Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband Speed Loss

This is a discussion on Broadband Speed Loss within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, of recent (2 or 3 days) the broadband speed in my house has dropped dramatically. I checked the ...

Dillanm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Broadband Speed Loss

Hi guys,

of recent (2 or 3 days) the broadband speed in my house has dropped dramatically. I checked the router homepage and apparently we're getting 8mb downstream but after doing a speed test I am only getting 200Kbps whilst connected via ethernet to the router. (that's at 11AM on a tuesday morning; hardly peak time). Before this speed drop we were getting upwards of 4-5Mbps.

I am using the new sky D-Link router and am on Sky Connect (the only sky broadband available in our area; killer). I have also noticed that the Internet light on the router frequently goes from flashing/solid green to flashing/solid orange and then back to green; as if it were re-starting itself.

I've tried plugging my filter into the BT master/test socket which yielded no connection speed increase and there was no crackling of the phone line; can I assume it is not a line problem?

I've also just reset the router to no avail, it did absolutely nothing for the speed. This is now driving me insane :P

UPDATE; (as of 12:35 I am getting 4Mbps) and it appears to have fixed itself; what happened?

Any help/advice/solutions would be greatly appreciated,

-Dillan
      Last edited by Dillanm; 02-08-11 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Added more info

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Broadband Speed Loss

Connect is a throttled product so your speed will vary depending on the bandwidth available throughout the day.

But you should not loose sync to the exchange. Plug your router into the test socket and see if your connection drops further.

Dillanm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Broadband Speed Loss

That does nothing, same speed. My speed changes from 4Mbps to 200Kbps very randomly over the course of a few days. I wouldn't even mind my connection speed dropping a bit if it were to drop to about 1mbps at least I could still do stuff. I can barely load pages etc at this speed, let alone play the games that I pay to play.

Any other solutions to try?