Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 19

    Engineer tips?

    This is a discussion on Engineer tips? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, long time reader, first time poster. ANother sad tale of slow speed, that has jsut got worse. Started off ...

    1. #1
      TerryCox's Avatar
      TerryCox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Roath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Posts
      6
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Engineer tips?

      Hello, long time reader, first time poster.

      ANother sad tale of slow speed, that has jsut got worse.

      Started off getting about 1.6mb, this was increased to 1.8mb after several calls to Sky, i was pretty much told to get Cable ( which i had just left ) I managed to get use to 1.8mb, but 10 days ago I lost internet connection completely, noise on the telephone line was terrible. After 5 days connections re-establish, but around 800kb and didn't stay connected for long. I finally purchased a new microfilter, which established a more reliable connection, but there are still random drops and the speed has dropped to 1.1mb, so the good people at Sky are sending out an engineer.

      Router statistics are with the filter connected to the Test socket, with no other connections


      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1152 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 10.9 db 18.0 db

      I appreciate i am quite far from the exchange (Roath, Cardiff) but can i really expect to get anything better than the 1.8mb? And what kind of things should i expect the engineer to do?

      Any advice is greatly appreciated
      Apologies for any obvious information i have left out


    2. Advertisement
    3. #2
      Exdee's Avatar
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Posts
      1,556
      Thanks
      22
      Thanked 186 Times in 179 Posts

      Re: Engineer tips?

      Your stats look quite decent for the length of your line. Your speed has been capped from Sky's end. Ring them and ask them to set your target noise margin to 7.

      There was no need for Sky to arrange an engineer visit.

    4. #3
      Scubbie's Avatar
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Portsmouth
      Posts
      27,895
      Thanks
      810
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

      Re: Engineer tips?

      Quote Originally Posted by TerryCox View Post
      ...I managed to get use to 1.8mb, but 10 days ago I lost internet connection completely, noise on the telephone line was terrible. After 5 days connections re-establish, but around 800kb and didn't stay connected for long. I finally purchased a new microfilter, which established a more reliable connection, but there are still random drops and the speed has dropped to 1.1mb, so the good people at Sky are sending out an engineer....
      I would expect the engineer to establish why you have this noise on your line.

      I trust that you have plugged a corded telephone into the test socket and performed a quiet line test at some stage? If not, then it is quite simple to do.

      With just a corded telephone plugged into the test socket, dial 17070 and follow the prompts for a quiet line test. Alternatively dial '1'.

      In both cases listen carefully for any noise on the line. Your line should be completely silent.

      If there is any hissing, crackling or any other noise, then the problem is a line fault and the BTO Engineer will hopefully locate the problem and fix it for you.

      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

    5. #4
      IWasNotTheEnemy's Avatar
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      London
      Posts
      9,374
      Thanks
      3
      Thanked 122 Times in 121 Posts

      Re: Engineer tips?

      Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      Your stats look quite decent for the length of your line. Your speed has been capped from Sky's end. Ring them and ask them to set your target noise margin to 7.

      There was no need for Sky to arrange an engineer visit.
      The line WILL be set to a 7dB SNR - the capping is that the speed has been manually set to give a higher SNR
      -------------------------------------------



      Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

    6. #5
      Exdee's Avatar
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Posts
      1,556
      Thanks
      22
      Thanked 186 Times in 179 Posts

      Re: Engineer tips?

      Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      The line WILL be set to a 7dB SNR - the capping is that the speed has been manually set to give a higher SNR
      I see. His noise margin is hovering around 11db which is known to be one of the configurable target SNR's on Sky, hence my suggestion.

    7. #6
      User05's Avatar
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Posts
      3,030
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 171 Times in 164 Posts

      Re: Engineer tips?

      7, 9 and 12dB are the target SNRs.

    8. #7
      Exdee's Avatar
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Posts
      1,556
      Thanks
      22
      Thanked 186 Times in 179 Posts

      Re: Engineer tips?

      Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      7, 9 and 12dB are the target SNRs.
      Thanks. I think I mixed it up with o2.

    9. #8
      TerryCox's Avatar
      TerryCox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Roath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Posts
      6
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Engineer tips?

      Thanks for the replies.

      Engineer arrived this morning, unfortunately i wasn't here to see what he did, but he did something.


      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2048 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 56.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 18.5 db 26.0 db

      Never thought i would be so happy to get 2mb, just hope it lasts

    10. #9
      Exdee's Avatar
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Posts
      1,556
      Thanks
      22
      Thanked 186 Times in 179 Posts

      Re: Engineer tips?

      Quote Originally Posted by TerryCox View Post
      Thanks for the replies.

      Engineer arrived this morning, unfortunately i wasn't here to see what he did, but he did something.


      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2048 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 56.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 18.5 db 26.0 db

      Never thought i would be so happy to get 2mb, just hope it lasts
      Oh my days!
      You are going to get well beyond 2MB.

      But a phone call to Sky will be required.

    11. #10
      TerryCox's Avatar
      TerryCox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Roath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Posts
      6
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Engineer tips?

      Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      Oh my days!
      You are going to get well beyond 2MB.

      But a phone call to Sky will be required.
      Really? I'd hate to upset the "Broadband Gods" and risk losing what i got for being greedy

     

     
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2017. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION