Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Speeds dropping on router reset and Speed seems to be stuck?

This is a discussion on Speeds dropping on router reset and Speed seems to be stuck? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by ufo If this is the case, can BT /Openreach actually do anything about it anyway? Would I ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Speeds dropping on router reset and Speed seems to be stuck?

Quote Originally Posted by ufo View Post
      If this is the case, can BT/Openreach actually do anything about it anyway? Would I be charged if they were to investigate it?
      As long as the engineer comes out and finds that the fault is still apparent from the test socket, then you're unlikely to be charged. If your line has been able to push 2mbps+ from what you're getting now, then there's definitely something not right. As to whether that's just line degradation, a line fault, or whether Openreach can, say, swap you onto another pair at the cabinet, that's something that the faults investigation will need to find. However, being charged for something out of your control isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ufo View Post
      I tried questioning a Tier 1 and Tier 2 previously about this (weather angle) but they said no, weather had nothing whatsoever to do with how good or bad your connection was nor would it have any affect on the wiring/exchanges etc.
      It's certainly possible. Weather related line issues aren't that uncommon.

As I say, if you have indeed had a sync rate of 6mbps in the past, then wait for the call-back from CST and see where they take it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

rozel (31-07-11)

3. Advertisement
      ufo
      ufo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05
      As long as the engineer comes out and finds that the fault is still apparent from the test socket, then you're unlikely to be charged.
      Just wanting to clarify this, when you say that they "find out the fault is still apparent from the test socket" do you mean that I'm getting the same speeds or worse speeds from the test socket than from the normal? (ie. It's pulling around 4.0 mb/s from the main socket and the exact same from the test socket today, both much the same).

I really wish I had tried the test socket after first moving in so I'd know what the actual real capable speeds were, but I never had any problems until my first speed drop that winter so never needed to until then. Oh well, know for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by User05
      It's certainly possible. Weather related line issues aren't that uncommon.
      Thought so, guess I must have taken them off script when asking them this one.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ufo For This Useful Post:

rozel (31-07-11)

rozel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Hi

I just wanted to say that I have learnt a great deal from reading this thread and appreciate just how much detail you both have gone into. The more we learn the better we are prepared to meet issues, if and when, they arise.

Am interested in the Sagem 2504N Router though. I am going Sky BB next week (8/8) and have been promised one of these newer units. What do we know about them relative to the older ones? Do we have independant control over it's settings or not?

I'm running a Netgear pairing of a DG834G v3 (in modem only mode) linked to a WNR3500 v1 which runs so smoothly on a ADSL Max broadband connection - after the running-in period ends with my Sky router, I am hoping to switch back to this pairing, in the main, to take advantage of the WNR's Gigabit switch.

Thanks again for a very interesting and informative read

Good luck with the call-back from CST

roz

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345