Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Very inconsistent connection speed

This is a discussion on Very inconsistent connection speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've had Sky Broadband Unlimited for just over a month now and since last weekend, the connection speeds I have ...

starky88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dinas Powys
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Very inconsistent connection speed

I've had Sky Broadband Unlimited for just over a month now and since last weekend, the connection speeds I have had have been horribly inconsistent.

At first I thought it was something to do with the wireless channel. I changed from 6 to 11 and this seemed to fix it for a day, but it went to pot again after this. I've since changed to 3 (as there's no-one else on that channel near to me) and still it isn't great.

At times i'll have download speeds of 800kb/s and web pages open instantly, whereas at other times, its as if its on its last legs. Below are some statistics...

Sky Router Stats...

Speedtest.net (via iPhone as it would barely load on my Mac)

Notice the difference yet only half an hour between the tests, and nothing was done to the router during this time.

I then got it to work on my Mac and here are the results...

Anyone have any idea why this is the case? Throughout all of this, my upload speed seems to have been pretty consistent at about 90kbps.

Cheers.

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Very inconsistent connection speed

The next time you experience throughput issues conduct a ping test and traceroute to bbc.co.uk and post your stats.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Looking at those connection times, I am suspicious that you either have a line or router problem.

Did you disconnect the router from the telephone line before taking that screen shot?

The WiFi has also lost it's connection time as well. Have you changed this at all?

Also could you perform a quiet line test please? To do this use a corded telephone, plug it into the Test Socket and dial '1'. Listen carefully for any noise, particularly crackling or hissing.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

The last time I powered down the router was yesterday afternoon, which was the same time I disconnected the phoneline from the router. I disconnected the router on the router homepage earlier today, and that screenshot was taken about an hour after I reconnected.

What do you mean by the WiFi has lost its connection time? Sorry!

I don't have a corded phone, but I just tried my cordless phone (base plugged into the test socket) and there was very little noise on it, a tiny bit of hissing but nothing that noticeable to me.

I forgot to add, Sky are currently running a DLM test on the line, but these problems were occurring before they started this yesterday.

The connection is fine at the moment, and these are the stats from pinging to bbc.co.uk

PING 212.58.246.90 (212.58.246.90): 56 data bytes
      56 bytes from 212.58.246.90: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=46.7 ms
      56 bytes from 212.58.246.90: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=46.7 ms
      56 bytes from 212.58.246.90: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=46.6 ms
      56 bytes from 212.58.246.90: icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=45.6 ms

--- 212.58.246.90 ping statistics ---
      4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
      round-trip min/avg/max = 45.6/46.4/46.7 ms
      Appreciate you helping

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

To rule out WiFi issues, which are most likely, you really need to connect by ethernet to the router and see if you get the same fluctuating speed.

As an aside, I would not trust speedtest.net. It can give very inconsistent results. Use the speedtester on the forum. Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by starky88 View Post
      What do you mean by the WiFi has lost its connection time? Sorry!
      If you look at the 'up time' column, at the up time for the router, you will notice that the LAN & router times are close enough to be fine (it takes a few seconds after switching on for the LAN to be stable).

The WAN time is your Internet connection.

The WLAN is the WiFi (Wireless LAN).

With all these showing different times, I am inclined to suspect a router problem since you haven't been playing with the router.

Whilst DLM will reset the WAN time between 1am and 6am, it doesn't touch the WLAN connection.

Quote Originally Posted by starky88 View Post
      I don't have a corded phone, but I just tried my cordless phone (base plugged into the test socket) and there was very little noise on it, a tiny bit of hissing but nothing that noticeable to me.
      The test needs a corded telephone. A wireless telephone could suppress any noise or introduce it.

If you only have a wireless telephone, then should you experience a power cut you will not be able to call anyone on your land line. It is good practise to have a corded telephone available just in case. You could turn the ringer off if you prefer.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hadn't thought of that, will take my macbook to the router next time its a bit funny and test through a wired connection.

Didn't know there was a speed test on here, thanks for the link!