Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

This is a discussion on Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I think it is important to understand that there are two distinct phases of DLM . The first is the ...

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

I think it is important to understand that there are two distinct phases of DLM. The first is the up to 10 day training period. This runs for the first period your line is activated, usually starting within 3 days of the line activation and can last for 3-10 days or more on an unstable line. This phase trains your line to give its best performance, note that this does not necessarily mean its fastest speed. When that phase is complete the DLM goes into line monitoring mode and unless suspended will continue to run on your line indefinitely. If it finds a problem on the line it will reduce the speed until the line stabilises. It is supposed to work in the opposite direction, but I have seen no instances of a lines speed being increased if the conditions are improved. This usually requires a call to Sky for a speed increase.

From your downstream noise margin it appears that your line has been manually profiled to give its best speed. There is a chance that DLM may have improved on this, but there is no guarantee, it could just as easily left you with a lower speed. Please don't ask why this happens, I just don't know and doubt if anyone does.

Your upstream shows you can get more speed and I think the only way that is going to happen now is if you call Sky and ask them to increase it.

As for 'stickies', who reads them? They are useful only if a replying member wants to direct attention to them, I doubt if anyone coming on the forum bothers to read them before posting.

If DLM is actually training on your line it will make any changes in the early hours, between 2-3 am. Check your WAN uptime, this will show if you have resynced.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      rozel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Thanks again Isitme - I do understand the process now, my problem is whether DLM has kicked in or not. I am attaching my stats from this morning, absolutely no difference once more with no resynch having taken place. What worries me even more are the notes on my account : -

Your Connection Details
      We constantly monitor your line to make sure it has been set to support the fastest speed possible whilst maintaining a stable connection.

Line connection testing completed on 12/08/2011, resulting in the following settings:

Download speed setting
      Your connection has been set to a download speed of up to 4.0Mbps .

Upload speed setting
      Your connection has been set to an upload speed of up to 0.5Mbps .

Is it any wonder I am confused, frustrated and a tad angry?

Regarding Stickies, well yes I for one read them when joining a forum for the first time. DLM is something all new subscribers to Sky BB should know about and given the problems I have had, god knows how many other people have had them too.

roz
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited-router-stats-14.08.2011.jpg  

Thanks

Download speed setting
      Your connection has been set to a download speed of up to 4.0Mbps .
      Upload speed setting
      Your connection has been set to an upload speed of up to 0.5Mbps .
      There is something badly wrong with their system. Although DLM did not start on your line it looks like when the Help line advisor went into your settings the system has seen that as DLM completing, when in fact, it did not even start. I would not be surprised if this happened to the others in the last few days who have had their profile manually set. Send them an email pointing out that although your system details say you are set at 4 Mb, you have a stable 13Mb. It could cause a problem in the future if for any reason your speed decreases, say to 10Mb. A call to Help will get you a response that your line was set to 4 Mb so you should be quite happy with 10Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry to be a complete pain - but has DLM started or not?

I want more than 10Mbps throughput eventually - looking to achieve 14/16 throughput, I feel sure my line is capable of that. My stats currently haven't altered at all save for the 2 times I have called. If DLM had been instigated, then I would have thought my upspeed would have changed, so I feel all that has been done is for 2 PO's.

Testing was promised by Sky which doesn't seem to have taken place and there doesn't seem any way of telling what the current situation is or for that matter speaking with a Technical Advisor.

Something is seriously wrong and I haven't a clue what to do about it and it all eminates from a suggestion on here to speak with someone to ask them to kick DLM in.

Totally and utterly fed up now.

That said I did say at the outset that if I get 10Mbps throughput (I am getting 12.3/12.8) then I would be happy. However 14/16 would be nicer and maximum upload speeds too.

If there are experts on here who work for Sky, then maybe someone could PM me or Email me please so I can give them some info for them to do something on my behalf - is this possible?

roz

Thanks

DLM training is not running on your line. DLM monitoring is. It will not increase your upload.

I want more than 10Mbps throughput eventually - looking to achieve 14/16 throughput
      There is no way that is going to happen. You would need a sync speed of 15.5/18Mb and your line will simply not support this. The only way you would see this sync is to use a router which allows noise margin tweaking and even then there may be so many errors your throughput would not increase.

Something is seriously wrong and I haven't a clue what to do about it and it all eminates from a suggestion on here to speak with someone to ask them to kick DLM in.
      Yes, not to have your line manually profiled. There is nothing seriously wrong with your speed, except the upload, which you should call Sky to have corrected.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I was working on this: -

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      Between 14-16 Mb on ADSL2+ if it's a decent line.
      I consider mine to be a decent line and assumed that the above was "throughput speeds" as after all, that is what we are concerned with isn't it? So I naturally assumed that would be at least 14 - I am currently getting 12.3 max a little below, but had hoped more nearer 16. Previously on ADSL Max I was getting 7.3 minimum so double that would be 14.6 - I am currently 2Mbps less than that.

All this has been said on here.

And FFS what's the bleedin difference between DLM Monitoring and DLM Training? WTF is the difference? Chuck in another variable why don't you? - oh and don't explain why Is it any wonder my brain hurts with all this and why I have requested a Sticky. I consider myself very PC Savvy but this DLM thing is something else!

This is not a rant - it is fact and anyone like me reading through this thread and who is about to switch over to Sky BB Unlimited for speed purposes, would draw the same conclusions IMHO. I know everyone is trying to help but why do you constantly change the goal posts?

Do I take it therefore that initially "DLM Training" should have kicked in for 10 days? All we have been talking about so far is DLM. In defence of the technical advisors, all I have asked them is to confirm whether DLM has kicked in, so they are bound to say "yes" aren't they for god's sake?! And to be fair I wasn't asked not to have a PO applied until after I was advised to speak with Sky to have DLM applied - sheesh!

Hope you can see where I am coming from and why I am frustrated.

roz

Thanks

Quote from post 27
      Remember we quote sync speeds here, you actual download will be 10-15% lower.
      Your reply
      Yes thanks, I appreciate that.
      Exdee's estimate was based on a good line and on your BT stats. He later revised it to 14/15Mb he was half a Mb out, that's all.

And FFS what's the bleedin difference between DLM Monitoring and DLM Training
      I thought you had read post 91.

I was advised to speak with Sky to have DLM applied - sheesh!
      You were told that nothing could be done about DLM and you insisted on having something done. In your own word " I then went into a "polite" rant", which resulted in having your line manually set. Now you are blaming Sky for something you insisted on. As I said earlier there is no guarantee that DLM would have given you a higher speed, it could have set you lower.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok Isitme - time for me to eat humble pie

I agree with everything you have said - I have overlooked a lot of what has been said previously and am very sorry for seeing things slightly differently. I have been over stressed about all of this

I have now fully studied what has been said now and decided to try again to sort things with Sky just now, by phone.

1. I raised the point that I was activated on 8th August but that by Friday 12th August DLM Training had not kicked in. At that point, around 17.30pm, a manual Profile Optimisation was applied which adjusted my downstream speed only and had had the effect of stopping the onset of DLM Training. I considered that my line speed was capable of achieving more both down and up and until DLM Training was implemented, I would not know.

2. I brought up the wording on my account that testing had been completed and that my line speeds had been set to 4Mbps down and 0.5Mbps up and that this might have a detremental impact.

The first advisor I spoke with said again and again that I would have to wait until 18th August (10 days from my activation date) and even after I asked him to refer to someone more senior, he again came back with this information. He could not (or was not prepared to) answer my question as to whether DLM Training was currently effective or not. He did not grasp anything I told him. I then asked him for a "call back from CST". He again asked me to hold and once more, after another 5 minutes, told me that I had to wait until 18th August!

Finally I then said that if he did not put me through to someone more senior, then I would have no alternative but to raise a formal complaint because he was not understanding anything I had told him.

After 3/4 minutes a Manager came on the line and after I relayed the 2 above points to him, he understood perfectly what had happened. He said that he would invoke DLM straight away but first he would have to communicate with my Router. Whilst he was still on the line I noticed my Router's stats all went to Zero on my screen - which he said was normal - after which they changed to those attached below. He said that training would now take place during the next 10 days and that if I had any issues, I was to get back on or around 25th. He also confirmed that the notes on my account would be changed (at the time of writing this post, they haven't).

I must now assume all is well, that DLM Training is now underway - maybe as evidenced by the attached stats? - and that in 10 days or so, will ultimately know what my line is capable of acheiving.

Sorry again to come across harshly

roz
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited-router-stats-14.08.2011-2-.jpg  

Thanks

Just watch your WAN uptime for the next few days if it resyncs in the early hours that will confirm DLM is running. Unfortunately, if it does not resync that will not prove that it is not running, as it may examine your line and conclude that it does not need anything done to it, so will not resync it. Sorry if I am over-complicating things for you.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

No - I understand now

In other words, now that my upseed and downspeed have been set at, something like their maximums, DLM may decide that they are ok at that level. It is interesting to note that there was a slight increase in the downspeed when the manager pressed the buttons.

Thanks again for all your help and support, it has been much appreciated

roz

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast