Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

This is a discussion on Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all! First post, so please be patient Over the last few years I have been receiving my Broadband via ...

rozel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

Hi all!

First post, so please be patient

Over the last few years I have been receiving my Broadband via EntaNet (ADSL Max) and have enjoyed almost maximum speeds of between 7.3 and 7.5 Mbps - I live close to my exchange and my line has been "cleaned".

Sky have now introduced LLU equipment to the exchange and consequently have been persuaded to move to Sky Broadband Unlimited for: -

1. Better Speeds - my initial tests using Sky's website suggested speeds between 11.6 and 17.6 Mbps although now I have signed up they are saying I should get between 10 and 20 Mbps. Either way the lowest is better than what I am getting now and if I don't get the minimum, after their 10-day diagnostic period, then I can get out free

2. Cost - currently I am paying over 19 per month for a 30Gb per month peak and Unlimited off-peak service

3. Download capability - I am persuaded to believe Sky will allow me an Unlimited service any time of the day/night and that on this service, they do not impose any Traffic Management Policy

My gut feelings are that things will not go smoothly but I will give them the benefit of doubt to see what they can actually deliver.

OK - my existing equipment is Netgear's: -

a. DG834G v3 working in "Modem Only Mode" married to: -

b. WNR3500 v1 Router

I would like to seriously keep this setup as the Router has a Gigabit Switch and wireless-N technology.

Given that both pieces of equipment are capable of processing ADSL2+ then I suppose what I need to know are what settings need I intoroduce to either of them and what else do I need to do? I have read about line "Profiles" - what are these, do they need changing when you move from ADSL Max to ADSL2+ and who is responsible for doing this etc etc? Do we leave our broadband on during the "live date" using our current equipment/settings or what?

I just want things to go smoothly. Our live date is Monday 8th August and I am currently waiting for Sky's package of stuff to arrive. I do not know what Router they will be sending me - anyone know for sure? I do not believe it has a Gigabit Ethernet switch, just the run of the mill 10/100, according to Sky's customer services, which is the reason why I do not want to use it.

Any help/advice etc would be appreciated.

Thank in anticipation

roz

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

Have you also taken Sky phone rental? If so many are having difficulty connecting their own routers due to the implementation of a form of MER. If you have retained BT rental, you will be on PPPoA and will not have this problem. What you may find is that you will receive Sky's new full wireless N router, no one knows yet whether the username and password will be obtainable for these. No matter what you get it is recommended that you use the Sky router until DLM completes on your line.

The DLM training period can last anything from 3 days to 10 days, during which time you must keep the router plugged in and powered up. Although it is impossible to put the Sky router into true modem only mode, you can connect another router to it, instructions on how best to do this are on the forum.

If you can post your connection stats, ie present sync, attenuation and noise margin of you present connection, we will be able to tell you approximately what speed you can expect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi and thanks for your reply.

No I haven't gone all the way with Sky - I am retaining my Line Rental with BT.

Thank you for your advice - I will indeed fix up, whatever I get from Sky in the first instance.

I wish I knew how to provide connection stats - I know how to do a speed test but as for attentuation, noise margin and synch etc I haven't the foggiest! You see my modem is the DG834G in "Modem Only Mode", which feeds it's signals to the WNR3500. When I login to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 - this get's me into the WNR3500 which doesn't seem to provide me the so called stats - heve tried before. Presumably I must disconnect the WNR3500 altogether to the test and then whether or not I need to then change the mode of operation of the DG834G or not, I am not sure. This is all too fiddly at this moment in time - just wish there was some software I could download to achieve this - I have looked around but all I seem to get are speed test softs.

roz

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

I would suggest that since you are currently using the Netgear DG834G effectively as a Modem, then you could continue to use the Netgear WNR3500 as your main router, provided that you are hocking it up through the Ethernet WAN port.

I have a Netgear DGND3700. It is able to connect either with it's own ADSL port or through the Ethernet WAN port. I have already been testing via the ADSL port and am currently using the Ethernet WAN port, with the Sagem 2304n working effectively as a Modem.

Currently my computers, etc. are connected either through cable or WiFi and the IP address range on my LAN is independent of the Sagem.

Getting back to your other questions, without knowing what your current Line Attenuation is (you could post your router's stats to help) it isn't easy to be more specific about your likely connection speed. There is a 'tools' link however at the top of this page. The option #3 on the page it links to should help. Since you are currently on ADSL2, you should add a couple to your current line attenuation to get a more accurate figure.

Sky has to be a little conservative with it's estimates. If they were to advise you that you will get 18Mb and your connection could only support 5Mb, you would be within your rights to claim compensation and leave as a dissatisfied customer.

As for transferring to Sky, most people have little cause for complaint. You tend to see problems on sites like this as people come here to get them resolved. If everything works fine, then why try to fix it?

I would also suggest that you read some tips on ensuring that you are making the most of your connection. The link below has some good tips. There is even more available on this site.

::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::

Finally Sky has started shipping a new router. This is a fully WiFi N rated router, but we do not have a huge amount of other information available at the moment.

It will be supplied free to new customers and from Monday 1st August, it will be available to existing customers for 35.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Most helpful Scubbie!

Yes I am connecting my Router to the Modem Only DG834G via Ethernet cable, I cannot see any other way - both products are quite old now.

I am now actively trying to get my line stats. I am presuming the WNR3500 won't give me these as it's not the modem - all I get when I login are the useage stats/collisions/time up/time down etc. Problem is that when I disconnect my router and switch the power off and then substitute the DG834G plugging the ethernet cable to my PC IE will not let me login - I have no effective connection! Of course I have reset the DG834G also but still I cannot seem to login to it

I will keep trying - I may have to restart the PC after making the new connections - we'll see - I am determined to submit my stats for analysis.

Regarding the new modem - are we sure we do not know the make/model yet?

I'll try chatting to Sky and see where that takes me - I will post anything I get.

In the meantime SamKnows tells me I am 1.03kms away from my exchange (straight line distance), so rounding this to 1.5kms - maybe I could just squeeze out 15mbps ?

Please keep all help coming through, it is much appreciated

roz

Thanks

Regarding the new modem - are we sure we do not know the make/model yet?
      It is a Sagemcom 2504N, if what we have been told is correct.

Your should be able to return the DG834 to full modem/router mode and log in using 192.168.0.1.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is a Sagemcom 2504N, if what we have been told is correct.

Your should be able to return the DG834 to full modem/router mode and log in using 192.168.0.1.
      Thanks - thought it was the 2304N, which I have read about in the Sky Forum, where Scubbie has been very informative - shows how much I know lol!

Yes, I know how to revert the DG834G to full modem/router mode, but must login first and that is what I am finding difficult

roz

Thanks

Try opening a Command Prompt and type ipconfig /all, this will show the address of the router. If you have been connecting through the other router you may have to flush the DNS or simply restart your PC, before you can connect to the DG, provided your PC is set to obtain the IP address automatically.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just been told by a guy in Sky's Technical Department that I will receive the newer modem - the 2504N. Now if it's Ethernet switch is a Gigabit one and not the more usual 10/100, then I would be a very happy bunny, assuming this is the model I do actually receive, as it will replace my older stuff very nicely

Going to disconnect my router now and switch it off and substitute my DG834G as if it were working in full router/modem mode and restart my PC.

roz

Thanks

It is not Gigabit unfortunately

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast