Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slow speeds, constant disconnections on wireless

This is a discussion on Slow speeds, constant disconnections on wireless within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok so basically I am completely fed up of this. All i'm getting is slow speeds, and that's a positive ...

Boomed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Slow speeds, constant disconnections on wireless

Ok so basically I am completely fed up of this. All i'm getting is slow speeds, and that's a positive because most of the time the internet is off. I receive disconnections usually every 15-20 minutes and it will stay up for anywhere between 30 seconds to 3 hours at most. It's an absolute joke and on other computers in my household the wired connections work, but the wireless ones constantly disconnect.

My router is a SAGEMCOM F@ST2304, and i have heard that this router is full of problems, would my best bet be to contact sky's contact line and ask for another router? NOT the same one though? Which router work's well? Or is there another way around this that can fix the router?

Here are my router statistics and my speedtest.net results:

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Slow speeds, constant disconnections on wireless

- You haven't lost sync to the exchange in 12 days which is a good thing.
      - Try changing the wireless channel to something less busy and see if that helps. Use a utility call InSSIDer to see what channels are free near you. (Google it)

And lastly plug your router into your test socket and post your stats from there. Your speed is kind of slow considering how short your line is.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      - You haven't lost sync to the exchange in 12 days which is a good thing.
      - Try changing the wireless channel to something less busy and see if that helps. Use a utility call InSSIDer to see what channels are free near you. (Google it)

And lastly plug your router into your test socket and post your stats from there. Your speed is kind of slow considering how short your line is.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket
      Thanks for your reply, I have contacted sky 6 times before and everytime they mentioned changing the channel on 192.168.0.1 and everytime i did this it never seemed to make any difference.

Secondly, I downloaded inSSIDer 2.0 and i'm unsure how it works? Could you go through with me how i could go about see'ing which channels are free near me?

I am yet to try the test socket yet but will post feedback immediately when done.

Thanks

Basically you fire up the program and switch to 2.4ghz in the tab below. Look for free channels.

If you are unsure just post a screen shot like this one and we can recommend channels based on it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      Basically you fire up the program and switch to 2.4ghz in the tab below. Look for free channels.

If you are unsure just post a screen shot like this one and we can recommend channels based on it.

Ok, did that and there are only two routers in my area, mine and another one.

Also, i tried following the 'testing your ADSL in the master test socket' tutorial but it was far too complex and technical for me to understand, could you post a small guide instructing me what to do? For example, I have access to my master socket and the faceplate is already removed and has a microfilter inside it currently, what should I do with this? Also, what is 'ADSL equipment' and 'the short cable supplied with your ADSL modem'?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

With that screen shot, I would suggest that you try using channel 11.

Actually any channel from 6 up should be clean.

To prove/disprove the best channel, keep your computer still & don't move the WiFi adaptor and make a not of the WiFi channel & the RSSI value that you get. Also look at the time graph and look at your signal pattern.

Ideally the RSSI value want to be low (i.e. -51 is better than -73) and the time graph wants to be stable.

Your neighbour is using channel 1. This signal also covers the frequencies used by channels 2 & 3. Channel 5 will overlap channel 3. 6 is the first clean channel that won't overlap your neighbours WiFi.

You don't need to reconnect you PC between each channel change, but keep an Ethernet cable to hand as some computers can't access channels 12 & 13.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boomed View Post
      Also, i tried following the 'testing your ADSL in the master test socket' tutorial but it was far too complex and technical for me to understand, could you post a small guide instructing me what to do? For example, I have access to my master socket and the faceplate is already removed and has a microfilter inside it currently, what should I do with this? Also, what is 'ADSL equipment' and 'the short cable supplied with your ADSL modem'?
      Luckily majority of the spectrum is free in your vicinity. It should not really matter what channel you choose as long as it is greater then 6 as Scubbie has already told you.

With regards to the test socket. All you are meant to do is remove the faceplate. Connect a microfilter to the test socket and plug your router in (restart it too). Once you are in sync post your router stats.

The ADSL equipment refers to your router.
      The 'short grey dsl cable' refers to the dsl cable that came in the box with your router.

Thanks

Yeah I missed that...

Your Line Attenuation is very good.

What sort of building do you live in? i.e. block of flats, house

Do you have an NTE5 socket or something else? See this link for a picture of an NTE5 socket:

NTE5 Master Telephone Socket (NTB5)

You should be able to get nearer to 20,000kbps on the connection speed. One thing at a time though .

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Wierd, all I did was turned off uPnP and things seem to have drastically improved. Will update you on the matter tomorrow but if it stays like this I don't think i'll change anything for now.

EDIT: I live in a detached house.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boomed View Post
      Wierd, all I did was turned off uPnP and things seem to have drastically improved. Will update you on the matter tomorrow but if it stays like this I don't think i'll change anything for now.

EDIT: I live in a detached house.
      From that change in figures it is fairly clear that something was taking up your bandwidth.

Do you ever run torrents, for example? Perhaps you subscribe to an on-line backup tool?

Your location is good, but have you been able to identify the master socket and if it is an NTE5?

If you don't have an NTE5 socket, the master socket can always be recognised by a yellow capacitor, about the size of a AAA battery.

Some new properties have a grey box outside where the main telephone line come in to. Could you confirm if you have this or not too please?

If you are unsure, please follow your telephone line and take any pictures of the sockets & any junction boxes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast