Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BT fitted me a nice new NTE well happy

This is a discussion on BT fitted me a nice new NTE well happy within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Afternoon all Had a open reach engineer come this morning due to persistant drops with my connection, longest it has ...

craney13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Braintree
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

BT fitted me a nice new NTE well happy

Afternoon all

Had a open reach engineer come this morning due to persistant drops with my connection, longest it has stayed up since going live in May was 4 days he was such a helpful guy. He ran some tests on my internal extensions and all seemed good just the odd FEC error around 50 in total, he said these external NTE's are a pain and i was not aware that if you have infinity these become useless and have to be taken out. Anyway the guy fitted me an internal NTE in my hallway which is the 1st socket on the daisy chain i believe its filtered the BB to just that socket now, its a dual faceplate with a phone plug as well and i finally have a test socket behind the plate now.

Im really hoping this will improve the stability of my line, he did mention about routing to another cab but that was kinda beyond the scope of what he was out to do all be it he was happy to try it but i was happy with what he had done and didnt wanna end up paying for something like that to be done. I wanted to make sure i would not be charged for what he did for me and he said i wouldn't as the call will be closed as a network improvement so to speak as the wiring in my house was fine and should be being a new build.

Fingers crossed it will stay good, sky put me on a 8mb profile with a latency of 8ms for testing purposes for the engineer at the moment my stats are

Connection Speed
      3456 kbps down
      768 kbps up

Line Attenuation
      60.0 dB down
      31.5 dB up

Noise Margin
      7.3 dB down
      9.0 dB up

I asked the CST guys if i should call back once the enginner has been and get put back on the 3mb profile i was on and he said yea, does it really matter? im guessing which ever profile i am setup on its only gonna give me the max my line can support right?

Thanks again

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: BT fitted me a nice new NTE well happy

I would just leave things as they are. If your line cannot handle the speed you have it will drop and resync lower. If you ever decide to get a better performing router, you will not have to mess around getting them to raise your sync again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

craney13 (20-07-11)

Router:
      Thanks

Sweet thanks for that Isitme, im really hoping this will make a difference i was really worried they were gonna try and blame me and say its the internal wiring which i new it wasn't anyway but suprised how honest the BT guy was in what he was telling me. If Sky ended about saying i would have to pay for this (which i wont be!) when would i find out? knowing sky they would just wack it on your bill and proberly not tell me.

Thanks again

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Were you read a statement suggesting of a possible 144 at any point before this engineer visit was booked?

If it was just upgrading wiring and fitting a SSFP, then as suggested, you're very unlikely to see a charge. If you were, then Sky will call to arrange the payment. My advice? Don't worry about it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

craney13 (20-07-11)

Router:
      Thanks

Thanks mate, yea i was red the statement but like you say i know there is nothing wrong my end because if there was nothing would work, i think these external NTE's are just silly due to the fact you have no test point to actually test for a fault. The annoying thing was the connection didnt drop when he was here normally its early morning or when its pouring down with rain. Mind you he said weather should not really effect it but i dont really know how robust these externals are in bad weather.

Anyway things look good so far so hopefully the problem is cured if it still persists i will call up again and this time get them to maybe re-route to another cab as im only on a single line cab and all the other around here are dual line according the engineer

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Nice to see that things have been resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by craney13 View Post
      ...he said these external NTE's are a pain and i was not aware that if you have infinity these become useless and have to be taken out.
      This bit made me laugh. Why on earth would BT have decided to install them then?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

It does not matter who the phone supplier is, anyone having an engineer called out is told they will be liable to be charged if the fault is in their internal wiring. This is a BTO regulation, not one any individual supplier of phone services. It is up to the engineer doing the work as to whether there will be a charge. If he says there will be no charge for the item, there will not be one.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

craney13 (20-07-11)

Router:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Nice to see that things have been resolved.

This bit made me laugh. Why on earth would BT have decided to install them then?
      I was the same i laughed as well, he said they need to connect it to a master for testing purposes and would need to fit an VDSL plate i think he said and with the master being outside a VDSL router in the rain wont last to long one thinks Would be interesting to know though if anyone has an XNTE with BT Infinity installed but im just going by what i was told

Thanks

I think they started putting them in when Infinity was just a gleam in someone's eye.

I can't think why they should have to take them out. Maybe the engineer was getting mixed up with internal NTE5s which have to be replaced with a VDSL faceplate. A bridge link in the XNTE should be all that is required, at most.

TomD

Useful Utilites

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craney13 View Post
      i think these external NTE's are just silly due to the fact you have no test point to actually test for a fault.
      There is a test point for a BTO engineer, infinity was well under way (planning) when the XNTE was developed. It's really no big deal, just fit an NTE5 as the 1st socket & in your case a vDSL faceplate . Anyone on any other BB service can still just fit an NTE5 and to that fit a "normal" filtered faceplate. The whole point of the XNTE is so BTO can test for line faults without having to arrange a booking around the home owner. The vDSL faceplates may be released to the general public soon................although we were told that years ago!!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

craney13 (20-07-11)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast