Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Need a new router

This is a discussion on Need a new router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by craney13 Here you are mate, although the picture shows a different model if you click on it ...

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Need a new router

Quote Originally Posted by craney13 View Post
      Here you are mate, although the picture shows a different model if you click on it it will show you the billion 7800n

Billion BiPAC 7800N 802.11n ADSL2+/Broadband Router (UK) Deals, #BiPAC7800N - Expansys.com UK
      Excellent find. Might just go for that.

2. Advertisement
      timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Just ordered the 7800N , I'll let you know how it goes.

MrMischief is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Barnabas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The Netgear DGN3500 looks like a nice router. This is an ADSL2+ compatible router, so should work without any major issues.

It shares many of the same features as the DGND3700 that I am using, but for around 50 less.

It only uses the 2.4GHz channels, but does support up to 300mbps over the WiFi.

The four 1Gbit ports should be useful to connect your computers to one another. If you want to plug a USB dongle or external drive into the USB port at the rear, you can share files between computers. It isn't a DLNA compatible port, meaning you can stream the content to a computer, but not to a TV that support DLNA, for example.

Looking at the Netgear forums, it seems to be relatively stable. a few minor problems is recent posts, but I personally wouldn't worry too much over those.

It also appears that you could use the USB port to support a 3G dongle, although you may need an extra item to support this.

DGN3500

Wireless Router & Modem Gateways - NETGEAR Forums
      Cheers Scubbie, I will look into that router. I am just trying to decide if it's worth getting my own router or use Sky's own. I have managed to extract the username and password, but I wouldn't know what other settings to put into the new router, such as MTU, etc.

I too am worried by Sky's advisers telling customers its not against the T & C's or they dont exist. Maybe they updated the T & C's quietly?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
      Just a word of warning. If you get your own router, don't be tempted to throw the Sky one away. If you ever have a Broadband issue, you will need to plug in the Sky router to call them, or they won't be able to help you. Best to stick it in a cupboard somewhere just in case.
      Cheers, thanks for the tip

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I too am worried by Sky's advisers telling customers its not against the T & C's or they dont exist. Maybe they updated the T & C's quietly?
      Strangely my bookmark link to the T & Cs which has worked for years, is giving a 404 error, which I think means the location has been changed. The only T & Cs I can find now are for Sky.com, the web site. Anyone have an up to date link to the Broadband, Talk and TV T & Cs?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Sky Terms and Conditions - New to Sky

Here...it says New To Sky, but I am sure it applies to existing customers as well.

gregnbaker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Iselworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I've just had a scan as I'm a new Sky BB/Talk customer, it still contains the language about only using the Sky-supplied router:
      (d) Sky Broadband must only be accessed via your Wireless Router. Your Wireless Router is not supplied as being capable of being used to access any other Internet service.
      What's confusing is the preamble:
      You must be an active Sky TV subscriber at all times during this Contract. If your Sky TV Contract ends or your viewing is suspended, Sky Broadband will automatically end/be suspended too (Condition 1(c))

I'm not a Sky TV customer which makes this whole set of Ts&Cs rather strange!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Thank you. It just confirms that the Sky router must be used

(d) Sky Broadband must only be accessed via your Wireless Router. Your Wireless Router is not supplied as being capable of being used to access any other Internet service.
      So this advisor, whoever she is, is giving out false information.

You must be an active Sky TV subscriber at all times during this Contract. If your Sky TV Contract ends or your viewing is suspended, Sky Broadband will automatically end/be suspended too (Condition 1(c))
      You would think they would have updated this by now!

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345