Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Suddenly slow internet - d/l speed only

This is a discussion on Suddenly slow internet - d/l speed only within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I am experiencing really slow download speeds. I have had sky max for 2 or 3 yrs and had ...

Broosta is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Suddenly slow internet - d/l speed only

Hi, I am experiencing really slow download speeds. I have had sky max for 2 or 3 yrs and had connection of about 15/0.8meg pretty reliably and today I'm getting 0.2/0.8meg.

I noticed it earlier but then it sped up to 10/0.8meg for a while so I thought it was getting better but now its worse again.

I had sky+ hd installed yesterday as an upgrade from sky not plus and not hd. Don't know if this is significant?

Here are my router stats:-

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10754 kbps 1024 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24 db 13 db
      Noise Margin 5 db 8 db

The noise margin seems to be jumping about pretty quickly anywhere between 2 and 11.
      Really quite annoying but odd as upload is normal, just download limited to dial up speeds.

I did call sky and spoke to a nice lady in India who talked me through deleting stored browsing data and cookies and stuff then said its a virus maybe as I had about 15 open connections showing up in netstat, and advised I run a virus scan.
      I have and it was fine.
      I'm now d/l'ing ad aware and spybot just in case, but obviously its taking quite a while!

Thanks for reading, can anyone please advise what I should do?

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Suddenly slow internet - d/l speed only

Make sure that the first thing plugged into your socket is a micro-filter. Everything else including the splitter that goes to the Sky box should be plugged into the micro-filter.

The engineer probably made a blunder here and plugged the splitter before the micro-filter.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

Broosta (02-07-11)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Whilst it is commendable to install AV & anti-malware software, the stats don;t lie.

These indicate that something has happened to your line.

I would be tempted to call Sky again. Before you do this though, it would be worth doing some checks at your end to identify anything that might cause a problem at your end.

Your line attenuation indicates that you should be getting over 16Mb in the stats.

So what can you look at?

Firstly, can you plug the router in the test socket and take the stats?

Next could you swap the microfilter for another that hasn't ever been used and check in the test socket again please?

Also for reference, I tend to use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware now for checking & removing malware.

I was reading an article yesterday that indicates that there is a really nasty bot out there which the anti-virus & anti-malware software available is having difficulty detecting & removing.

BBC News - Security researchers discover 'indestructible' botnet

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

I found with the Sky+ boxes that a microfilter wasn't always necessary for it's telephone connection but the HD boxes it seems more necessary.

Typically the "engineer" will connect the box to the phone line when doing an install but not connect it via a microfilter.

Worth checking. Also there have been instances where it's been necessary to double filter the HD box phone connection.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to timc For This Useful Post:

Broosta (02-07-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for your responses guys.

I have run a few scans of Ad Aware and Malwarebytes which threw up a couple of things which were put into the vault. I did speed tests after a nd no change.

I had a look at the microfilter situation and everything that uses a phone line has one on including the sky hd box. I already plug the modem into the master box albeit not the test socket, but its hard to get to due to a cupboard in the way so I decided first to unplug the sky hd line from the microfilter leaving the sky hd box unplugged. I just did a speed test and its all back up to 10meg+!

Router stats:-

Connection Speed 14331 kbps 1044 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24 db 12 db
      Noise Margin 13 db 8 db

Do I really need the sky hd box plugged in all the time then? Or do I need to double filter it?
      But anyway awesome advice guys, and at least I've located the problem now.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Do I really need the sky hd box plugged in all the time then? Or do I need to double filter it?
      Are you sure it is filtered? The TV installers plug in a splitter which looks like a filter but is not. To make matters worse they usually have a label on them saying ' do not remove'. You would think they would have got their act together by now.

As long as you don't have multi room, Sky do not bother too much if it is plugged in or not. It is really for your convenience. If you don't use the Box office or other interactive services very often, just leave it unplugged. You can always plug it in if you want to order something. Double filtering does help in some cases, but the best thing to do is fit and use a filtered faceplate. These isolate all the rest of the phone circuit, meaning you don't need filters on the other sockets. As a bonus, they have a much better quality filter than the Sky supplied ones.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Broosta (02-07-11)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

The reason why we ask you to plug your router into the Test socket is to quickly rule in or rule out issues with your internal wiring.

There are some things which can interfere with the signal, even when you are using the filters in all the sockets.

In the longer term a filtered faceplate would probably suit you much better as it filters the ADSL signal at the point of entry and all the extensions are then free from interfering with the signal as well.

Technically your call provider (i.e. whom you pay the line rental to) is responsible for the line between your test socket and the telephone exchange. You are responsible for anything after the test socket.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Broosta (02-07-11)

boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

You have room for more speed, phone sky up and get them to reconfigure your line, you should now sync at 16 - 18Mbps.
      You do not need to have your sky HD+ box connected, if you want to use any service like to order a film etc you can plug it in, but apart from that you do not need it plugged in, i do not have mine plugged in at all.

boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

sorry i have just worked it out, looks like you will sync around 16000Kbps.
      16-17Mbps if you have a very good line

15. The Following User Says Thank You to boothy_08 For This Useful Post:

Broosta (02-07-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok I just plugged the adsl into the test socket and the stats are 100% identical.

Connection Speed 14331 kbps 1044 kbps
      Noise Margin 13 db 8 db

I just rebooted and now upstream has improved a fraction.

Connection Speed 14331 kbps 1048 kbps
      Noise Margin 13 db 8 db

Presume this means the internal wiring is not at all faulty.
      Would replacing the master socket with a filtered one make any difference in that case?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast