Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What is your prediction ?

This is a discussion on What is your prediction ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by DragonDallas if i bought better router and better filter would it help lower attenuation and noise more?. ...

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: What is your prediction ?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDallas View Post
      if i bought better router and better filter would it help lower attenuation and noise more?.
      A Billion Bipac might improve things further. It'll be the 7800(N) unless you're on Easynet in which case it's the 7402NX.

2. Advertisement
      Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

He's not on easynet with 1245 upstream on a broadcom router

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

there was even moment when attenuation was showing 16 dB I dont know what i Did that it went from 19 dB to 16 dB but latter after i rebooted router it increassed again to 19dB, maybe it was DLM or something.
      A Line Attenuation of 16dB would have been better, but 19dB is fine in the overall scheme of things. You'll still end up with a connection speed that is greater than around 70% of the UK.

i wonder about few things:

if i bought better router and better filter would it help lower attenuation and noise more?.
      The microfilters supplied by Sky are hit-or-miss. Purchasing & fitting a filtered faceplate would be a good investment, but you may not notice a huge difference in you case.

There are several instances where members have had microfilters fail. Typically this was two or more years after they were first used. The electronics in a filtered faceplate are much better than those in the microfilters and will generally last much longer.

and other question. if BB wire is going about 20 meters along with powered electric wire does this electric wire affect noise and attenuation ?
      It can do. Most telephone wire isn't shielded and REIN will often cause problems.

Ferrous rings can help, so can a BT i-Plate. With your current stats I wouldn't have thought that this was much of a problem in your case though.

BB wire from outside is going to my home along water pipes and metal gutter does this affect noise and attenuation too ?
      Again nothing significant to be concerned with.

P.S. I got interrupted whilst composing this & see that Exdee has answered too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

craney13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Braintree
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

I heard a good shielded adsl cable from somewhere like adsl nation can make a difference to not tried it myself but could always be worth a shot to get that little bit more out of your connection

DragonDallas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      The lower attenuation you experienced temporarily was due to the fact your router either trained in at G.DMT or ADSL2 instead of ADSL2+. Sometimes this happens.

The answer to whether you will benefit from a quality filter is something you will have to find out yourself. A better filter won't lower your attenuation but it might give you more noise margin.

You will certainly benefit from a better router but the extent depends on how the Sky router performs on your line once truly uncapped. It would be best to wait for DLM to finish.

You can copy paste your traceroute here meanwhile. (Go to CMD -> 'tracert bbc.co.uk')

It can in some cases. Depends on the quality and condition of the electrical wire. Usually it doesn't.

No chance.

The upstream frequencies on the ADSL line are far more senstive to any kind of noise/interference. You've got very good upstream figures hence it will be safe to conclude there is no interference on your line.

Ps: I too and am looking forward to a picture of the soldering you've done.

Hi again cant do traceroute cus downloading at the moment on two pc's

Ping usually from 25 to 40 and i live in Catford London ping to router 1ms.

and the soldering I did. well first i thought i wont go to loft only cus someone from SkyUser want to see how i did it then i thought well maybe i should so i went and took few pics

first of i live in the house two bed, normally external phone line is going through wall to the living room. I disconnected everything and moved external wire to the loft for few reasons one of them was that external wire became over 3 m shorter second router is located in the loft it has better range, one thing i didnt make pic of router cus router is located in the cartoon and to much trouble, i have replaced router antenna to omni 8 dBi. i know a bit about radio antennas kind of hobby, you wont see my router but you can see antenna i have made
      It is 2.4 Ghz Directional + 1 Mw amp arround 30 dBi, line of sight about 3 miles range, it will connect to any averadge router with standard antenna. between buildings arround half mile range. It was made out of kitchen pot, it use atheros 5007ug and it has 30m usb cable, take look at it. it could be used to connect my workplace to the router at home. it isnt proffesionally looking antenna cus i made it rather for testing. If I connected this antenna to the router and made other this kind of antenna i could go easly over 3 miles in line of sight maybe even 10 miles. anyway enough

I moved external phone line to the loft and soldered it directly to the filter you will see socket on the pic and filter on it, the BT socket is empty. it took me half day to connect everything and there is a lot of dust so i didnt want to open filter to show you how is soldered. I removed original Adsl and line connectors from the filter and just soldered wires in the right places. the only push connector that remainded was router cus if need of change router. wire between router and filter is only arround 20cm.
      you will see on the pic cartoon with piano on it, thats where router is located cus of the dust.
      i have electricity in the loft so router was connected directly to it.

I think thats all.

this isnt my first antenna i have made quiet many 2.4 ghz antennas different types, this one has best range :

PicPaste - antenna_1-VYu3uWth.JPG
      PicPaste - antenna_2-NOi0irjh.JPG
      PicPaste - antenna_3-WELtz4Ox.JPG

and pics of my filter and connection i made and whatever take look at it :

PicPaste - P24-07-11_19.46-AV85MJPP.JPG
      PicPaste - P24-07-11_19.48-TN5GmI6c.JPG
      PicPaste - P24-07-11_19.49-kd1ZPWBL.JPG
      PicPaste - P24-07-11_19.50_01_-zwMzS7HI.JPG

sorry I didnt open Filter so you could see how it is soldered but to much trouble to do that.
      Last edited by DragonDallas; 24-07-11 at 10:58 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Little update :

Line was activated on the 20/jul

testing started on the 22/jul

Day 6 :

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 18376 kbps 1247 kbps
      Line Attenuation 19.0 dB 11.3 dB
      Noise Margin 9.7 dB 17.2 dB

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

How, with a 17dB upstream SNR, have you not got the full upstream speed??
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      How, with a 17dB upstream SNR, have you not got the full upstream speed??

Welll testing didnt finish yet its day 6, 4 more to go

Exchange:
      Thanks

New update :

Day 9

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 19126 kbps 1312 kbps
      Line Attenuation 19.0 dB 11.3 dB
      Noise Margin 7.7 dB 9.8 dB

and below new pics of filter and router.

I have moved Everything from the loft to the room on the first floor. Line connected directly to filter, everything soldered. phone and everything work perfect and router has better antenna.

and i have changed phone wiring to new in whole house.

PicPaste - P30-07-11_08.02-68dQejRo.JPG

PicPaste - P30-07-11_08.04-eGSEIZ6k.JPG

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Your connection speeds are looking good. Providing that there are no issue, you could get a further small increase. In fairness I don't think that this will happen though.

Nice modification there with the aerial. Has it made a difference to the WiFi coverage?

I would suggest that you place the router on it's edge though. It has been the case in the past with other Sky routers that they can overheat when placed on their side.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast