Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

This is a discussion on Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme You look good for around 1200kbps. Yes and quite a bit more too on my download ...

rozel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Re: Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You look good for around 1200kbps.
      Yes and quite a bit more too on my download speed

Thanks for the information. So do I assume that a PO has been manually requested which means that DLM will not kick in at all? Or will it kick in within a few days from now? I am very confused. If I spoke to them again now, what if anything can be done for the better?

Sorry to keep coming back, but what seemed a straight forward suggestion of giving Sky a sharp kick seems to possibly have complicated matters.

I know I am not alone with all this - there are others who are following this thread.

roz

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Downstream's at the target SNR, so you're unlikely to see any increase there.

Maybe Sky have manually requested a PO, only a call to them can confirm that. Even if they have, you have to understand that you're now back at square one waiting for the PO to kick in (the up to 72 hours advice usually given). This can and does sometimes take longer, with no amount of prodding Sky will help to quicken it up. This is why people should not be suspending DLM before it has a chance to finish.

Exchange:
      Thanks

User05 if I did not know better I would think that you worked at Sky - you are starting to come across contradictory to the splendid help and advice I have received from others in this thread. You seem to have "jumped in" just at the point where I started to post about DLM not having been activated.

Instead of telling me what has happened, after the event, maybe you should have jumped in a bit earlier and explained the process of how things work and may I be so bold as to add that judging from your post count, you should submit a Sticky in this respect.

From a new subscriber to Sky Broadband Unlimited and from what has already been said, I could be forgiven for thinking that firstly DLM would kick in from the moment I switched on my router and connected to the Internet. Next having not had it kicking in, then the purpose of the advice on this forum has been to speak with Sky and ask them to kick it in.

Following your posts after this, you now seem to suggest that I should not have done this as it has had the effect of putting me back to where I started. Maybe you could have pointed me in the right direction before I rang them, I mean you have had every opportunity to do so haven't you?

Then you say "Downstream's at the target SNR, so you're unlikely to see any increase there" - well I hope I will get more than 12.7/12.8 Mbps as I had hoped to get 14/15 Mbps following the advice here. No you are dampening my spirits after (and I say again) receiving superb help and advice from other contributors to this thread.

I now feel frustrated to h**l not having a clue about PO's and your comment "This is why people should not be suspending DLM before it has a chance to finish" has come too late now hasn't it? especially not knowing about the implications in the first place!

I have just spent another lousy 30 mins speaking with Sky - and of course, as usual, their so called technical advisors don't know their elbow from their a***s! That is until you badger and badger them to put you up the line, as I did earlier today and then speak with someone you have to assume knows what they are doing. Rant over - sorry but had to get a few things off my chest.

The chap on the phone just now confirmed a manual Profile Optimisation took place earlier and aske me to unplug my router for a few minutes so he could activate DLM. I must assume he knew what he was doing and after we hung up, I switched on my router once more. The stats now show: -

Connection Speed 13498 kbps 767 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.5 db 15.4 db
      Noise Margin 7.0 db 18.4 db

The up speed stats do not seem to have altered, save for Line Attenuation and I still do not know for sure whether DLM has kicked in or not! How can you tell?

This thing is driving me nuts now I must admit

roz

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rozel View Post
      User05 if I did not know better I would think that you worked at Sky - you are starting to come across contradictory to the splendid help and advice I have received from others in this thread.
      Whilst User05 does work for Sky, much of what he says is correct and he is one of those I have learnt from on this forum.

As for jumping in 'late' like many of us, if someone else is helping a thread, then he doesn't always jump in, except to steer it back on course.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Whilst User05 does work for Sky
      Hi Scubbie - well there's a suprise

He could take lessons from you without any doubt regarding how to come accross to members on here!

You take an active interest in members issues - and that is not just evident by your posts on here, I may add

So do you know how for sure I might be able to tell whether or not DLM is now active?

roz

Thanks

There's an age difference and I suspect that User05 might be a little tired, so please don't get upset. We each have different personalities. From what I have observed he does a good job too.

Essentially there is no way that you or I can see if DLM is still active on your line. It should be as the computer system does generate reports if it is disabled. These reports can identify who has disabled it and possibly cause them some trouble.

For now the only thing that can be done is to play the waiting game once more.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

There's nothing wrong with the speed that was predicted but sometimes the quality of your line does not live up to it. An example is this guy here who posted his stats today.

It is clear that his line is longer then yours but it is also clear that it is in better condition as he has more speed then you.

Just wanted to clarify this with regards to the predictions we make..

Moving on to your question now. There is no way to tell if DLM is running on your line or not from your end of the line.

You could flick your router on and off on regular intervals for the next few days and see if you are capped to a lower speed. If you are capped to a lower speed then optimization has not been suspended. If you are not capped then it probably has.

Personally I've never seen DLM do a better job on lines then what could be done manually unless it's a very very short line.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      Personally I've never seen DLM do a better job on lines then what could be done manually unless it's a very very short line.
      There are some examples on this forum where DLM has done both bad and good jobs. Personally I would suggest that it is best to see what DLM does first, then find out, if there is a problem, what else can be gained.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rozel View Post
      Hi Scubbie - well there's a suprise

He could take lessons from you without any doubt regarding how to come accross to members on here!
      I've plainly set out the procedures of which Sky should follow. Badgering someone on the phone is not going to get DLM sped up, nor will ranting about advisors' capabilities.

I'm straight to the point, here and on the phone. You're mistaking this for being rude. If you want to take a pop at my 'capabilities', then you're free to do so. However, with the amount of customers I talk to here and on the phone, they usually couldn't be more thankful.

Edit: And, yes, I understand the frustration from being told one thing and then another. This is precisely the reason why I'm chiming in to attempt to explain to you what position you're in, confirming how DLM actually functions.
      Last edited by User05; 13-08-11 at 12:23 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi all - just woke up and read your responses for which once more I am extremely grateful I have some comments and unsuprisingly some more questions lol.

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      I've plainly set out the procedures of which Sky should follow. Badgering someone on the phone is not going to get DLM sped up, nor will ranting about advisors' capabilities.

I'm straight to the point, here and on the phone. You're mistaking this for being rude. If you want to take a pop at my 'capabilities', then you're free to do so. However, with the amount of customers I talk to here and on the phone, they usually couldn't be more thankful.

Edit: And, yes, I understand the frustration from being told one thing and then another. This is precisely the reason why I'm chiming in to attempt to explain to you what position you're in, confirming how DLM actually functions.
      Yes you have set out the procedures but a little too late. I received advice to ring Sky and get them to turn DLM on. This I thought was a simple procedure and never expected the complications which set in regarding PO's etc. However when advisors say they have understood you and say they will do something about it, they nearly always leave you hanging on for 5 to 10 minutes and you end up in a queue waiting to speak to somebody else, who, when they pick up the phone, knows absolutely nothing about your query and asks you to go through security once more - Sky are the very worst at this technique and I have had loads of experience. This has happened constantly this week - in other words the advisors pretend to know what they are talking about, come across all very nicey nicey, but haven't a clue. When you ask to be put up the line to someone more senior, they take it as a slight against their character and their attitude changes for the worse. The lady yesterday was exactly like that and seemed to do a PO just out of spite without telling me the consequences. She plainly told me that DLM had started and would run for 10 days from then - later I found that it hadn't started at all! If I had been forearmed with all the information beforehand, then I wouldn't have rung them and simply waited.

I haven't said anything at all about rudeness - but this is what Sky do - they turn things back on you. User05 I too talk plainly and I am very grateful when I receive helpful advice etc, especially from people on forums like these where they spend considerable amounts of their time volutarily. I have not accused you of being rude, my rant earlier was all embracing merely pointing out that your timing could be better and suggesting a Sticky, so that new subscribers can understand the procedures more fully before starting out. The way Sky runs their Broadband Services, seem very different from those I have come accross before, which was why I started this thread in the first place. Hope you understand this - if for any reason at all you feel offended by my plain speaking, then I apologise fully

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      There's an age difference and I suspect that User05 might be a little tired

Essentially there is no way that you or I can see if DLM is still active on your line. It should be as the computer system does generate reports if it is disabled. For now the only thing that can be done is to play the waiting game once more.
      Crikey! how old are you User05? I am not being personal - but I am 58 and feel and think very young to stay feeling young - all about pmt (not the female kind hehe). But I must admit to enjoying a good night's sleep these days lol!

It is a pity that there is no absolute way to tell if DLM is on or off. I mean my Downspeed seems to have changed overnight, very very slightly but my upspeed hasn't changed at all, save for the line attenuation. What I am saying is, that if I don't know then I could be waiting another 10 days for nothing significant to happen couldn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      There's nothing wrong with the speed that was predicted but sometimes the quality of your line does not live up to it.
      Just wanted to clarify this with regards to the predictions we make..

From past experience, I understand the quality of my line to be very good. On several occasions, BT have "cleaned" it after which my former ADSL Max services improved. I assume therefore that I would ultimately get between 14 and 16 Mbps which you have told me and others too, including the Predictor on Kitz, that I should be able to receive - ie; more than double my former download speed of 7.4/7.5. This former speed was the actual speed of downloading, when downloading particular files. Right now, I am downloading at about 12.7/12.8, so I am hoping that my ultimate download speed will improve further. I am attaching my current stats.

So based on these stats what should I expect please?

roz
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited-router-stats-13.08.2011.jpg  

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast