Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Very slow speeds during line testing

This is a discussion on Very slow speeds during line testing within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I signed up with Sky recently when I moved into my new flat, and currently my broadband is undergoing ...

Silverstar1610 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aylesbury
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Very slow speeds during line testing

Hi,

I signed up with Sky recently when I moved into my new flat, and currently my broadband is undergoing line testing, which should end on the 30th. I'm in a 1st floor flat, and I'm aware that I am a fair distance from the exchange.

When I signed up I was estimated 8Mb, but so far, it's been significantly slower--mostly less than 0.5Mb. It started at around 500kbps, and has gone slightly up and down by around 100kbps if that. During the line testing, the speeds so far have barely changed at all. I'm assuming that this means that when it's complete, it will be set at a very low level. I understood that to begin with, the speeds would be set at around 4Mb, and would vary from there, but this doesn't seem to have happened.

I'm not at all tech-minded, but I'd like to see if there's anything I can do. I was only sent two microfilters when I received my router, but I bought a third, and I have a microfilter+router on my master socket, a microfilter+Sky box on a second socket, and a microfilter+phone on a third socket.

Using various broadband speed checkers have given me download speeds of between 250-450kbps on the whole, and when I've actually tried to download anything, it's been downloading at anything between 5-45kbps, which is just ridiculous when I'm paying for Unlimited.

My current router stats are below:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 143624 857554 0 24097557 945993082 64:46:43
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 180:16:59
      WLAN Up 907405 707834 0 957942122 102840258 180:16:40

Connection Speed: 384 kbps 415 kbps
      Line Attenuation: 56.5 dB 31.0 dB
      Noise Margin: 24.8 dB 16.0 dB

Do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Very slow speeds during line testing

Your connection appears to be heavily capped, which suggests something has upset DLM during your line training. Call Sky and ask them to reconfigure your line as DLM has left your speed very low.

It does not look like you will get anywhere near 8Mb, but you should get much better than are now.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi,

Yeah, I wasn't really expecting 8Mb, but I figured it would be around 3-4Mb. This is pretty silly!

I'll give them a call this evening and hope for the best. Thanks for the help.

Thanks

Hi again,

I didn't get chance to call Sky yesterday, but my line testing finished today, and my speeds have been set at 0.4Mb both download and upload. This is [retty ridiculous, to my mind.

What I find a little odd is that my noise margin has suddenly dropped to 8.1dB, instead of the 24.8dB that it was at yesterday, yet the speeds haven't changed at all. I did move my phone from the normal phone socket it is in to the same microfilter that my router is plugged into, in the master socket, because that was the only way to call Sky and still be able to see the router. Could this be the cause of the sudden drop in noise margin? I'm currently on hold with Sky so can't unplug the phone and move it back to check.

Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I expect Sky help has taken you through the testing, so it is pointless asking you to do anything now. Let us know how you got on.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.