Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

This is a discussion on Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As Exdee has posted the speed, all I can say is that I concur, provided that your line is fine ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

As Exdee has posted the speed, all I can say is that I concur, provided that your line is fine and that everything else is connected well. The Tool on this site suggests 16Mb+ for your line attenuation.

Quote Originally Posted by rozel View Post
      Edit - got the wife connected, although I had to change the WiFi channel from auto to 6 - signal strength good - we had excellent before, suggesting it will be useless upstairs.
      Unfortunately Sky's current advertising campaign 'Demand Better' doesn't seem to extend to the quality of their routers.

If you set up the pair as I described, then all should be fine.

For reference, if the D-Link doesn't like anything, then you can easily undo all the settings and return it to the state it was in when you removed it from the box. To clear all the settings, whilst the power is on, press and hold the 'Reset' button for around 10 seconds.

If there is a firmware update which doesn't work, there is another process, but leave that for another day when it is needed.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Thank you Exdee

And Up ?

roz
      Up speed should be around 1,000kbps or 1Mb. It can vary between 600kbps-1200kbps.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

rozel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Thanks again - I will be "tinkering" later

BTW on logging into my Sky Account it says: -

Your Connection Details

"Line testing is not currently in progress on your telephone line"

Does testing not start straight away?

roz

Thanks

The My Sky page typically take 3 days to update.

DLM can start changing your connection speed at anytime over the next three days.

Once started it can take up to 10 days to complete. It can take a few days, but it can rarely run over the 10 days.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Update....

I have left things as they are for now as the wireless doesn't seem as bad as I was expecting. For some reason though I cannot get my PS3 to go online and this is connected by Ethernet!

What worries me though is that it's now just turned Day 3 and my stats haven't altered from Day 1 - DLM hasn't yet kicked in. My Up Time is now about 37 hours and obviously it seems no testing is currently being done - current download speed remains at 3.7/3.8 Mbps. Day 3 stats attached. Am I worrying unecessarily?

roz
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited-day-3-stats.jpg  

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

What worries me though is that it's now just turned Day 3 and my stats haven't altered from Day 1 - DLM hasn't yet kicked in. My Up Time is now about 37 hours and obviously it seems no testing is currently being done - current download speed remains at 3.7/3.8 Mbps. Day 3 stats attached. Am I worrying unecessarily?

roz
      Yes. So far there's nothing to worry about. DLM will probably kick in tonight or the next night. And then as pointed out it could take 10 days to complete or much else even. 5 days in my case.

Thanks

For some reason though I cannot get my PS3 to go online and this is connected by Ethernet!
      Check out the Gaming section of this forum for details on how to configure the router for your PS/3.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi again guys!

I followed Scubbie's instructions to the letter (post #49) and initially had a wireless connection problem.

Scratching my head somewhat, I realised that I no longer need a "logon" for the WNR3500, so changed the settings as per the attachment, in particular - it seems that by changing the D-Link router's IP Address, this has effectively changed my "Gateway Address" - am I correct in this assumption? This may have consequencies for various devices that I connect to my network.

Last night I tried again to connect my PS3 to the internet (it's connected to my network via Ethernet) and somehow, I didn't have any DNS Server Error and it connected very smoothly

I haven't tried yet since I married my WNR3500 to the D-Link, but it seems my wife can get her wireless connection - (the main thing lol!).

I would like to know why there are various options regarding DNS Server settings? I am using the ones quoted for Sky but why are there others and will these affect download/surfing speeds?

BTW DLM hasn't yet kicked in.

roz
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited-new-wnr3500-settings-1.jpg  

Thanks

Nice to see it is all up & running.

Hi again guys!
      ...and Girls?

I followed Scubbie's instructions to the letter (post #49) and initially had a wireless connection problem.

Scratching my head somewhat, I realised that I no longer need a "logon" for the WNR3500, so changed the settings as per the attachment, in particular - it seems that by changing the D-Link router's IP Address, this has effectively changed my "Gateway Address" - am I correct in this assumption? This may have consequencies for various devices that I connect to my network.
      The 'Gateway Address' shown is the connection from the WNR3500 to D-Link. If you need to view your Internet IP Address, you will need to use the D-Link to view this. You should be able to sign in to the D-Link whilst connected through the WNR3500. This was certainly possible on my own set up.

As for any devices having issues, they should all be absolutely fine. The outside would will only see your Internet IP address. To prove this, visit a site that reports your IP address (i.e. Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test ).

Last night I tried again to connect my PS3 to the internet (it's connected to my network via Ethernet) and somehow, I didn't have any DNS Server Error and it connected very smoothly
      This will be because the PS3 is using the WNR3500 as it's access point to the Internet. The WNR3500 is providing all the permissions and these are passing straight through the D-Link as the WNR3500 is in the D-Link's DMZ settings.

I haven't tried yet since I married my WNR3500 to the D-Link, but it seems my wife can get her wireless connection - (the main thing lol!).
      You can sleep easy then.

I would like to know why there are various options regarding DNS Server settings? I am using the ones quoted for Sky but why are there others and will these affect download/surfing speeds?
      Opinions vary. Essentially some servers respond quicker than others. Also some DNS servers hold a better database engine.

Read this article: DNS Servers - What Is a DNS Server?

BTW DLM hasn't yet kicked in.
      You'll need to check the router stats on the D-Link. If you type '192.168.2.1' into your browser, you should be able to access it without any problems, even when connecting through the WNR3500.

Specifically look at the WAN Up time. Once DLM kicks in, this will reset between 1am to 6am, but will typically occur between 2am & 3am. If it hasn't changed by 9am tomorrow morning, give Sky a friendly call to see if it needs a friendly kick-start.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Scratching my head somewhat, I realised that I no longer need a "logon" for the WNR3500,
      I am a wee bit worried by this. Using wireless you should be logging on to the Netgear using its pass key. If you are not having to do this then your network is open. Check in your wireless settings, on the Netgear, that the wireless security is enabled. If your pass key is already entered in your devices and you are set to connect automatically, that's OK.

Just to be sure your external firewall is working OK, visit https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and do a test. Make sure the device you use to tests software firewall is turned off.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast