Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Speeds dropping on router reset and Speed seems to be stuck?

This is a discussion on Speeds dropping on router reset and Speed seems to be stuck? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Frustratingly, had to reboot the router and have suffered yet another speed drop. Previously was around 4832kbps downstream, 49 dB ...

ufo
      ufo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Speeds dropping on router reset and Speed seems to be stuck?

Frustratingly, had to reboot the router and have suffered yet another speed drop.

Previously was around 4832kbps downstream, 49 dB attentuation, 6.9 SNR.(so 4.0mbps).

Now can't seem to get anything above 4032 kbps, same atten and SNR (dropped to 3.5 mbps, though I'm extremely close to dropping into the 3.0 mbps bracket).

Some time ago (few years) initially started out on 5.5 mpbs and this worked fine, until the dreaded DLM kicked in and that stuck me firstly with 4.5 mbps, then due to bad weather and power cut had to reboot again eventually 4.0 mbps and now this disaster of 3.5 and almost 3.0.

Been on phone with Sky but get the usual runaround, check the test socket, change filters - if they had listened when I explained within the first few minutes about the speed dropping and not coming back and also explaining I'd jumped through all those hoops already it could've saved an almost 2 hr frustrating phone call.

The guy on the phone actually saw the speed drop himself as he fiddled around with resetting the router, but seemed oblivious to this drop. Why do Sky bother hiring such monkeys?

So to my question, what do I need to ask for?

On a previous occasion, the Sky engineers were able to tweak my SNR a little and it gave me a few hundred extra on the downstream.

Are they able to change any settings on their side which would affect attenuation?

PS - Sky also said, we're trying to force 8mbps down your line but it won't take it, not taking any more than 3.5mbps.

Yet 30 minutes ago before you started messing, it was able to take 4.0mbps down, so you've made it worse. Please explain?
      Last edited by ufo; 28-07-11 at 07:28 PM.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Speeds dropping on router reset and Speed seems to be stuck?

Quote Originally Posted by ufo View Post
      Why do Sky bother hiring such monkeys?
      Some people actually work for Sky on this forum, so if you're looking for help, how about leaving that type of statement out of your post.

How do you expect us to help without posting up stats?

jorkila is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01553
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The one i just spoke was a monkey supposedly named harry, tried telling me that the lower the snr the better and if your snr was high the more unstable the connection would be, you can imagine my response!!!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

How about you stop calling people monkey and you might actually get some help
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jorkila View Post
      The one i just spoke was a monkey supposedly named harry, tried telling me that the lower the snr the better and if your snr was high the more unstable the connection would be, you can imagine my response!!!
      SNRs are not part of the basic training to the welcome/help teams. Personally, I won't be bothering to help you.

jorkila is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01553
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Would be best if they didn't comment on stuff they're not trained in perhaps?
      Last edited by jorkila; 26-07-11 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks

Might help if you don't confuse them with such terms in the first place

Tier 1's job is to weed out the basic issues from the ones needing CSTs assistance. Play the game, answer the questions honestly and you'll get sorted quicker. Start off by using lingo they're not going to understand will leave you, and the agent, frustrated and you'll get nowhere

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

ufo
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I am aware that there are some users on here who work for Sky which is why I'm asking for some help/second opinions.

Apart from the fact that my statement was been taken out of context, my topic/post has also been hijacked by other users.

Please re-read what I wrote:

The guy on the phone actually saw the speed drop himself as he fiddled around with resetting the router, but seemed oblivious to this drop. Why do Sky bother hiring such monkeys?
      I am speaking very specifically about Tier 1 here and very specifically about this type of Customer Service Rep who quite frankly doesn't really seem to care less and/or in other words they don't really seem to give a monkeys.

Please see though and imagine my frustration, the guy watched the speed drop, yet was oblivious to it. And then it dropped again, yet he seemed oblivious to it, again. It was almost as if to him nothing had happened, nor did he care, for he couldn't even remember the previous figures anyway. ...and when I say "watched the speed drop", I literally mean he watched it - for it was right in front of his eyes, but his mind must have been elsewhere. Yet I was courteous to him, as in the end all I want is my problem solved.

As for posting up stats, what stats do you require... something like below ?

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 238113 279046 0 76511 465706 0:17:38
      LAN 15 0 0 0 0 0:19:04
      WLAN 296425 254721 0 481200 81533 0:18:39

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4032 kbps 800 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49.0 db 30.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 14.0 db

(Noise margin will usually be around that same number).

Previously Connection speed was coming in at (for example) 5120 kbps with same Attenuation and Noise Margin of 6.9 db, so something ain't right.

By the way, I didn't mention anything about attenuation or Noise margin to Tier 1, didn't see much point, just tried to keep it simple.

EDIT: Just as a minor update, I moved the router around a little and was able to achieve a 7.5dB Noise Margin (the only change being that one single stat) - however, still no change in downstream or anything else even after a reboot, so I am almost convinced it must be capped - what else could it be?
      Last edited by ufo; 27-07-11 at 03:28 AM.

ufo
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Back on the phone today, got through to first person, who wanted to go through entire process again.

Aside from the fact that notes were made, do Tier 1's or managers or whoever not communicate with each other?

Nicely explained I'd been through all that and wanted to speak to CST since I already had an open case, but after conferring with supervisor, wasn't allowed to speak to CST. Thanked them, but gave up on this call as a lost cause.

Called straight back and got through to someone else and again they couldn't put me through to CST (what is so elusive about CST especially when I have a case/ticket?), but this person was VERY helpful, discussing the issues properly and even offering the odd piece of advice.

If only I had a name or actual location I could mention they are worth talking to, though at the same time I still haven't been able to get speaking to CST and still waiting on a call from them.

From the sound of it though, even if your case is escalated, it only progresses to Tier 2.

This process is a world away from when I had a problem previously, when even with a wait, you could get through to a Tier 3.

Thanks

There are 2 'tiers' - Tier 1 and CST

Tier 2 and 3 merged the best part of 2 years ago and haven't existed separately since

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast