Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

@ sign problems please help

This is a discussion on @ sign problems please help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The LLU equipment that Sky installs is always located in the local telephone exchange. This is the case for all ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: @ sign problems please help

The LLU equipment that Sky installs is always located in the local telephone exchange. This is the case for all LLU providers.

Unfortunately the roll-out of this equipment is slow and expensive.

It is Fibre that requires new street cabinets to be installed.

Also when the existing Green Street boxes were first put out, ADSL wasn't even considered.
      Last edited by Scubbie; 20-07-11 at 12:24 AM. Reason: added more info

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      jimbuzz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

i feel t hat they should have told us this instead of saying that they will be able to give us better speeds in the coming years.

iv been jumping around forums and found that the F@ST2304 has quite a negative review, could this be the issue? should i try and ask for them to send some new hardware?

Thanks

Having personally spent a lot of effort trying to help members on this and the Sky forum with many of the issues surrounding the Sagem 2304n, I can honestly say that it is better than when it was first released.

I would also say that the user interface is the slowest I have ever used on any of the routers I have used.

However, once it has been set up it does work reasonably well and does keep a stable connection now. The WiFi can support up to 72mbps and is a little stronger than WiFi g specs, but it is not WiFi n rated.

I do not think your problems are to do with this router so much as they are to do with a wiring problem.

If you have a non-Sky router, then I would welcome a comparison check on your line. I would encourage people to challenge the norm where it is beneficial for all concerned and not harmful to anyone.

Instructions for getting the sign-in details and how to set up your own router are available in this section of this forum:

Extracting Sky Router passwords

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuzz View Post
      so i just phoned sky and the lady basically said that i will have to wait nine days before i can call and they will transfer me, she also said that this will not be necessary because i will definitely get a call back in the next 4 days, which seems odd because they still haven't reviewed my problem so i think that it will take much longer.

about 5 months ago i called them about the very poor connection that i am receiving (i dont even get half a Mb) which frankly is beyond a joke. the guy said that they will call back to arrange for copper wires to be replaced, but this never happened.

i live in the countryside and a lot of the trees do surround the phone lines (even touch) i did think that this could cause problems. this is really annoying i just had to do an xbox live update which should take 5mins i waited for 1.5 hours when it was just about to finish and it disconnected, btw sorry about the rant just needed to get it of my chest haha.
      She is lying to you, but you possibly got through to one of the call centres who reads half a brief when its sent out without the capacity to comprehend what its actually saying.

There are currently average and maximum waiting times for CST depending on your issue, and whether you are SVBN or non SVBN. 9 days is the current MAXIMUM waiting time for a callback, 72 hours is the AVERAGE. They are coping with a backlog but they still accept calls when they are not dealt with in a timely manner.

If you want to speak to CST about your case, call back and tell them you want to go through to them immediately as your case is more than 72 hours old. You are entitled to do so as per the correct brief. They will then ask a managers permission to transfer you.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

She is lying to you,
      Probably just a fob off. There should be a special team to handle problems with Connect, where Sky help can do very little as they do not have the ability to change any settings. Any problems with Connect, bar a faulty router, can only be fixed by BT, so why not escalate them immediately as soon as the basic set up has been checked?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jimbuzz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

well i have found that this router has definitely got a better WiFi strength than the old one that i had as it can now reach my room which is handy so that is one good point i guess.

i also think that the wiring is a bit bad and needs sorted as it is a very old house i just dont really how to go about it tbh.

well i called about it on the 14/07/2011 it is now 6 days later and still no call, it just seems mind blowing that they are in capable of calling me to at least give an update of the situation, i do feel fobbed off, if i do not receive a call by dinner time tomorrow then i think i will give them a call, i just hate how rude some of the CST are.

thanks guys

p.s i made another thread asking for help about my xbox live, the problem is that when my internet is working i.e the @ is green i will try and play online but it will randomly disconnect even though i can still browse the internet and the @ is green. feel like i have 1000's of problems haha.

also do you think any body has a lower DL speed than me?

Thanks

well i have found that this router has definitely got a better WiFi strength than the old one that i had as it can now reach my room which is handy so that is one good point i guess.
      Good.

i also think that the wiring is a bit bad and needs sorted as it is a very old house i just dont really how to go about it tbh.
      You are responsible for the telephone wiring after the test socket.

If like many others you are not happy redoing the wiring, then you should be able to find a local contractor who is willing to do it for you.

Do shop around for prices and check their credentials. I would also check up any references.

well i called about it on the 14/07/2011 it is now 6 days later and still no call, it just seems mind blowing that they are in capable of calling me to at least give an update of the situation, i do feel fobbed off, if i do not receive a call by dinner time tomorrow then i think i will give them a call, i just hate how rude some of the CST are.
      Call Sky again. If you have an open ticket then the people in the first line of support should forward you on to CST. Some might struggle and deny but reports on this forum today confirm what I am suggesting.

p.s i made another thread asking for help about my xbox live, the problem is that when my internet is working i.e the @ is green i will try and play online but it will randomly disconnect even though i can still browse the internet and the @ is green. feel like i have 1000's of problems haha.
      I try to avoid those questions as I don't have an Xbox.

To be honest if your speeds are still quite low, then actually you won't be able to play on-line games. Also most people would recommend that you don't use WiFi when playing on-line games. If your Xbox is located too far from the router, then HomePlugs are a good choice.

also do you think any body has a lower DL speed than me?
      Ever heard of 56K modems?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123