Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Downstream speed drops when ethernet cable is removed?

This is a discussion on Downstream speed drops when ethernet cable is removed? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Morning all Just curious for some help on a strange little issue i seem to be having. My current stats ...

craney13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Braintree
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Downstream speed drops when ethernet cable is removed?

Morning all

Just curious for some help on a strange little issue i seem to be having. My current stats are as follows

downstream 3424kbps
      upstream 824kbps

noise margin
      downstream 7.1db
      upstream 9db

Line Attenuation
      downstream 60.5
      upstream 31.5

This is with my desktop wired to my router with an ethernet cable no homeplugs just a direct connection, so i remove the wire as the mrs is moaning at me have it dangling around the sync the drops my near enough 1mb, these are the stats after removing the ethernet wire

downstream 2342kbps
      upstream 764kbps

noise margin
      downstream 7.2db
      upstream 9db

Line Attenuation
      downstream 60.5
      upstream 31.5

So when i got home from work i decided to connect the ethernet wire again and when i did the downstream noise margin crept up to 11.9db with the sync speed stated above so i knew there was room for more speed so i rebooted the router and i was now syncing with the speed at the top of this post.

I just dont understand why removing my cable from the router would cause such a massive loss in downstream, I have spoken to sky who are sending me out a new router to hopefully rule that out that was hard enough trying to get that i must say ended up having to power it off and say that it was not working at all. The longest sync i have ever had with the router is only 4 days that what a guy from the CST team told me who i would like to add have been very helpfull indeed. I have had a BT engineer out who hs fitted me a filtered faceplate at my 1st extension socket as well. I know its not my wiring at fault i live in a new house and the BB works fine it just drops out at least once every 24hrs, sometimes it syncs higher sometimes it drops a little but its always around the 3000kbps-3300kbps. I am on G.dmt at the mo and i am on a 4.8mb profile i believe this is the lowest profile they told me that i could have a max delay of 8ms on any lower and it would be up to 16ms

Sorry for the long winded post just wanted to make sure i put as much info in as possible

Thanks again hope someone could shed some light on this for me

Liam

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Thanks

Re: Downstream speed drops when ethernet cable is removed?

Would being on a profile that is to much for my line cause the constant disconections? Im tempted to ring sky and ask to be put down from the 4.8mb profile to maybe a 3mb one and take the plunge of having a max delay of 16 rather than 8 but i dont want to change it if it wont have much of an effect with stability

EDIT

I have just recieved my new router from sky and appears to be a DLINK model so might plug this in and see how it goes
      Last edited by craney13; 03-08-11 at 04:27 PM.

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craney13 View Post
      I have had a BT engineer out who hs fitted me a filtered faceplate at my 1st extension socket as well. I know its not my wiring at fault i live in a new house ...
      For best results the filtered faceplate shoud be fitted to the master socket.

Just because it is a new house doesn't mean necessarily that your wiring is OK.

and the BB works fine it just drops out at least once every 24hrs ...
      That's not fine.
      Tempting providence but I'm currently approaching 1000 hours up time (and that was after a power cut otherwise it would have been longer).
      No change in downstream speed and a couple of dB change in noise margin.

Plug into your test socket and post the results you get from there.

I would be inclined to suspect internal wiring is your problem.

One other thought is that the power supply to your router is failing and putting more noise on the line.
      With the ethernet cable connected the router is directly or indirectly earthed and that interference is being grounded.
      Try another suitable power supply if you have one.

Andy

Router:
      Thanks

Hi mate I have an external master socket so thats why i cant plug direct into it, the filtered faceplate is on the 1st extension socket into the property. The dlink router seemed to do the same thing dropped out around twice last night so pluged the sagemcom back in and so far its been up 13hrs but i waiting for it to go. When BT came last time he plugged into the socket i was using and he said it all looked fine, it was only showing a few FEC errors but nothing worth worrying about he said. He did mention as an alternate he could look at re-routing my line via a different cab but i dont know if that will help or not.

If im honest i dont download a great deal i play online games such as battlefield for maybe a few hrs at a time, i think i have only been disconnected while playing on a rare few occasions it just seems to happen early morning around 6-8am or around 2-4am. I am thinking of asking sky to drop me down to a 3mb profile and getting them to set my max delay a little higher to say 16ms to see if it helps with stability

Thanks so much for the responce

Liam