Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is speed estimate a joke?

This is a discussion on Is speed estimate a joke? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have recently signed up to Sky Broadband Unlimited on the promise of 20 meg unlimited broadband. I was ...

jambo862 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colwyn Bay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sr102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Is speed estimate a joke?

Hi, I have recently signed up to Sky Broadband Unlimited on the promise of 20 meg unlimited broadband.

I was previously with BT and getting a speed of 7.5 meg approx.

At the time of signing up for Sky Broadband I could not get a speed estimate as there was some kind of issue with they're system, and when I log in to My Sky it still tells me my estimate can not be given.

This morning however I have received the Sky Broadband welcome letter which has told me that my speed estimate is 4 meg?

How can this be, my exchange is LLU for Sky, according to Samknows my distances to the exchange are -

Distance:- Direct: 0.07 mi
      (appx)* By Road: 407 ft

So surely I can get better than 4 meg? Has anyone got any idea what sort of speeds I should expect?

Thanks for your help.

Jambo862

2. Advertisement
      timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Re: Is speed estimate a joke?

You need to post stats from your current router to be given an estimate.

As for the Sky estimate , well it's not exactly that. The letter should be saying that 4meg is the initial speed you'll be set at - that applies to every new customer - and that the line will be monitored over the 10 or so days following activation to get the best, stable speed for you.

As you're so close to the exchange you'll possibly get 16+meg but without existing stats - line attenuation & noise margin - it's impossible to give a reasonable estimate.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

The Speed Estimator that Sky uses is often inaccurate and underestimates the connection speed, rather than over estimates it.

Provided that you have a clean connection and that it follows path that is of a similar length to your distance, then you should be getting over 14Mb for you download.

If you could post your BT Router Stats, then someone may be able to give you an estimate of what you should expect.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

If you are .077miles (about 125m in new money) from the exchange you should get pretty near the full rate. I think Sky are a bit disingenuous with their estimates. In almost every case the estimate is far below the true rate. The problem arises if you can only get, say, 10 Mb and call Sky help. Tier one will tell you your estimate was 4 Mb so you are doing very well

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Thanks

If its a new phone number
      the database has the old address for the number
      for a few months after install

They said mine would be 4mbit
      and its good for 23mbit

It now says

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of
      17Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps.
      Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of
      1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 17Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between
      10Mbps and 19.5Mbps.

So even now that they have the correct info theyr best estimate is still 3.5mbit down
      Last edited by Shonk; 19-07-11 at 05:28 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

on the promise of 20 meg unlimited broadband.
      Just noticed this bit. You were given wrong information, no ADSL supplier will promise a definite speed, what you are sold is Up to 20Mb. In your case you will probably get it, but it should never have been promised. A too enthusiastic seller me thinks

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jambo862 View Post
      Hi, I have recently signed up to Sky Broadband Unlimited on the promise of 20 meg unlimited broadband.

I was previously with BT and getting a speed of 7.5 meg approx.

At the time of signing up for Sky Broadband I could not get a speed estimate as there was some kind of issue with they're system, and when I log in to My Sky it still tells me my estimate can not be given.

This morning however I have received the Sky Broadband welcome letter which has told me that my speed estimate is 4 meg?

How can this be, my exchange is LLU for Sky, according to Samknows my distances to the exchange are -

Distance:- Direct: 0.07 mi
      (appx)* By Road: 407 ft

So surely I can get better than 4 meg? Has anyone got any idea what sort of speeds I should expect?
      Not too long ago there was an instance here when the maximum sync speed somebody with a attenuation of 2-3db (considered a very short line) could get was 16ish Meg. Hence there is a possibility one might get something short of 20MB no matter how close to the exchange you are.

But assuming your internal wiring is top notch and your line to the exchange is of decent quality you should be easily able to get a 20MB sync. Maybe even more.

The only information I could get out of Sky about how they estimate the line speed was that we do it based on 'historical data'.

Shonk is right about the possibility of them estimating your speed based on the telephone number you have been given. If this number was in use previously the wholesale database will not be updated until the day after your line goes active.

Put in the telephone number you have been given in the following database and see what estimate it gives you: https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Afterwards use the 'address checker' on the same page and see what estimate it gives you.

You will probably see there will be a huge difference between the two.

Giskard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Jambo:

No provider will promise - or is able to promise - a particular speed. There are too many unknowns - too may variables.

In theory you should do very well. As timc said, Your letter from Sky will have confirmed their speed estimation to you for your line but in the same letter you would probably also have been advised that you would start off from 4meg as part of a (standard practice) line-testing process designed so that you end up with the fastest and most stable speeds that your line can provide.

"Is speed estimate a joke?" No - they come later, don't worry

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Tier one will tell you your estimate was 4 Mb so you are doing very well
      See what I mean? You'll love Teir One - they have a great sense of humour.

Anyway, this forum is a great resource - I know nothing about networking and this place has been a real help to me.
      Last edited by Giskard; 19-07-11 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added detail.