Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Switching Broadband Advice

This is a discussion on Switching Broadband Advice within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am currently getting broadband from Orange. I get a speed of 6.5Mb/s on a "up to 20Mb/s" package.* The ...

Andrew Curry is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gosforth
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Switching Broadband Advice

I am currently getting broadband from Orange. I get a speed of 6.5Mb/s on a "up to 20Mb/s" package.*

The package is unlimited (though subject to what some people think is unfair, fair usage policy)

I pay 20.50, which includes line rental, broadband and free calls to uk landlines, so as long as I don't make any mobile calls from landline it costs me nothing extra.

I will be moving from Orange when my contract ends in March 2011.
      I have been with them for over a decade, since they were Freeserve but recent problems have made me decide to move.

I was on Orange LLU but they gave recently moved me back to BT Wholesale.

Two providers are starting to interest me. BT and Sky.

1. BT.*
      I am thinking if migrating to FTTC and BT infinity is showing available in my area. I am only about 300 metres from the cabinet. Part of me wonders whether I need the extra speed and if 6.5Mb/s is enough. But I am very interested, plus it would give me access to BT's many wireless spots all over. Also, and this is a very important factor which interests me, they are advertising no limit useage on some of their higher packages.*

I always manage my broadband and try to do a lot of my downloading during off peak times, even leaving computer on overnight. I have never been throttled because of excessive useage and am very carefully, but still don't like the fact that I have to be careful.*

2. Sky Broadband.
      I am already a Sky+ HD customer.
      Several things interest me with Sky broadband. The main one is Sky Anytime+.

I would love a service which will allow me to download programmes direct to my TV without my having to plug my computer to my TV. It's also handy if you miss the first episode of a new series and thus didn't record it.

I would love to be able to watch other services like iplayer this way, and whilst it's not available yet, how likely do you think it will be to come sometime soon?

Sky have a website up for FTTC trials, how likely is it that this will become active anytime soon, perhaps in the next few months?

Sky operate LLU which is hard to change from should you wish to leave. Would I have to use LLU for Sky broadband and if not would I still be able to get truly unlimited service that they are advertising?

The truly unlimited service defiantly interests me, but I an curious as to whether it and anytime are available without LLU.

Orange currently take care of my line rental so technically I am not a BT customer, they are. To use Sky without LLU would I have to return to the old days of having a BT line and phone and paying them quite a bit for nothing? Whet are my options here? Should I just forget all of this and go Sky LLU?

Anyway to sum up I am interested in anytime+ and truly unlimited services with no FUP.*

Do you recommend avoiding LLU and if so how do I go about avoiding it yet still getting the services.

FTTC interests me, but isn't essential.

I would love to hear your recommendations.
      Andrew.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Switching Broadband Advice

Do you recommend avoiding LLU and if so how do I go about avoiding it yet still getting the services.
      The exact opposite in fact! Do not sign up for Sky unless you can get on the LLU service. The Connect service, the non-LLU service, is severely throttled, expensive and limited to 40Gb a month. It also does not qualify for an Anytime+ connection.

Neither Gosforth exchanges have Sky, but check here - SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

Check your exchange, if it has not been unbundled by Sky, forget it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The exact opposite in fact! Do not sign up for Sky unless you can get on the LLU service. The Connect service, the non-LLU service, is severely throttled, expensive and limited to 40Gb a month. It also does not qualify for an Anytime+ connection.

Neither Gosforth exchanges have Sky, but check here - SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

This is my exchange:
      SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Gosforth (NEGF) Exchange

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post

So Sky connect is Sky using the BT network wholesale?
      If that's the case then since any sky FTTC will be them reselling a BT wholesale product, does that mean that it might not be unlimited or anytime compatible?

So really BT infinity is my only real guarantee of truly unlimited?

I've heard bad things about Sky LLU including that it's hard to get off and that if you do leave you will lose your telephone number, is that true?

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

There should be no problem leaving Sky LLU. If you have their line as well then it does become more difficult I believe. That's why I stick with BT for my line.

I think Sky's unlimited package is probably one of the best BB packages & one of the few truly unlimited. Even BT Infinity has some limits I think but is very expensive and unless you're some distance from the exchange so getting low speeds , say less than 6meg , then the extra expense of infinity is hard to justify - mainly to the wife probably.

Without Sky's unlimited package you can't get Anytime+.

My advice as you apparently have Sky's equipment in your exchange is go for it , keep the line with BT but have Sky Talk as well.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

This is my exchange:
      Whoops. I must have checked the same one twice.

You can move your calls to Sky without moving your rental, cost can be free for evening and weekend calls or 5 for anytime calls, both include dozens of international calls. It works out a bit more expensive than having everything with Sky, especially as you will have to pay for caller display if you use it. I did that for years and have only just moved fully to Sky, mainly for a 5 a month saving plus 3 months free rental.

No one knows yet what the deal is going to be if and when Sky offer fibre. We are all waiting with baited breath.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.