Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Suddenly slow internet - d/l speed only

This is a discussion on Suddenly slow internet - d/l speed only within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sky just increased the bandwidth a bit and said it would still improve over the next 10 days and I ...

Broosta is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Suddenly slow internet - d/l speed only

Sky just increased the bandwidth a bit and said it would still improve over the next 10 days and I have to leave the router turned on.

Stats:-

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15258 kbps 1044 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24 db 13 db
      Noise Margin 11 db 8 db

So l will be happy if things do improve over the next few days. I was getting about 15Mbps on speed tests before so I'm still down at the moment on that.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

This is certainly a lot nicer than you had this morning and a 50% improvement on what you had only last Friday!

Keep an eye on your figures over the next few days. If the person has restarted DLM then things should improve nicely. It might take 3 days to kick in.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Broosta (05-07-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

My router stats have not changed at all yet.
      Should they have by now?
      Its been 5 days.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Ring them! Looking good for 17-18 Meg..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

Broosta (11-07-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok I have a day off today so decided to call sky to turn things up a bit. Sounds simple enough doesn't it. lol!

First person I speak to after a 7 min wait is what sounds like an Indian gentleman who said he'll put in a request to the appropriate department who will try to turn the connection speed up in 24-48 hrs time maybe if all is well with my line. I asked if it was possible to just do it right now and he was not able to do so. My response was thanks for your help and goodbye.

I called back immediately and got through instantly to an Irish lady who took details and checked the line and told me there are 2000 critical errors on my line so I need to remove the upgraded router wire (which I stupidly told her I had installed!) so she could rule out a problem with my internal wiring. I said I was confused as my router stats show noise margin of 11 meaning all is well. She said her end was showing 7, I said how is that possible. She said not sure but I need to put the original sky grey cable back and they would test the line and I said I don't have that cable any more so she said they will send me one so I can install it!

I realised I needed to switch tacks here a bit!

I told her I'd upgraded and improved the wiring in my house and the stats I can see which update every 10 secs show all is well and that my line can handle faster speeds. And that if there is a problem its external but surely the noise margin would be higher if that was the case.
      She put me on to her superviser (who sounded exactly like Jedi Jim from The Apprentice!) who sort of tried to confuse me into just letting them do nothing, and then he sort of conceded that my line was showing it could handle 17.5 meg and so he turned it up to 16.25 meg. Then he added that just as he had done that his stats showed an increase my line could handle which was now up to 18ish meg, but he advised to stay at 16.25 and see how that goes. I was happy with this as my noise margin dropped to 7 when he changed things and obviously that is maxed out at my end right which is all I wanted.

Why are they so reluctant to increase our speeds?

Updated router stats:-

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16221 kbps 1044 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24 db 13 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 7 db

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Well done for getting the speed increase.

The issue about the errors is actually quite important. With the exception of the Netgear DG834GT, all the Sky routers do not let us see how many CRC errors are on the line. These can impair your performance.

I don't know your personal skill levels with regards to creating your own ADSL cable. Many others (not all) who have made their own cables have had problems and in fairness the short grey ADSL lead that Sky supplies is fine.

CRC errors indicate a line problem. This can be a minor problem, which can be easily rectified. It could be something under your control or it might be somewhere between your home and the exchange.

I would encourage you to see if you can find the source and in turn find out whether or not it can be repaired. It is worth noting that they won't get better but could become worse over time.

In some cases BTO won't be able to do much though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I don't know your personal skill levels with regards to creating your own ADSL cable. Many others (not all) who have made their own cables have had problems and in fairness the short grey ADSL lead that Sky supplies is fine.
      Yeah the original cable is probably fine, if its long enough. Unfortunately I need something about 3.5m long so I opted for a 5m RJ11 ended with "external tin coated copper braiding screens outside interference to a minimum & gold plated copper contacts ensure optimum connection speed is maintained" that I bought from Maplin. http://images.maplin.co.uk/300/a95cg.jpg
      The cable needs to go through the wall into the other room so I thought I'd get the best I could find for it, and although I don't doubt it could be no better than the original cable I'm much more sure its no worse, and the router stats taken before and after echo this.

mcphailan. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Harrow
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broosta View Post
      I called back immediately and got through instantly to an Irish lady who took details and checked the line and told me there are 2000 critical errors
      That lady had me on my hands and knees a few weeks ago, when "sorting me out"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123