Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New connection, stats check please?

This is a discussion on New connection, stats check please? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm a new user to sky having just moved out, I was previously with them and ended up cancelling ...

diskworld3 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

New connection, stats check please?

Hi,

I'm a new user to sky having just moved out, I was previously with them and ended up cancelling due to it being slow, I moved over to O2 and had a much better experience. However, I moved and wanted to make use of Sky Anytime+ and i've had it for about a month so if they were doing any testing it should be finished.

I've got a really slow and unstable speed which averages under 3mbps and it should be 'up to 20mbps' as I pay for the unlimited one.

Could someone who knows have a look at my stats and offer any advice?
      I live less than half a mile from my local exchange and have no additional extensions off of my master socket which is where my router is connected to.

I was hoping to get about 16mbps if not close to the full 20 but obviously that's not the case.

Thanks in advance!

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2979 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 46.0 dB 27.6 dB
      Noise Margin 15.9 dB 11.0 dB
      Last edited by diskworld3; 05-07-11 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Always helps to actually put the stats in!

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: New connection, stats check please?

Quote Originally Posted by diskworld3 View Post
      I've got a really slow and unstable speed which averages under 3mbps and it should be 'up to 20mbps' as I pay for the unlimited one.
      The 'up to 20mbps' depends on the distance from the exchange and the quality of the line itself.

I live less than half a mile from my local exchange and have no additional extensions off of my master socket which is where my router is connected to.
      The line may not take the most logical route.

Connection Speed 2979 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 46.0 dB 27.6 dB
      Noise Margin 15.9 dB 11.0 dB
      You should be able to get between 6-7MB based on your current stats but a phone call to Sky will be required. Tell them you have made improvements to your wiring and would like your line uncapped. Both the upstream and the downstream.

You may also want to try a different micro-filter to see if that improves your stats. Lastly have you got your Sky box connected to your phone line?

diskworld3 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Thanks for that, My sky box is indeed plugged into the phone line so I'm not in breach of contract.

What says to you that it is capped? The attenuation?

Thanks

The attenuation is the length of the line.
      The excessive noise margin indicates you are capped. If your noise margin is greater then 7db it means you are capped.

The reason I asked about the Sky box is because sometimes these can be connected incorrectly to your phone line and cause problems. Just make sure that the first thing plugged into the socket is a micro-filter and the splitter containing the wire that goes to your sky box is connected to the mico-filter.

diskworld3 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Right...

I've just changed the plugs over as the skybox was the first thing plugged in with the micro filter coming off of it, that's how the sky tv guy set it up and it looked a lot smarter thanks to their splitter thing.

The stats have changed a little and look like this:
      Connection Speed 3072 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 46.0 dB 27.5 dB
      Noise Margin 13.2 dB 10.5 dB

Which is a bit quicker with lower margin. Still anything else that can be done? I'll ring them tonight when they're quieter.

Thanks

You could try the router in the test socket. As you have no extensions there is little significance of this step but it could rule out a faulty faceplate.

Don't forget using a brand new filter!
      Restart the router too.

Also what kind of house are you living in? How old is it? Can you identify a BT wire emerging from the master socket or is it concealed? If you can see the BT wire follow it around and see if you can spot any junction boxes such as the one in the picture below..