Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

This is a discussion on Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme You will have to hope that the firmware has not been updated, or you will have ...

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You will have to hope that the firmware has not been updated, or you will have to back date it to get the details out. Have a look at Fuzzy's thread here for information.
      Sky D-Link DSL-2640S Router How To Get Your Username & Password

The router has to be connected to the internet to get the details out, but I am not sure whether it has to sync with Sky or whether it would work on your existing connection. It may be mentioned in the thread, or maybe Fuzzy will post and keep you right.
      When I got my Dlink I had to downdate the firmware first.

As for connecting to the Internet , with the latest version of the extraction script that is not necessary so don't connect it.

2. Advertisement
      rozel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Ok guys, slow down a wee bit please - I did say that I was not sure under what circumstances I would need to extract the username and password, and despite your good intentions, I still don't

All I would want to do is utilise the D-Link as the modem and marry my Netgear WNR3500 to it, acting as the Router.

Will this necessitate extracting the username and password from the D-Link? If so why?

roz

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

If you intend to use the D-Link like you were using the Netgear DG834G, then could you answer my last question please?

What is the WAN IP Address shown on the WND3500?
      This way you wouldn't need to extract any password.

I was going to suggest what you would need to do to the D-Link router and if any changes were required for the WND3500.

It may help if you could take a screen dump of the 'Basic Settings' page from the Netgear WND3500.

I have attached two screen dumps from my own so that you can see what I am on about. I have also circled the IP Addresses in red. The first picture shows the IP address of my Sagem 2304n router. In your case this would currently be the Netgear DG834G. Don't be confused as I have changed them to a different set of numbers to the standard from Sky.

The 2nd screen dump show the current DNS Server settings for the Sky servers. I would expect yours to be different. If you can show what these are currently set to though, we can see if they will need to be left alone or changed.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited-basic-setting-01.jpg   Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited-basic-setting-02.jpg  

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rozel View Post
      All I would want to do is utilise the D-Link as the modem and marry my Netgear WNR3500 to it, acting as the Router.

Will this necessitate extracting the username and password from the D-Link? If so why?
      Don't need to extract the username and password in that case.

Just do the following:
      - Switch off wireless on the sky router
      - Switch off DHCP on the sky router
      - Add your netgear router to the sky routers DMZ
      - Enable wireless and DHCP on the Netgear router and configure the firewall.

Thanks

I'm thinking along the same lines as Exdee, but I would like to know how the WND3500 is configured first.

It may be that it is all set to the common default values, or it may be slightly different. Once we know how it is set up, specific advise can be given.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Right then - I have attached a pic from my router, where you can see currently, Entanet have assigned me a static IP Address and the Domain Name Servers are assigned Automatically.

Thanks for taking a complete interest in this, it really is most appreciated

My aim now is to firstly "get connected" using the D-Link straight out of the box, on it's own. I will review wireless and ethernet connectivity, during the 10 days Sky will be testing my line.

However I can almost guarantee without n-draft wireless and Gigabit ethernet, things will be poor all round. At the end of the 10 days, or so, I will then want to connect the WNR3500 to the D-Link, using the D-Link as the Modem only.

Once my new Router comes from Sky, I will start over.

I await your further thoughts and advices - apologies for the long gaps between my posts - I work shifts. This week I have worked Lates, next week I am on Earlies.

Thanks again

roz
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited-image3.jpg  

Thanks

Thank you for that screen shot.

It does answer some questions, so I am almost there. The IP address isn't fully readable, but this isn't a problem.

Could you confirm the IP address that you are using to refer to the WNR3500 please?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Not sure I want to reveal my static IP address - I am attaching a further screen shot - does this help you?

roz
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited-image3a.jpg  

Thanks

That's great.

Since your WNR3500 uses the same IP range as the Sky router, then you'll need to do the following with the D-Link:

Change the IP range on the D-Link
      Set the DMZ for the WNR3500
      Disable the WiFi

You will also need to set the WNR3500 to have a fixed IP address for it's Ethernet WAN connection.

So how do you do this?

Connect to the D-Link router by using an Ethernet cable & disable the WiFi on the computer that you are using.

Click the 'Advanced' tab, then click then 'LAN IP Setup' tab.

Change the 'LAN TCP/IP Setup' settings so that the 'IP Address' address uses a different range. There are specific ranges suitable for a home network. I would suggest that you change this to '192.168.2.1' the important number to change is the 3rd part.

For now leave the 'DHCP Server' option enabled and click 'Apply'.

The will save the settings and you may need to disconnect the Sky router afterwards and then sign on again. Remember this time that the new address is '192.168.2.1'. The username & password will remain the same.

Now you click the 'Advanced' tab and set the 'Default DMZ Server'. This will become the address for the Ethernet Wan port on your WNR3500. Can you please set this to '192.168.2.250' and click the box to enable this option.

Click 'Apply' to save these settings.

Now Click the 'Setup' tab and under the heading 'Wireless Access Point' untick 'Enable Wireless Access Point' & 'Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)' and click 'Apply'.

Click the 'Maintenance' tab, followed by the 'Backup Settings' tab. Beside the heading 'Save a Copy of Current Settings' click 'Backup'. This will allow you to save all your new settings, should they become lost.

You can now disconnect the D-Link router from your computer and re-enable the WiFi. The D-Link is now ready to be put in place to work effectively as a Modem.

When you come to put it in place, you will need to assign a fixed IP address to the WNR3500. This will be on you 'Basic Settings' page. Change the static IP address to '192.168.2.250'.

If you would like to change the DNS server settings (currently they are set to auto) then you have a few choices to make:

Sky: 90.207.238.97 & 90.207.238.99
      Google: 8.8.8.8. & 8.8.4.4
      OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220

There are others available, but these are the most popular for Sky users.

Again you may wish to save your settings for the WNR3500. I would always recommend this as in the event that you should have a problem, you can always restore things.

P.S. You may wish to print this off before going through it all

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

rozel (06-08-11)

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      That's great.

Since your WNR3500 uses the same IP range as the Sky router, then you'll need to do the following with the D-Link:

Change the IP range on the D-Link
      Set the DMZ for the WNR3500
      Disable the WiFi
      Hmm.. What's the need for that?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast