way about a year ago? Maybe your change to the 7.50 broadband about a year ago fooled the system into thinking you had just started.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ahhh .. that could be it. We had a horrible few months during June/July last year with our broadband that involved a lot (over a dozen) engineers coming to the house. When we thought it was fixed, we did decide to go onto the max broadband package. I noticed last week when I checked our broadband account that it mentioned something about a free subscription coming to an end, but I just assumed it was one of the special offers they gave us as a sorry for all the problems we'd had.

Actually, 3 per month isn't too bad for a years subscription .. that equates to 36 and I think their going rate is about 45 per year ... but saying that I've never paid the going rate as they usually have a special offer on at some point.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Sorry but 36 is a rubbish price IMHO.

McAfee Security Suite appears to be an old product. I can find a 2010 version, but it is out of stock.

McAfee Anti-virus 2011 can be purchased for around 16. This includes a license to install it on 3 separate computers.

There are other AV packages around that would also cost considerably less than you have been offered too. I would highly recommend that you take the opportunity to look around and see what is available.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Avast.

It's FOC for the home version.

==========
      Regards
      Dave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sorry but 36 is a rubbish price IMHO.

McAfee Security Suite appears to be an old product. I can find a 2010 version, but it is out of stock.

McAfee Anti-virus 2011 can be purchased for around 16. This includes a license to install it on 3 separate computers.

There are other AV packages around that would also cost considerably less than you have been offered too. I would highly recommend that you take the opportunity to look around and see what is available.
      Hmm ... I did have a look around at the time - but obviously not hard enough or in the right places.

I have found exactly the same one at Amazon for a much reduced price:

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/McAfee-Internet-Security-2011-User/dp/B003ULO2BE]McAfee Internet Security 2011, 3 User (PC): Amazon.co.uk: Software[/ame]

When I'm more awake tomorrow I'll see if I can still cancel that one I've just bought on "special offer" and just get the one from Amazon. Its crazy that I can buy the boxed package for so much cheaper than simply continuing on my current subscription.

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Why would you want to pay for a product when free is available.

==========
      Regards
      Dave

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fluke View Post
      Personally speaking? I found that some of the 'Free' Anti-Virus report too many false-positives or don't have a very good scanner.

I know some people love Avast and others love AVG.

Sadly the truth is that each has been compromised at some stage by particular nasties out there and you must keep them all current in order to stay ahead of the majority of them.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Why would you want to pay for a product that is inferior to a free product .
      The fact that you amended that reply to take off the "inferior" possibly gives you the answer ... up to a point it is probably personal preference, and what works with what system best.

I have tried many different anti-virus products over the years, have read many different reviews comparing the different products, and I have been happy with this one, compared to others. Yes ... I could use a free products - I used AVG happily for many years but for some reason it refuses to work on one of the computers in my system. I tried Avast and just didn't like it as much.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      Hmm ... I did have a look around at the time - but obviously not hard enough or in the right places.

I have found exactly the same one at Amazon for a much reduced price:

McAfee Internet Security 2011, 3 User (PC): Amazon.co.uk: Software

When I'm more awake tomorrow I'll see if I can still cancel that one I've just bought on "special offer" and just get the one from Amazon. Its crazy that I can buy the boxed package for so much cheaper than simply continuing on my current subscription.
      I realised i went through Quidco to buy this so, assuming my cashback comes through, it will be about the same price as Amazon - but I'll certainly make sure I double check better next time!

Thanks for your help guys.