Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sky bb unlimited speed dropped please help

This is a discussion on sky bb unlimited speed dropped please help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi all finally somewhere i can vent my frustration hope you guys will be able to help me we moved ...

techwizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: hunslet
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

sky bb unlimited speed dropped please help

hi all

finally somewhere i can vent my frustration hope you guys will be able to help me

we moved into our property about 5 years ago and since we could not get virgin/ntl we decided to go with sky for the broadband and bt for the phone line and for the past few years i was quite happy with it

speeds we used to get were between 3.5mb to 4mb max but ever since we changed our phone line over to sky our speed has been dropping and we now struggle to see even 2mb .The line attenuation keeps jumping up and down and so does the snr and the funny thing is when i phone sky they tell that i'm lying and the maximum speed i can get is 2mb

i'm really on the verge of junking sky but if i do what if i get the same problem elsewhere .Anyway here are my router stats

DownStream Connection Speed 2042 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 254 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58db 38db
      Noise Margin 9db 19db

only just a few days ago my line attenuation was at 55db and the noise margin at 12db and i got a connection of 3072kbps with no disconnections . i may be going mad but i know my line can handle more than what i've been allocated i've seen it and it was my connection speed for years.

please guys and gals help me out on this one on my last legs here
      cheers

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: sky bb unlimited speed dropped please help

I think what may have happened is that with the changeover you have had your line mode moved from G.DMT to ADSL2+. Although it can give higher speeds, the latter mode can be very unstable on a long line, which yours is. Call Sky and ask them to change your line mode to G.DMT(ADSL1) . You may have to call several times until you get someone capable of doing this or even understands what it means.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think what may have happened is that with the changeover you have had your line mode moved from G.DMT to ADSL2+. Although it can give higher speeds, the latter mode can be very unstable on a long line, which yours is. Call Sky and ask them to change your line mode to G.DMT(ADSL1) . You may have to call several times until you get someone capable of doing this or even understands what it means.
      hi thank you for your input

just rang sky now and the guy switched it to g.dmt as you specified and the speed jumped up from 2042kbps to 2656kbps not quite what i was getting but at least it shows something is chewing up my bandwidth

he also mentioned something about there being a lot of errors on my line and that he has arranged an engineer visit for tomorrow morning so we will see what happens then .For comparison these are my new line stats

Connection Speed 2656 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 56 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 16 db

notice how the line attenuation has gone down is that significant at all ?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is normal for the attenuation to drop, the fact that it rose was the clue that your mode had been changed.
      You can still get a bit on your upload/download, but let them check the line first.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

craney13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Braintree
      Router:
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Hi mate i kinda had the same issue as you, i was recieving more a less the exact same speeds as you were getting and i rang sky today and like everyone says it takes a few calls to get the right person. They sorted me out a treat i just asked them to put me on a 4mb profile with a max delay of 8ms, i was getting pings in the 100's i think mine was set to 16ms b4 and these are the stats i have now

ADSL mode - G.DMT

Connection Speed
      3008 kbps down
      832 kbps up

Line Attenuation
      60.0 dB down (63.5 when on adsl2+)
      31.5 dB up

Noise Margin
      8.4 dB down
      7.0 dB up

As soon as you find someone that knows what your talking about its so much easier, i must admit i think sky's customer service with bb issues is 1st class its just about being lucky and getting the brainy person and not the guy that told me to run a virus scan to improve my pings lol

Thanks

RESULT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i wasn't mad after all , openreach engineer came out today and worked his magic he said the property had two lines allocated to it and all he did was swap the lines to the one with no errors strange thing is when he tested it with his equipment he got results of 5.7mb with 4.7mb effective , strange

so when we booted up the modem the speed settled at 4096kbps but he had to unplug it to install some new cables and the speed dropped to 3328kbps which is just close to what i was getting so i'm really chuffed anyway as per usual these are the new router stats and i will be updating them as i keep an eye on it throughout the week

Connection Speed 3328 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 57 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 16 db

craney13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Braintree
      Router:
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

You can still get more out of your line tho as your noise margin is still at 9db could definatly get maybe another mb with a noise margin of 7db