Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stuck in a weird limbo (No phoneline, no Sky, but have broadband access!)

This is a discussion on Stuck in a weird limbo (No phoneline, no Sky, but have broadband access!) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Several months ago I was working out of the country, forgot to let BT or Sky know ( BT who ...

Lino is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Stuck in a weird limbo (No phoneline, no Sky, but have broadband access!)

Several months ago I was working out of the country, forgot to let BT or Sky know (BT who I have the phoneline with, Sky who I have the Unlimited BB with), obviously BT cut the phone line, but when I got home the broadband was still working (I never even bothered checking to see if the phoneline was still active or not), but on checking my Sky package page on the website it was showing me that I'd cancelled the Sky Broadband, odd, as the net connection was still active, I was still able to access the Sky supplied Netgear router and it was still showing me the line was active.

So I've been stuck in a weird limbo, at the time I even called Sky and explained the situation to them, but they insisted there was no broadband connected to that line.

It's only REALLY become a problem as over the past 24 hours or so the linespeed has dropped from around 11,000 down to about 3,700.

Obviously, calling Sky and telling them that won't help me at all as they don't think I exist (I am here aren't I guys?!).

Where do I go now? Do I abandon BT totally, get in touch with Sky and order a broadband/phone package with them? If I do that, how long, on average would that take to sort out, the Sky page is a bugger to navigate and I REALLY don't want to switch to BT unless I have to (No one has a good word to say about them..).

There you go, that's something to ponder on a Tuesday afternoon, I know I'm going to need to get it sorted one way or another, but I don't really know where to begin.

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask me!

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Stuck in a weird limbo (No phoneline, no Sky, but have broadband access!)

Just a thought , are you still paying for Broadband lol

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Pat View Post
      Just a thought , are you still paying for Broadband lol
      Heh, that was the FIRST thing I checked! It's not as if I've not been in touch with them to say "Listen, it's still connected..."

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Basically, BT didn't disconnect your line from the BB gear so you're still getting the service, albeit for free

As Sky don't see you as officially having BB they can't raise any faults or speed your line up. You'd need to take out a new service to get everything reset
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Free Broadband for all lol....... Obviously a problem as your speed has dropped. You might want to post your router stats taken from a wired connection straight from the test socket so we can see what it is going on. If you try to order another new contract you will have problems without be able to cancel the old connection first.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky decided I dont exist about 4 years ago despite lots of communication from me saying I'm here! they insist I'm not! I only had trouble when they started DLM my speed drop to a quater of what it was and stayed there! I rang Sky again they still said I dont exist! So I sent an email to there techy help address, 2 days later I got an email back saying that they had set my line back to 12mb and hoped I was now happy with the service!

Strange but true!
      Last edited by Koala5; 06-07-11 at 03:52 PM.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

It can and does occasionally happen that your Sky BB can remain connected after a cancellation.

Essentially if a new customer needed to be connected, and the point at which you are connected to the equipment was required, then you would loose the connection then.

I've known someone else to be connected for over 5 months like this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and see if I can eventually get through to someone who'll accept the fact I'm still connected. They'd better not go looking for backpayments though, I tried telling them when it originally happened!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Don't worry about the current connection. Just sign up to a new contract with whomever you wish.

Officially you are not connected to anyone and no back payments were sought after from my friend.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I would not be surpised if they come back to you with "Someones got a tag on your line, so we can't progress until it is removed"

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast