Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

This is a discussion on Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Oh well - can't have everything sometimes eh? I have tried again to login to the DG834G but it ain't ...

rozel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Re: Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

Oh well - can't have everything sometimes eh?

I have tried again to login to the DG834G but it ain't responding. God knows why I can't - when it's connected on it's own, in modem only mode, there isn't a gateway, according to the ipconfig /all command but when I connect it to the WNR3500 all is well other than the fact that when I type 192.168.0.1 it takes me to it and not the DG834G.

Seems I'm doomed!

I will await my package next week, when hopefully, I will be able to set it going with my existing service? If not then I will wait until the 8th.

Thanks for your help

roz

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You can't connect because DHCP is turned off. You need to set up a static ip address on your computer to be able to access the dg834g.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      You can't connect because DHCP is turned off. You need to set up a static ip address on your computer to be able to access the dg834g.
      Thanks.

Just a tad too technical for me Could you please enlighten me a little more please?

roz

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Thanks

Follow this guide: Set Static IP Address in Windows 7

Use the following values in step 5:
      ip address: 192.168.0.50
      subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
      default gateway: 192.168.0.1
      primary dns: 192.168.0.1
      secondary dns: blank

Click ok. Wait for the changes to take place. Then go to 192.168.0.1 in your browser.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

If you were to plug a PC or Laptop directly into one of the Ethernet ports on the DG834, and manually set the IP address of that computer, then you should be able to access the config page.

Double check the WAN IP address by looking at the WNR3500.

If for example the DG834's IP address is 192.168.0.1, then your computer can be set to anything from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.255, so long as it isn't the same as the WNR3500.

The specific instructions on setting you computer's IP address will vary according to the OS you have installed. A quick Google will find the correct instructions. Do this 1st & print them off.

Once you have done all this, you will need the instructions again so that you can undo the task and plug your computer back into the WNR3500.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Cheers - I will give it a go after tea

roz

Exchange:
      Thanks

Nah it's all too complicated - thank you for making the suggestions but I'm afraid to tinker for fear of upsetting my existing settings which have proved so reliable. All being well on the 8th I will simply unplug everything, substitute the new Router from Sky and see where we go from there. I am told there won't be a problem using my existing setup alongside Sky anyway and after the running-in period I may well swap back depending on what speeds I am getting. However I definately need a Gigabit Switch as I run an extensive network within my house. Entanet has given me a Static IP address - what do Sky do? I mean do they allocate IP adresses dynamically, when connecting to the net? All my eqipment have specific IP adresses already allocated and I do not want to mess with them. Ultimately my Gateway will remain 192.168.0.1 as it always has been so everything I have can continue to access the internet. These are the sort of settings I am not going to mess with.

Presumably if I get slow speeds initially, Sky will run diagnostic tests? Which will presumably include Line Attenuation tests etc? and without the need for me to supply them with anything manually?

I am now going to be patient and wait - as I have already said I get the top end speed running ADSL Max, so on the face of it I should get approaching the top end speed with ADS2+ as well - yes? I mean Line attenuation rates don't fluctuate depending upon what service you use do they? I have also heard mention of "Profiles". I presume Sky will change the profile as necessary with BT Wholesale won't they?

roz

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

as I have already said I get the top end speed running ADSL Max, so on the face of it should get approaching the top end of ADS2+ as well - yes?
      Not necessarily. It depends on your existing noise margin. eg. If you are getting 8Mb, with a low noise margin say 6db, that would probably allow you a small increase in speed. If you have 8Mb with a double figure noise margin, then you would be looking at a good increase, possibly to the maximum, depending on your attenuation. ADSL2+ does not double your speed as many think..

You will have a dynamic address with Sky, but this has no bearing on the addresses of your LAN. These will work just the same as they would with a static address.

'Profiles' have a different meaning with Sky than they do with BT. Don't worry, you connection will be configured for its best speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm even more confused now lol! I have always made sure that my line is "clean" - by that I mean, I have periodically spoken with BT to tweak the line so that when you speak, it nearly echoes, but not quite. I don't understand what you mean by noise margins. I am close to the exchange 1.03km's straight line and have always managed to get towards the top end of whatever line technologies are used - I don't see why I should not do so this time. Sky tell me I should get between 10/20 Mbps and my test, using their site, suggests 11.6/17.6 mbps.

10 is better than I am getting now and would be worth the switch - anything over that will be a bonus If I don't get at least 10, then I'm outta here within Sky's 3 month guarantee. If I have to, I will go back to Entanet, who have always been brilliant. I didn't want to go with Sky anyhow as I am looking to withdraw my services and reduce my monthly TV subscription - 62 pm is just madness right now. Our TV transmitter is switching off analogue transmissions next week and will be increasing the power to the ITV muliplex, which hitherto we have been unable to receive via FreeView/FreeSat. However Freesat HD maybe the way we will go and leave a minimum service with Sky.

The whole picture is starting to change in our area - but Sky Broadband Unlimited has been recommended by various people I know and if it delivers on download speed then I will stick with it - time will tell as always.

Thanks once again

roz

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey guys!

I asked my current ISP to run a line test for some stats as they are at present.

Here is what they have reported on my current ADSL Max service: -

Upstream Loop Loss 13 Downstream Loop Loss 25
      Upstream SNR Margin 25 Downstream SNR Margin 10
      Upstream Speed 448 Downstream Speed 8128

I am not really sure what these mean but could some nice kind person let me know an approximation of what download speeds I can expect after the initial tests have completed - I am activated on 8th August.

Cheers

roz

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast