Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router drops line think i have sorted it

This is a discussion on Router drops line think i have sorted it within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone i have been having the same problem as everyone else, a drop in internet connection. I have also ...

neilhelen1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tipton
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router drops line think i have sorted it

Hi everyone i have been having the same problem as everyone else, a drop in internet connection. I have also done the same as everyone else spending hours on the phone talking to sky. But i think i might have resolved the problem well it has worked for me and i have now had un interupted broadband service for 2 days since doing it. What i have done is removed that Mcafee security software that is supplied by sky and replaced it with Norton. I have had several strange things happen since installing Mcafee not just internet problems but also lack of PC repsonse and PC not shutting down. So my advice to everyone is to try getting rid of Mcafee and use another anti virus programme and also use Windows XP firewall. I have a feeling that the firewall on Mcafee is affecting the router in some way not sure how yet i am still looking into that but i know for a fact that it works fine now it has been removed.

Please let me know if this resolves your problems or if it was just me.

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site neilhelen1

Pleased to see you have got yourself sorted and thanks for the info but its been posted on here more than once that the McAfee security suite is rubbish and that people are better off sticking with what they are used to using.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

neilhelen1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tipton
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry about that Ray trust me not to look around the site properly before i post. Going back to my post though do you happen to know if this has been the main issue with skybb and the connection as i am lost otherwise i have already formatted my computer just incase there was something conflicting somewhere, and have just put 2 and 2 together when removing Mcafee and think its that.

markyb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: orrell
      Broadband ISP: connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      is it mcafee in general or just the sky version causing the slowdown

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Don't worry about it Neil.

There are various reason for SkyBB not working some user related ie: McAfee and some other firewalls and some settings within the router its self, other have been SkyBB & BTW related some are easy to troubleshoot and other are a real pain.

But in the end most people are finding ways to get it working which is the important thing.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

DeeGame is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kingsbury, London NW9
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      i have not installed McAfee from the Sky Cd but i am still having disconnection problems

nickmon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bexleyheath
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yes same here
      Last edited by Wheelie; 05-10-06 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post.Please use QUOTE sparingly please use @User Name this helps keep the forum tidy thanks

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I did say there are various other reasons as well

Try looking at the stickies in the router forum there you will find all kinds of suggestions that could well help.
      Ray

click here

bravedan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton (SDLTTLH)
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I didn't install ANYTHING from the SKY CD. I looked it over, saw what was there, what it was going to do, was singularly unimpressed, and filed it. The software I AM using is also being used (and has been for some time) on another computer connected to NTL Cable Broadband via a Netgear Router...where it's totally robust, stable, and reliable, and has been from day one (years, now!!)

I'm with SKY as no cable where that computer is, and on BT Connect as no LLU for a year maybe, so supposedly using well established BT spine and STILL have all the same problems everyone else has........

After a very bad first week, it got better and better and I thought the problems had been licked. I had three days of good speeds and no loss of service, then got home last Mon to abnormal router flashing lights, requiring a power cycle........and immediately all hell gets let loose.........back to abysmal performance again and frequent disconnections.

Now, read carefully what I have said above.......eliminate the BBSpine and wiring, which I know to be good, the computer inc software, and what's left...................

I really do feel sorry for the Support crew, many of whom were probably not even in SKY employ when the damage was done. Worse for them AND us, the advertising is still pounding away, adding to the dissatisfied pile of customers.
      My Bus speed is 26 mph, what's yours??