Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problems with Sky D-Link router - frequent disconnections

This is a discussion on Problems with Sky D-Link router - frequent disconnections within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone. Just as the thread title says, I am having issues with my Sky router dropping it's internet connection ...

Zelaurion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Problems with Sky D-Link router - frequent disconnections

Hi everyone. Just as the thread title says, I am having issues with my Sky router dropping it's internet connection frequently while in use. The internet will disconnect completely, the @ light turns orange, and then 30 seconds or so later, the light will turn green again and internet access will be available.
      I have tried explaining this problem to the sky technicians, and while they have guided me through some steps that have increased my (awful) speeds somewhat, these disconnections are as frequent as ever. Over 3 hours of use in the evening (general browsing, streaming video, online games, etc.) I have recently been counting anywhere between 10-30 disconnections. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Does it sound like a router fault? (Sky don't seem to think so).
      I would be grateful for any help or advice anybody can give me!
      Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Problems with Sky D-Link router - frequent disconnections

Plug your router into the test socket and see if the disconnections stop.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you checked your download speed in the evening. If you are on Connect there is a good chance you are being throttled. Sky should really escalate problems with Connect to BT, they are the only ones who can fix them. You could try posting your stats from the normal position and from the Test socket as Exdee suggests.
      How to get your router statistics there may be something in your internal wiring which is interfering with your broadband.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Golem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi Zelaurion, I have a sky douter ( D-link) and am on sky connect. I have the same problems - after a number of attempts to resolve the problem (including me crawling around to unscrew the master socket to gain access to the test socket and having no impact / change whatsoever - sky technicians said they thought the problem wasn't to do with sky and wouldn't assist any further. I spoke to customer relations as I am at the end of my first year (HDTV, internet and tel) and suggested that if it couldn't be fixed maybe I should switch to Virgin. I got a more helpful response and a new router was sent out. However, this did the same thing. I then tried plugging back in and reconfiguring my old netgear router (802.11n compliant) and low and behold I don't get any drop outs. Further more on checking the speed I see that my "old" router is rated at gigabit speeds, whereas the sky (even the new one) is only rated at 100Mbps. Incidentally, I had also connect my TV to the router but got very slow speeds - with the changed router I now get far faster speeds and can even stream films to my TV. It does seem that the router is both limited and has faults which sky don't seem to want to acknowledge. I did try to check with D-link - but lost any hope of that after speaking to their receptionist who was (lets say) not the helpful variety.

jakewc2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Covent Garden
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I had the same problem with D-Link, and I am on Max, it turns out D-Link routers have a problem, according to the tech, they sent me out a different router....