Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

This is a discussion on Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thanks Isitme. Yes I am getting a wireless connection and it is securely encrypted as before. New devices in other ...

rozel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Re: Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

Thanks Isitme. Yes I am getting a wireless connection and it is securely encrypted as before. New devices in other words need to enter a pass key to obtain a connection - I am using WPA-PSK [TKIP], which although not the best, is compatible with all my devices. What I meant by my post above, was that the former logon details referred to my former Broadband Connection with Entanet. They required a logon, whereas, I think, Sky's is "built-in", needing a so called hack to obtain the details - am I right?

Thanks for your help - I will check the reference regarding the Firewall and some of the References Scubbie has posted, during the week end.

Still waiting for DLM to kick in - probably will be next week now

roz

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rozel View Post
      Still waiting for DLM to kick in - probably will be next week now
      DLM is an automated process that watches all of Sky's BB connections. It doesn't take time off for weekends of Bank Holidays.

Since you've been connected for 4 nights now, I would be inclined to call Sky and ask what it happening.

As I mentioned yesterday, earlier this year DLM failed to engage with some new customers, so I am wondering if it has happened again.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

whereas, I think, Sky's is "built-in", needing a so called hack to obtain the details - am I right?
      Yes the logon details are built into the Sky router, unlike many other ISPs who require you to enter them yourself. Sky have made it as dumb as they could, which confuses a lot of newbies who think you can plug any router in and it will automatically connect to Sky. I take it you have obtained your username and password from your router for possible future use.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      DLM is an automated process that watches all of Sky's BB connections. It doesn't take time off for weekends of Bank Holidays.

Since you've been connected for 4 nights now, I would be inclined to call Sky and ask what it happening.

As I mentioned yesterday, earlier this year DLM failed to engage with some new customers, so I am wondering if it has happened again.
      Doesn't poor customer service grate? Ughh - spoke with Technical yesterday who told me DLM had been requested and that it could not be speeded up. I got home about 30 mins ago and still no change from this morning so rang them again and this time asked for someone who knew what they were talking about and spoke to this condescending "woman" who told me it had been activated on 8th at 05.30am! This was some 12 hours before I switched on my new router lol! I then insisted I spoke with the highest level person within the Technical department - she came back to me after 5 minutes and told me that nothing could be done and fobbed me off completely once more - I then went into a "polite" rant and told her Sky's advertising was up the spout and low and behold I immediately got DLM activated Hah! An immediate resynch took place whilst I was logged into my router (I could see it from my stats) and suddenly the stats changed to: -

Connection Speed 13890 kbps 767 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.5 db 7.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.0 db 18.0 db

Average throughput now above 11 Mbps.

Yes it does seem you need to kick them firmly up the a**e

This woman didn't take too kindly to me saying that I knew what I was talking about and I think she pressed the button(s) simply to get one over me - but hey it did the trick!

Everything now seems to be working perfectly and I will be ok from here on in.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed - you have made a complicated job a rather simple one which is most appreciated. Hopefully in 10 days time (from today) I should be getting even higher speeds

roz

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

DLM can't be sped up, they're not lying. The DLM system requests a 'PO' (Profile Optimisation). It should kick in within 72 hours, but I've seen it take much, much longer in some cases. It can be suspended and manually done, but not sped up.

Unless they've manually requested another PO, which I doubt, I wouldn't expect anything over the next ten days. What's been done is not DLM, it's a manual re-profile.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      DLM can't be sped up, they're not lying. The DLM system requests a 'PO' (Profile Optimisation). It should kick in within 72 hours, but I've seen it take much, much longer in some cases. It can be suspended and manually done, but not sped up.

Unless they've manually requested another PO, which I doubt, I wouldn't expect anything over the next ten days. What's been done is not DLM, it's a manual re-profile.
      What I meant by being sped up is the speed at which it commences, not it's overall duration once started. I sincerely trust that it has started as this is what I was told

Perhaps someone could enlighten me more about all this as it's getting damn frustrating! I am downloading now at 12.8 Mbps

roz

Thanks

DLM may be running on your line, but not in training mode. As User points out, it has been manually configured. Sky personnel should not do this, but no doubt she did it just to get you off her back

She should have configured your upload at the same time though. They often seem to forget this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

So what should I do now for the best?

roz

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rozel View Post
      What I meant by being sped up is the speed at which it commences, not it's overall duration once started. I sincerely trust that it has started as this is what I was told

Perhaps someone could enlighten me more about all this as it's getting damn frustrating! I am downloading now at 12.8 Mbps

roz
      Even the speed in which the PO will kick in can't be sped up. The life cycle of DLM is as follows:

- Line is commissioned
      - PO is requested automatically
      - Typically, within 72 hours the PO will begin (can take longer as seen)
      - DLM will collate data throughout the day and assign a new profile between 1am-6am
      - Can last up to ten days (some take a few days before the PO finishes)
      - PO finishes once the line is seen as optimised
      - DLM continues to monitor and collate data. A PO can kick in at any time if the data suggests the line is not optimised / unstable.

Sky can suspend DLM to manually profile it, but it shouldn't be done before the first PO is finished. The PO cannot be sped up in any way other than suspending DLM and doing it manually. Unless Sky have resumed DLM and also requested another PO manually, then you won't see any changes to your stats. Unfortunately, I don't hold much trust in quite a few of Sky's employees so I doubt this has been done - I could be wrong, of course.

Thanks

I would give it a few days, if the upload does not improve call them and ask them to raise it. You look good for around 1200kbps.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast