Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question about the Broadband speed estimate

This is a discussion on Question about the Broadband speed estimate within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So I should be starting the DLM testing any time now but I was wondering how close to the estimated ...

Bitten is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question about the Broadband speed estimate

So I should be starting the DLM testing any time now but I was wondering how close to the estimated speed I would get, I am told from the sky website that the max my line can handle is 6.5xx(bunch of numbers).. This is my local exchange, i dont know if this is of use I am 1.8km away from it.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could inform me if I should get higher or lower than expected. thanks

2. Advertisement
      timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Question about the Broadband speed estimate

If you can post the router stats then people here can give you a decent estimate.

Go here :- http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-routerstats.html

Exchange:
      Thanks

Connection Speed 4088 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.5 dB
      Noise Margin 7.5 dB

Edit: Isn't that Attenuation pretty high considering I'm only 1.8km away from the exchange? I know nothing about this stuff.
      Last edited by Bitten; 15-07-11 at 12:46 PM.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Could you post all the stats from that page please?

It is useful to see both the upstream & downstream details together.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Isn't that Attenuation pretty high considering I'm only 1.8km away from the exchange?
      The distance you are from the exchange does not tell you much as the line length can be much more. It looks like your actual line length is a bit over 3 K.

A bit more worrying is that your noise margin is very low for this stage. The fact that you are syncing a bit below normal suggests that you are not going to get much more. If you have one, plug into the Test socket and post your stats from there, using only the cable supplied by Sky..
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

If you don't have an NTE5 socket, unplug everything you have plugged into the phone line, including Sky digiboxes, plug a filter into the master socket and plug the router only into it. Take and post your stats.

Do you have a monitored alarm?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Could you post all the stats from that page please?

It is useful to see both the upstream & downstream details together.
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4089 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.5 dB 24.1 dB
      Noise Margin 6.3 dB 12.6 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The distance you are from the exchange does not tell you much as the line length can be much more. It looks like your actual line length is a bit over 3 K.

A bit more worrying is that your noise margin is very low for this stage. The fact that you are syncing a bit below normal suggests that you are not going to get much more. If you have one, plug into the Test socket and post your stats from there, using only the cable supplied by Sky..
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

If you don't have an NTE5 socket, unplug everything you have plugged into the phone line, including Sky digiboxes, plug a filter into the master socket and plug the router only into it. Take and post your stats.

Do you have a monitored alarm?
      Sorry I'm lost, I'm not all brains when it comes to this stuff. The one with the test socket is in another room, I can't get my computer in there. I don't know what you mean by a monitored alarm.

Thanks

Something isn't right about those stats. The tool on this site gives an estimate that you line should be able to support between 9Mb-10Mb. The noise margin on your download is below the target of 7dB, whilst there is some room for improvement on the upstream connection.

I've also noticed that there is a huge fluctuation in the noise margins between post #3 & #6. Whilst they can change such a huge change in this short period isn't so good.

Tom (isitme) asked about a monitored alarm, which you didn't understand. Essentially he's asking about a burglar alarm or something else that could be hard wired to your telephone line.

Another question I'm going to ask is whether or not you are in a flat or if your property is a new build?

Also could you see if there is any noise on your telephone line please? To do this, using a corded telephone, dial '1' and listen carefully. The line should be totally silent (i.e. no hiss or crackling).

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Something isn't right about those stats. The tool on this site gives an estimate that you line should be able to support between 9Mb-10Mb. The noise margin on your download is below the target of 7dB, whilst there is some room for improvement on the upstream connection.

I've also noticed that there is a huge fluctuation in the noise margins between post #3 & #6. Whilst they can change such a huge change in this short period isn't so good.

Tom (isitme) asked about a monitored alarm, which you didn't understand. Essentially he's asking about a burglar alarm or something else that could be hard wired to your telephone line.

Another question I'm going to ask is whether or not you are in a flat or if your property is a new build?

Also could you see if there is any noise on your telephone line please? To do this, using a corded telephone, dial '1' and listen carefully. The line should be totally silent (i.e. no hiss or crackling).
      I'm in a flat, it's a new build. The building is alarmed but not my flat specificly. When I dialed 1 there was an EXTREMELY quiet hiss, maybe that could be due to the fact I'm using a cordless phone(All I have)

I'm a heavy downloader so I'm getting all stressed about this, I really hoped I could get good speeds in this flat, I'm still in the process of moving in.

Edit: My noise margin has also changed alot, again.

Noise Margin 4.6 dB 12.7 dB
      Last edited by Bitten; 15-07-11 at 09:14 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bitten View Post
      I'm in a flat, it's a new build. The building is alarmed but not my flat specificly. When I dialed 1 there was an EXTREMELY quiet hiss, maybe that could be due to the fact I'm using a cordless phone(All I have)
      Being in a flat is probably why you have such a problem. If the line is entering the building downstairs and then coming up through the building, then there isn't a huge amount that can be done unfortunately.

I did suggest to someone else on this forum that they may wish to investigate the possibility of replacing the line from downstairs to their flat with a Cat 6 cable. This isn't always possible, and certainly not easy.

The quiet line test needs to be done with a corded phone as cordless phones can introduce noise or suppress it.

I'm a heavy downloader so I'm getting all stressed about this, I really hoped I could get good speeds in this flat, I'm still in the process of moving in.
      Don't let it get to you. I download a fair bit too. I have an old PC that just handles my torrents. It also seeds the ones I've downloaded.

Alternatively you could rent a Seedbox.

Edit: My noise margin has also changed alot, again.

Noise Margin 4.6 dB 12.7 dB
      Hopefully someone else will correct me if I am wrong, but I can't see you getting a lot better with these fluctuations in your noise margin.

You could contact Sky and get your upstream speed increased, but I can't see you getting a huge amount out of it I'm afraid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast