Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed drops over a number of days

This is a discussion on Speed drops over a number of days within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there I have been having issue with my connection for a number of months, but nothing appears to be ...

whosmad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Speed drops over a number of days

Hi there

I have been having issue with my connection for a number of months, but nothing appears to be fixing the issue.

I have a filtered faceplate connected to a Sky Netgear (dark gray) with one, phone connected to the phone socket.

When the router is rebooted I usually get between 14-16mb however over a period of about 5 days this slowly drops to 5mb then flattens out.

Anyone any idea what could be causing the issue.

About 2 years ago I had BT out to fix a minor line fault which resulted in the engineer spending about 7hours trying to fix the issue.

Stats from most recent reboot
      Connection Speed 14814 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29 db15 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 16 db

Thanks for the support.

David

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Speed drops over a number of days

It looks like you have errors on your line causing the router to sync lower. The easiest way to fix it without a lot of faffing about is to switch your router off at night and switch it back on the next day. It will then resync at its highest speed. There is a good chance that your line is at its noisiest during the night when you are not using it, but it will still reduce your speed..

You can of course go through the painful process of calling Sky and getting them to investigate your line. With the speed you are getting it is going to be hard to convince them anything is wrong and they are quite likely to mess up you connection while trying to fix it.

You might want to call them, but only to get an improvement in your upload speed. You should have 1.1-1.2 Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

whosmad is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Re: Speed drops over a number of days

Thanks for the info. Just annoying as when the speed is good it is very good but not so when it drops.

Good to see someone else from Bannockburn on here.

TIA.

Whosmad