Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slow speeds, please help

This is a discussion on Slow speeds, please help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello there, Recently, I noticed major problems with Sky and the speeds, and to be fair, for the past week, ...

HighFlyer185 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morecambe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Slow speeds, please help

Hello there,

Recently, I noticed major problems with Sky and the speeds, and to be fair, for the past week, I've been trying to figure out what's the problem, and I am fed up to death. I can do quite a bit on a PC (I'm the one that knows the most about PCs at my home, others don't have a clue, so it's like "Plz fix") however when it comes to networking, I'm almost blank. I'd now require your help since this is really bugging me, any help would be really appreciated.

So here's the story, I have Sky's default D-Link router (2640S I imagine), I am on an Unlimited package and my speeds have always been fine, well, around 2-3MB, usually not below, unless I did some port forwarding which was a problem. I required to forward some ports, however at first some software/games/whichever could not see that the ports we're forwarded. After resetting the router, it magically worked. I suppose the D-Link is a lazy kind of a bugger, whenever the ports were forwarded then the speeds would drastically decrease and internet was almost inaccessible, it was equivalent to a dialup speed. After resetting and rebooting it, speeds went back up.

So, after few days of frustration, I called Sky and made up crap that my router is broken. I was surprised that they agreed straight away to send a new router, from what I see on these forums, people's experiences with customer service don't seem to be best.

Anyhow, got the Sagem... Bang, speeds down to 0.40mb/s :/ What the... And well, I noticed that it could be uTorrent slowing it down, but I asked myself, I'm on Unlimited, why would they shape traffic for me? They never used to before. The ping went up as well to like 500ms. So yeah, turned off uTorrent, magic! Speeds went up to 2.1mb/s and upload stayed the same at 0.60mb/s. Even ping went down to 90ms, which still was not satisfying, I always could get 70ms maximum. Even after, the speeds managed to drop however. I returned to the D-Link and now it's getting even worse. 0.20mb/s download at about 10 o'clock, takes ages to open a single webpage, and I can't even mention multitasking with uTorrent and programs such as MSN, they just cut off and disconnect. So yeah, I am crying loud for help at the moment haha. And what's worse, the line speed seems fine in the router stats...

One of the reasons I decided to get a new router from Sky, was that not only the router is lazy at port forwards, but it fails to respond in admin tools. Whenever you try to press something in Security or Maintenance Tab, it usually ends up with 400 Bad Request status. Very, very annoying.

ADSL Firmware Version A2pD030i.d22k
      Modem Status ADSL Link Up
      DownStream Connection Speed 5782
      UpStream Connection Speed 798
      VPI 0
      VCI 40

Hope someone can help me or get me on the track to find the issue at least.

Cheers.
      Last edited by HighFlyer185; 11-07-11 at 11:27 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Slow speeds, please help

I have found in the past that occasionally I need to reboot a router due to the torrents. It can take several minutes for the other computers that were sharing your torrents to stop trying to contact your computer. This can slow your connection for several minutes.

You also don't mention how you are connecting to the router. If the problems are with the WiFi, then setting a channel may be of help to you. Use inSSIDer to see which is the clearest in your area.

Could check that you have the latest firmware for the Sagem? The ADSL Firmware doesn't answer that for me, sorry.

Also check that you don't have any malware or trojans on your computer. MalwareBytes' Anti-malware is a nice product to check for these.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I was doing a full scan with Kaspersky and Spybot, it returned a few trojans, however everything should be clean now. Just about 20 minutes ago, I disabled uTorrent, rebooted the router twice, and download maxes at about 0.65mb/s. And yeah, I am connecting via WiFi. My channel is set to automatic, but I guess I'll try that and update the post.

Edit: I experimented with a few channels, 6, 9 and 11 to be precise (inSSIDer, the software seems a little bit confusing, but I managed to do what was intended), all work similar, set auto scan and rebooted the router once, speeds actually decreased to 0.27mb/s and 0.31mb/s respectively. Any ideas?
      Last edited by HighFlyer185; 11-07-11 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Update

Thanks

No problem.

Do look at the case of the letters though. It can be confusing, but mb is different to MB.

inSSIDer can be useful to help to find a clean channel. Ultimately you may just need to try different ones to see which provides you with the best results.

1, 6, 11 & 13 are the best channels to use as these don't overlap with each other.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

It is mb/s indeed, I never knew they're different, good to know.

Right, so had another go, this time I rebooted the router once again, and set the router channel settings to Auto Scan before rebooting. Speedtest.net shows 0.41 and 0.44 mb/s, so no improvement again whatsoever. I'll try 1 & 13 as well in the meantime.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You might be downloading torrents that are not well seeded. Try to download one of the linux torrents using an ethernet cable and see what speed you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      1, 6, 11 & 13 are the best channels to use as these don't overlap with each other.
      Channel 13 overlaps with 11.

Thanks

Trouble is, my desktop PC is upstairs, and the router is downstairs, so I'd need roughly a 12 meter cable plus I have a laptop downstairs which could be an alternative, however it's out of service, corrupted system.

Tried 1, inSSIDer shows some erm... RRSI (excuse my lack of knowledge) at around -70. I could have a guess that this is a signal strength but I might be incorrect. 13 I think causes a conflict, same kind of RRSI result, and I can only access the router and not the internet. Auto Scan seems to choose between channels 1 and 9, from what I noticed (I think lol)

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Keep inssider open and change the channels one by one on your router while keeping an eye on the rssi. The channel that gives you the lowest rssi will be the clearest one. You should choose this.

The whole procedure should not take more then 5 minutes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      Channel 13 overlaps with 11.
      Ok, sorry, but around half of it is clear of all other channels.

The 2.4GHz channels in my area are flooded with WiFi routers. It's hard to get a clean channel.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyer185 View Post
      Trouble is, my desktop PC is upstairs, and the router is downstairs, so I'd need roughly a 12 meter cable plus I have a laptop downstairs which could be an alternative, however it's out of service, corrupted system.
      Ethernet cable is currently very cheap. Cat 6 cable would ensure a little future proofing and 15m of it can cost as little as [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000PDZK6G/ref=asc_df_B000PDZK6G3554950?smid=A178BSFH5I9JTI&t ag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B000PD ZK6G"]10 at the moment[/ame]. If you did take this route, ensure that you take a route away from feet. Going through the wall is a good option.

An alternative solution is to use a pair of HomePlugs. These cost from around 35. Aim to get a pair that support a 100 or 200mbps connection. Also if wall sockets are limited, a pair that have 'pass-through' sockets are also a good idea. HomePlugs do not work well when fitted on an extension that has surge protection.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyer185 View Post
      Tried 1, inSSIDer shows some erm... RRSI (excuse my lack of knowledge) at around -70. I could have a guess that this is a signal strength but I might be incorrect. 13 I think causes a conflict, same kind of RRSI result, and I can only access the router and not the internet. Auto Scan seems to choose between channels 1 and 9, from what I noticed (I think lol)
      This is likely to be your problem. It may pay you to move the router around, place it on it's end and move the WiFi aerial on your desktop. Change the channels as well.

As Exdee has mentioned, you are looking to get the figure nearer to -30, although this actual figure may not be possible.

Thanks

I seem to have trouble, all channels apart from 1, 6 and 9 seems to be disconnecting the router completely. A router reset using a pin for 10 seconds is the only way to get it started again, because the computer can't pick it up.

But magic somehow occured, download went back up to 4.81mb/s. Yay. Upload stays constant at about 0.60mb/s. Question is, what could be causing it and how can I keep the speed as high as possible? Networking is what I am blank at like I said. I guess it is most likely uTorrent from the posts above, but it seemed to multitask with browsing and with bandwidth without problems before. Could it be that Sky are shaping traffic? But on Unlimited, is that possible?

And yeah, I remember that ethernet cables are indeed quite cheap, and going through a wall would be possible, but it'd take a few days to get it sorted. I could do at least with a temporary speed fix for now for wireless.

Anyhow, thanks a lot! I'll try to figure out a workaround with a cable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast