Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

bad pings

This is a discussion on bad pings within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; How would that affect my already low speed and what information do they need before they can do it, oh ...

Needhelp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: bad pings

How would that affect my already low speed and what information do they need before they can do it, oh and also is it an instant thing or what?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are a regular gamer then a low ping is more important than speed. The gamer profile will sometimes lower your speed, but not always, if it does it will only be by a few Kbs.

When it is done depends on who you get when you phone. Sometimes it can be done 'while you wait', others will tell you it will be done within 72 hours. They don't need any information from you, just the request.

If you are not a keen gamer, don't bother, as having a low ping is no advantage to a non-gamer.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Needhelp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Yeah so they asked me for a password which I did not know.

Ive heard it doesnt lower your ping much anyway so I'll just have to deal with it, thanks for the help though.

Still don't understand though how my ping on my last isp was 25ms to bbc.co.uk, my mate who lives 2 doors down from me and is with orange pings the bbc at 20 ms and me, i ping it at an average of 55ms.

craney13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Braintree
      Router:
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

best thing to do mate is call the CST team direct then ask them to lower your max delay to 8 dont mention gamer profile and they will ajust it to a specific profile that matches your speed, when i asked them to put me on a gaming profile my spped dropped from 3000kbps to 2048 kbps with no real ping change always hung around the 45ms mark. So just ask them to change the max delay and you should be fine. Mines on 8 and i have the same downstream speed i guess it just means your line could be a little less unstable hence the lower delay

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craney13 View Post
      best thing to do mate is call the CST team direct then ask them to lower your max delay to 8 dont mention gamer profile and they will ajust it to a specific profile that matches your speed, when i asked them to put me on a gaming profile my spped dropped from 3000kbps to 2048 kbps with no real ping change always hung around the 45ms mark. So just ask them to change the max delay and you should be fine. Mines on 8 and i have the same downstream speed i guess it just means your line could be a little less unstable hence the lower delay
      You can't just call CST directly, you'll get through to tech support by calling up.

But, yes, just either ask for delays to be lowered to 8ms. If the person doesn't understand this, then ask for a gamer profile. Again, if they don't understand this (which they should) then request a manager/floor-walker/someone who has been there more than a day.

Edit: Needhelp - if you aren't the account holder, then you'll need to get the password off the account holder to call up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123