Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

This is a discussion on Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You would not need to worry about the Netgear DG834G. Pressing the reset button would clear all this anyway. The ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

You would not need to worry about the Netgear DG834G. Pressing the reset button would clear all this anyway.

The Netgear DG834G would be physically replaced by the Sky router.

All you would need to be concerned over are the following:

• the default Sky IP address range is 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.255, with the Sky using 192.168.0.1
      • disabling the WiFi on the Sky router
      • if you have set a fixed IP address for your Netgear WNR3500 on the WAN port, then you may want to ensure that this will be fine with the Sky router
      • if you are using the address range 192.168.0.x on the Netgear WNR3500 for your LAN, then you will need to choose between changing the Sky router or the Netgear WNR3500 so that you don't use the same range on both

The guide will talk you through configuring both routers as it is aimed at a new setup, but it is easy enough to apply the knowledge to an existing setup.

If you have any questions on how to configure further, please feel free to ask.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      rozel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Scubbie - thanks again mate. I have to dash off to work now - I'll try to comprehend what you have detailed and maybe back tomorrow

roz

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am told that it's impossible once you have changed it over from Modem/Router mode (what it was designed for) to Modem Only mode, as it is now. I certainly cannot login to it now to check my line's stats for example, as previously stated. The Netgear forums say it's difficult but not impossible - we'll see.
      As Scubbie says, this should be possible by doing a factory reset. Why the Netgear forums don't suggest this I just don't know.
      Scubbie likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ahh right I see that there is a small recessed button that presumably you can press with a small pen or paper clip - I had forgot about that and didn't know that by doing so, it would revert the router back to the original factory settings as a modem/router. Marvellous!

Ok then, I will now sit back and await my new Sky offering next Monday - my "package" should be with me today, everything seems on track and ready to go on Monday. Not sure what time things will "change-over" - I am working the early shift on Monday but could plug the Sky Router in before I leave for work at 4am - would this be advisable, as otherwise I won't be home until around 3pm? What do you think? I mean what would be good is if I could set everything up and upon switch over, wireless internet would be on for my wife, who works from home. Maybe I might be asking too much here, but would like to prepare as much as possible.

roz

Thanks

It isn't crucial whether or not you plug the Sky router in before the connection time.

Leaving your existing router connected will be just fine. If when you get home you do not have any Internet, then just swap in the Sky router.

In the mean time, I would recommend that you take a look at the IP settings for your Netgear WNR3500.

As already mentioned the Sky router will use 192.168.0.1 as it's address. if the Netgear WNR3500 uses the same address range for your LAN, then this will be a problem.

At the same time, you will need to be prepared to change the WAN address to ensure that it picks up the Sky router if this is not the same.

You may also need to change the DNS Server addresses if you have been using your provider's servers. Sky's are:

Alternatively you can use various public DNS servers.

OpenDNS:

Google:

Others: Public DNS Servers
      ::. Kitz - DNS and mail servers .::

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well I am off to a bad start - my Router arrived today, the old D-Linkl DSL-2604S

This is not n-draft for wireless which is going to be essential for me. I am not sure under what circumstances you need to extract the username/password etc, but will it be possible to connect up on Monday my WNR3500 router to this DSL unit? Or will it be a complete pain?

I am on the phone now with the Sky CS team requesting the despatch of an n-draft router, presumably the Saegem 2504N, which I was promised last week. I am aware having read the posts elsewhere in this forum that there has been a delay in despatching this router, although I feel sure that there are members out there who have received it - am I wrong in this assertion? Anyway, the lovely Kellen could only ask me to ring back on or around the 15th August to progress this matter although a note has been placed on my account (alledgedly lol) to the effect that "as the customer requested an n-draft router at the point of sale, that a n-draft router will be despatched free of charge, once they become available. God knows how long that will take!

So it looks like I will have to immediately plug in the D-Link and marry this to my WNR3500. Hopefully this will be possible with the minimum of fuss? (keeping my fingers crossed). Btw, it took over 1 hour on the phone to get to this point after ringing them at about 10.10am

Been looking through my account and there isn't yet any note that I can see regarding their promise

roz

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

The memo/note is added to your account via one of Sky's internal systems, 'Chordiant'. You won't be able to see it from any documentation on your end.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

rozel (04-08-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for that - now can I marry the D-Link to my existing Netgear WNR3500?

roz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rozel View Post
      Thanks for that - now can I marry the D-Link to my existing Netgear WNR3500?
      What is the WAN IP Address shown on the WND3500?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am not sure under what circumstances you need to extract the username/password etc,
      You will have to hope that the firmware has not been updated, or you will have to back date it to get the details out. Have a look at Fuzzy's thread here for information.
      Sky D-Link DSL-2640S Router How To Get Your Username & Password

The router has to be connected to the internet to get the details out, but I am not sure whether it has to sync with Sky or whether it would work on your existing connection. It may be mentioned in the thread, or maybe Fuzzy will post and keep you right.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast