Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree3Likes
    • 3 Post By mcphailan.

BT throttling connect users?

This is a discussion on BT throttling connect users? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all Been meaning to register here for a while and finally got round to it. Sorry if this is ...

swifteh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ryan1mcq@gmail.com
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

BT throttling connect users?

Hi all

Been meaning to register here for a while and finally got round to it. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

The problem the missus and i have is throttling at peak hours, bang on 5pm every night it happens, struggling like mad to open a webpage never mind do anything else. Now, my partner works for sky in a fife call centre and whenever i mention things to her she says theres nothing sky can do, which is very frustrating....

That might well be the case but this has been going on for months now and is the main reason i stopped playing world of warcraft....because it became unbearable. When i recently phoned sky to investigate, it was escalated to tier 2 and i was told yes we are in fact being throttled! But why? we are surely never anywhere near the 40gig monthly allowance, we dont download movies or games or albums so i cannot understand how 2 computers can rack up 40 gig doing nothing, well occasionally playing wow but thats it.

Like i said this has been going on for months now and im getting so hacked off, i would really like to know if theres anything we can do, is it worth calling BT? (probably not, i know) but desperate times are calling for desperate measures.

Any advive and help is greatly apreciated guys, big thanks in advance
      Last edited by swifteh; 12-07-11 at 10:16 AM.

2. Advertisement
      timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Re: BT throttling connect users?

Any major ISP who provides a BT IPStream service like Sky's Connect fails to buy enough bandwidth so that once peak hours are hit then the service dies.

O2's Access service , Orange's BT service are all appalling once the time approaches 5pm - they're the ones I've experienced.

It seems that things have become steadily worse over the past 18months or so. I guess the increased usage of BBC's iplayer & ITV's equivalent haven't helped.

The only real solution is another ISP either one offering an LLU connection or one of the smaller providers like Plusnet or Xilo.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

From my understanding Sky BB Connect is the worst of all the BTW packages.

If you go over a daily limit of 1.3Gb for about a week or two, you get severally throttled until you have stayed under for at least a week.

For more information, read this thread:

(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

As for seeing if there are any LLU providers in your local exchange, see Samknows:

SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

LLU providers will be able to offer you the best terms for any broadband package. It is also worth calling Sky to see if they have any plans to upgrade your telephone exchange. If the answer is yes, please get it in writing for the planned date and when you will be transferred to the LLU equipment.

If you do end up changing ISPs, then please do your homework. Work out what you are using the Internet for, and anyone else in your home. Take a look at current trends and see if they will influence you. Then narrow down the list of ISPs who can provide packages that suit your requirements. Please feel free to use the link below:

thinkbroadband :: List of Broadband Providers in the UK

Next search for their respective support forums (official & unofficial) and see what kind of problems people can get and how they are handled.

Remember that people will typically use these forums to complain. IMHO you can judge a company on how well they handle complaints. Posting standard links to pages that are inaccurate is not always a good sign.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

mcphailan. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Harrow
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

BT should be throttled....

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcphailan. View Post
      BT should be throttled....
      Why? because Sky stuck over 2 million customers onto a product that has capacity for a fraction of that.

That is Sky's fault nothing to do with BT.

Look at IDnet, Zen etc they are all BTW resellers yet they keep their customers happy and with plenty of peak time bandwidth.

As for LLU though O2 has certainly lost the plot, the new packages launched last year are really really heavily managed and they still don't seem to have sorted out the packet loss problem from last october.

I suppose they are waiting for their new network to be completed and hope that moving onto that sorts it all out.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

mcphailan. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Harrow
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

It was just a casual joke, just word play, nothing (much) against BT, Adrian - 3 people liked the quip