Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Good Noise Attenuation but ad SNR with constant connection drops

This is a discussion on Good Noise Attenuation but ad SNR with constant connection drops within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I live less than half a mile from my exchange. I have my Router plugged into the master socket ...

LegionUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Unhappy Good Noise Attenuation but ad SNR with constant connection drops

Hi,

I live less than half a mile from my exchange. I have my Router plugged into the master socket and I have the Sagem router from Sky.

When I check my Connectin Stats I get this:

Connection: Down-11263 kbps/Up-896 kbps
      Line Attenuation: Down-27.5 db/Up-12.2 db
      Noise Margin: Down-13.1 db/Up-8.0 db

Recently my connection has been very bad with it dropping alot, I hear a low SNR can cause this but is normally due to a long distance from the exchange (rural areas etc). I don't know why mine would be so bad.

Here is a copy of the log that gets produced everytime my connection drops:

Aug 2 10:59:01 (none) user.crit kernel: ADSL link down

Aug 2 10:59:02 (none) user.crit kernel: ADSL G.994 training

Aug 2 10:59:11 (none) user.crit kernel: ADSL G.992 started

Aug 2 10:59:16 (none) user.crit kernel: ADSL G.992 channel analysis

Aug 2 10:59:22 (none) user.crit kernel: ADSL G.992 message exchange

Aug 2 10:59:22 (none) user.crit kernel: ADSL link up, interleaved, us=896, ds=11263

Aug 2 10:59:27 (none) user.crit kernel: OAM loopback response not received on VPI/VCI 0/40.

Aug 2 10:59:30 (none) user.crit kernel: OAM loopback response not received on VPI/VCI 0/40.

Aug 2 10:59:34 (none) user.crit kernel: OAM loopback response not received on VPI/VCI 0/40.

Aug 2 10:59:43 (none) daemon.crit pppd[5334]: PPP LCP UP.

Aug 2 10:59:43 (none) daemon.crit pppd[5334]: Received valid IP address from server. Connection UP.

Aug 2 10:59:56 (none) user.alert kernel: Intrusion -> IN=ppp_0_38_1 OUT= MAC= SRC=209.170.97.236 DST=90.196.164.96 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=57 ID=8851 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=42172 DPT=54017 WINDOW=5840 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

Aug 2 10:59:59 (none) user.alert kernel: Intrusion -> IN=ppp_0_38_1 OUT= MAC= SRC=209.170.97.236 DST=90.196.164.96 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=57 ID=8852 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=42172 DPT=54017 WINDOW=5840 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
      Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks in advance!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Good Noise Attenuation but ad SNR with constant connection drops

Do you have a Test socket? If so plug your router in there using only the cables supplied by Sky. Run it for a few hours and see if the drop outs continue.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

The only problem is I have to connect to the Master Socket with an extension cable as the master is in the entrance corridor of the house. I don't have a wireless card in my PC so if I had my Router in the corridor I couldn't connect to the internet.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LegionUK View Post
      The only problem is I have to connect to the Master Socket with an extension cable as the master is in the entrance corridor of the house. I don't have a wireless card in my PC so if I had my Router in the corridor I couldn't connect to the internet.
      You'll likely find that will be causing issues.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

LegionUK (02-08-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      You'll likely find that will be causing issues.
      Yeah I was worried about it, is there any way to improve the issue whilst keeping it connected with an extension cable, are there high quality cables I good use?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

That is unfortunate. There is a good chance that the problems you are having are due to the extension cable you are using. It could also account for the relatively high attenuation you are showing. If you are only half a mile from the exchange, even allowing for a longer line length, your attenuation should be lower. Is there any possibility that you could get a friend with a laptop to come in and take your stats? These may give an indication of how much you are loosing with the extension and what can be done to overcome it. Even though the extension may have worked OK for a while, it is possibly the cause of all your problems.
      A quality cable made up of twisted pair wiring would be better than what you have.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

LegionUK (02-08-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That is unfortunate. There is a good chance that the problems you are having are due to the extension cable you are using. It could also account for the relatively high attenuation you are showing. If you are only half a mile from the exchange, even allowing for a longer line length, your attenuation should be lower. Is there any possibility that you could get a friend with a laptop to come in and take your stats? These may give an indication of how much you are loosing with the extension and what can be done to overcome it. Even though the extension may have worked OK for a while, it is possibly the cause of all your problems.
      Ok thanks, I'll get my friends laptop for a while and test it, I'll post back in this thread after I do to update on the situation.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If it is the extension cabling then run a dedicated ADSL extension fitted with filtered faceplate. The alternative if there is power next to the master is to use an Ethernet cable from the router rather than run a telephone extension, in this case still fit a filtered faceplate to isolate any internal wiring from the ADSL signal.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.