Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

@ sign problems please help

This is a discussion on @ sign problems please help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; That pic is perfect, it confirms that you have a filtered faceplate. This is very good, but doesn't resolve the ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: @ sign problems please help

That pic is perfect, it confirms that you have a filtered faceplate. This is very good, but doesn't resolve the problem.

With regards to User05's question about the telephone noise, could you perform the following test with a corded telephone please:

Plug the corded telephone into the telephone socket and dial '1'. Listen carefully for any noise on the line. It should be totally silent with no hints of hiss or crackling.

Also could you see if you have a BT Junction box? It may look like the ones in the links below and should be between the socket and the outside line if you have one:

BT Junction Boxes

Connection Boxes

Also I asked before, but you didn't confirm: Could you confirm whether or not you have a burglar alarm?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      jimbuzz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

ok so there isnt any hissing or crackling so thats not the problem.

we do not have a "BT Junction box" or a "Connection Box"

the people that lived here before had a burglar alarm but we disconnected and took it out when we moved. thankyou very much btw you've been a good help so far. could it be problems with the exchange even though sky say its peachy?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuzz View Post
      the people that lived here before had a burglar alarm but we disconnected and took it out when we moved.
      Unscrew the faceplate and the telephone socket.

Take a look to see if there are any telephone wires connecting behind the main socket other then the incoming telephone line.

It is possible that the alarm is wired up behind the master socket and causing your connection to be slowed.

Since you have already confirmed that you do not have any extensions, then should be nothing else wired up to the BT line. If there is, you have three choices:

1. pull the wires out yourself
      2. photograph the wiring and post it so that someone can advise what to do
      3. call Sky or the Alarm company and ask for someone to come out and correctly disconnect the telephone line

thankyou very much btw you've been a good help so far. could it be problems with the exchange even though sky say its peachy?
      No problem with the help. According to your Line Attenuation you have a long line, but I suspect that something is causing it to be reduced further, hence all the questions.

Anyone at Sky will be able to see the line attenuation & noise margin and would deduce that it is set to it's optimal settings. This can be misleading if something is connected to your telephone line and is not correctly filtered from the ADSL signal.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Anyone at Sky will be able to see the line attenuation & noise margin and would deduce that it is set to it's optimal settings.
      Unfortunately not everyone can. A small number of tier 1, typically those that have been there quite a while, will have access and CST.

OP, if you can confirm the intermittency from the test socket, then call Sky.

Exchange:
      Thanks

ok so i there arent any wires behind the test socket, but every time i disconnect the grey cable to open the test socket it takes forever for the internet to come back, this is why it is taking a while to write back.

i will have to try and call sky again, they referred me to tier 2 about a week ago saying they would call back in 3-5 days but still no sign, if i call sky myself then they just say that my problems have been referred to the correct team and they will sort it out.

Do you think that they will ever change the copper wires from my exchange to me? its just the speed is extraordinarily slow, possibly the slowest internet ever haha.

Thanks

I appreciate the reconnection time is what is putting you off and I too would be upset if this were the case.

Unfortunately to unscrew the NTE5 socket from the mounting, you need to remove the filtered faceplate.

What I am not 100% sure about is whether or not Sky would charge for the call out. You will need to check this. Normally you are responsible for the wiring from the test socket & inside your home. Your call provider (i.e. whom you pay your line rental to) is responsible for any wiring from the test socket to the telephone exchange.

BT Openreach (the people who will be contracted to do any repairs) will not physically replace all the wiring, but they can retest it and move the connections between the green street box and the telephone exchange.

If the line between your home and the exchange is faulty, then they can & do replace this if there is no good pair available to use. Typically objects such as trees can cause damage to telephone lines, so can faulty street lights or traffic signals.

Have a read of this page on the Kitz site:

::. Kitz - REIN .::

Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

ok so i there arent any wires behind the test socket, but every time i disconnect the grey cable to open the test socket it takes forever for the internet to come back, this is why it is taking a while to write back.

i will have to try and call sky again, they referred me to tier 2 about a week ago saying they would call back in 3-5 days but still no sign, if i call sky myself then they just say that my problems have been referred to the correct team and they will sort it out.

Do you think that they will ever change the copper wires from my exchange to me? its just the speed is extraordinarily slow, possibly the slowest internet ever haha.
      If you have had an open ticket for CST and have had no callback as yet, and if its gone well over 72 hours, tell them you want to be transferred. They are able to do that despite what they might say.

Exchange:
      Thanks

so i just phoned sky and the lady basically said that i will have to wait nine days before i can call and they will transfer me, she also said that this will not be necessary because i will definitely get a call back in the next 4 days, which seems odd because they still haven't reviewed my problem so i think that it will take much longer.

about 5 months ago i called them about the very poor connection that i am receiving (i dont even get half a Mb) which frankly is beyond a joke. the guy said that they will call back to arrange for copper wires to be replaced, but this never happened.

i live in the countryside and a lot of the trees do surround the phone lines (even touch) i did think that this could cause problems. this is really annoying i just had to do an xbox live update which should take 5mins i waited for 1.5 hours when it was just about to finish and it disconnected, btw sorry about the rant just needed to get it of my chest haha.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think you may be on a very very long line which is hardly able to support ADSL. Although your attenuation shows 63.5db, this is the maximum your router will show on G.DMT mode. Your actual attenuation may be running into the 70+db range. If this is the case, there is not much anyone can do about it, apart from using a 3g Dongle.

I have just noticed you are on Connect

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah i think we are one of the last houses to get it from the exchange, what doesnt really make sense to me is that they dont just build another green box, it cant be that hard/expensive for a company like sky, but i dont really know haha.

well im not fully aware of what package we have because my dad sorts all that out but it definitely is cr*p.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast