Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

This is a discussion on Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Doing it this way, the D-Link is only connecting to the Internet and sharing it's connection for the WNR3500. The ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

Doing it this way, the D-Link is only connecting to the Internet and sharing it's connection for the WNR3500.

The WNR3500 (a cable router) has already been configured for the OP's LAN, acts as the DHCP server for it and he is already familiar with the WiFi settings, etc.

With my current layout I can see both the Sky router & the Netgear router. Each requires their own IP range, otherwise there will be a clash on my home network.

The OP's default IP range is identical to Sky's. By changing the Sky router to suit, there is less disruption to the OP's LAN IMHO.

Of course there will be lots of other ways to configure the network, I just think that this would be the smoothest way to transition from one ISP to another in this instance.

My current layout:

Telephone line --> Sagem 2304n --> Netgear DGND3700 (via Ethernet WAN port)
      Internet IP address --> 192.168.6.1 --> 192.168.6.250

The Netgear DGND3700 is then free to have it's own IP address range. This could be in any of the following blocks, so long as it is not the same as the Sagem:

• 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
      • 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
      • 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

rozel (06-08-11)

3. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Unless he's going to make use of the other ethernet ports on the dlink router he does not need to do this.

I was thinking along the lines of:
      - Leaving the Dlink as 192.168.0.1, disabling DHCP and wifi.
      - Configuring the Netgear router to be 192.168.0.2 and adding it to the dlinks DMZ.
      - Configuring the DHCP range on the Netgear from 192.168.0.3 onwards.

Simple isn't it?

But like you said it comes down to personal preference..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

rozel (06-08-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      But like you said it comes down to personal preference..
      Yes both solutions will work. The option I went for uses the Ethernet WAN port, leaving the Ethernet LAN ports all available for use as before.

By leaving the DHCP enabled on the D-Link, should the OP plug something into the D-Link router, then it would be able to gain access to the Internet, avoiding the Netgear & he would be able to access the User Interface from this port if there were any other issues in the future.

Ultimately it would have been far better for Sky to have started supplying more up to date routers 2 or more years ago, then this would not have been needed.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

rozel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Hiyyyaaa!

This is awesome stuff guys - thank you so much I wasn't thinking of using the Ethernet Ports on the D-Link Router - once setup the way Scubbie has explained, I didn't think you could. Could be useful to fall back on in the future though

It all sounds a little complicated, but from what has been laid down, I should be able to follow it. Initially, I will simply plug in the D-Link and see how it performs straight out of the box. I have yet to read through the instructions that came with it.

I will then take things from there.

Roll on Monday!

Have a great week end

roz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rozel View Post
      Roll on Monday!

Have a great week end
      You too.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Right then: -

1. I am on the "early shift" today, so hopefully when I get home the wife will have lost her Internet until I plug in the Sky Router. I presume I can forget about the CD (I have my own Security Software so don't need what's on the CD) and simply disconnect my setup and plug in the D-Link? Will that alone get me connected via Ethernet?

2. I can follow Scubbie's instructions I think to get my Router attached to the D-Link but can I ask a simple question so that I can get a better understanding into my head please? I presume if I try to connect my other PC's/Laptop/Phone/PS3 via WiFi, with just the D-Link connected, I will have to change the Device settings to those compatible with the Sky Router? In other words, using Scubbie's instructions to connect the WNR3500, I won't need to change anything on the actual devices themselves, as they will continue to use their present settings? Have I got this right? It took me forever to setup my present WiFi network so need to know the implications before I start.

3. The wife is already complaining about the loss of WiFi later today, at whatever time Sky switch us over, so I probably will want to connect the WNR3500 as quickly as possible when I get home later this afternoon. I presume connecting the WNR3500 to the D-Link will not upset Sky's diagnostics etc, during the initial 10-day connection period?

4. And finally can I ask, will I still be able to login to the D-Link router as well as the WNR3500 when both are connected? At the moment, I cannot login to my existing modem, the DH834G v3, until I revert it back to full modem/Router Mode and connect it independently.

Sorry to come back with these questions but modems/routers do my head in - they are technical things especially in the hands of the uninitiated like me I am PC savvy, otherwise I wouldn't have come on here in the first place but once people start talking "Networking" and all that jazz, I am lost before I start lol! So I suppose what I am saying is that I will probably be coming back for more help later hehe!

Thanks again

roz

Thanks

1. I am on the "early shift" today, so hopefully when I get home the wife will have lost her Internet until I plug in the Sky Router. I presume I can forget about the CD (I have my own Security Software so don't need what's on the CD) and simply disconnect my setup and plug in the D-Link? Will that alone get me connected via Ethernet?
      The default IP address range of your Sky router is identical to the WNR3500. Swapping it in to replace both the DG834G & the WNR3500 will work.

You are absolutely correct in not having to use the Sky software. Don't loose the CD though as it contains a few useful tools that you might need in the future.

2. I can follow Scubbie's instructions I think to get my Router attached to the D-Link but can I ask a simple question so that I can get a better understanding into my head please? I presume if I try to connect my other PC's/Laptop/Phone/PS3 via WiFi, with just the D-Link connected, I will have to change the Device settings to those compatible with the Sky Router? In other words, using Scubbie's instructions to connect the WNR3500, I won't need to change anything on the actual devices themselves, as they will continue to use their present settings? Have I got this right? It took me forever to setup my present WiFi network so need to know the implications before I start.
      Correct. Following the instructions that I provided the Sky router's WiFi would be disabled and everything will continue to connect via the WNR3500.

Whilst it would be possible to connect a device using an Ethernet cable to the D-Link router, it would be simpler to ignore that and continue to use the WNR3500.

If you intend to take this approach, then you can change the D-Link settings whether or not the Internet has been switched over. Once it has been changed, you can then plug in the D-Link, connect the WNR3500 to it and change the WNR3500's settings.

3. The wife is already complaining about the loss of WiFi later today, at whatever time Sky switch us over, so I probably will want to connect the WNR3500 as quickly as possible when I get home later this afternoon. I presume connecting the WNR3500 to the D-Link will not upset Sky's diagnostics etc, during the initial 10-day connection period?
      So long as there is an ADSL2+ router or modem connected, the DLM process will work just fine. It collects data 24/7. Swapping over the routers like this will not mess it up.

4. And finally can I ask, will I still be able to login to the D-Link router as well as the WNR3500 when both are connected? At the moment, I cannot login to my existing modem, the DH834G v3, until I revert it back to full modem/Router Mode and connect it independently.
      I presume that you can do this via the WNR3500. If not, plug an Ethernet cable into the D-Link and you will.

I swapped back to using my Netgear DGND3700 as the sole router on my LAN this week, but I could access and change my Sagem 2304n settings last week even though I was connected to the Netgear. The IP ranges were compatible, like the ones i proposed for yourself.

Sorry to come back with these questions but modems/routers do my head in - they are technical things especially in the hands of the uninitiated like me I am PC savvy, otherwise I wouldn't have come on here in the first place but once people start talking "Networking" and all that jazz, I am lost before I start lol! So I suppose what I am saying is that I will probably be coming back for more help later hehe!
      No problem. We all start somewhere .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

rozel (08-08-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

As always the star Scubbie - many thanks again

Okdoki - wife out all morning as she needed the net and we both arrived home together 45 mins ago to find no net. I simply plugged in the D-Link after disconnecting the DG834G switched the adsl cable and my PC's ethernet cable as well and voila! Sky BB Internet perfectly

I'm attaching my stats from the D-Link - maybe you will enlighten me further on what I may expect in due course, speed-wise, both up and down.

I am now going to see if the wife can connect her laptop and then later this evening, I will try connecting the WNR3500.

Cheers

Edit - got the wife connected, although I had to change the WiFi channel from auto to 6 - signal strength good - we had excellent before, suggesting it will be useless upstairs.

roz
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited-ist-day-stats.jpg  
      Last edited by rozel; 08-08-11 at 04:47 PM.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Should be able to get between 14-15 Mb.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

rozel (08-08-11)

Exchange: