Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Full wireless connection but no internet

This is a discussion on Full wireless connection but no internet within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; it was working fine then had the problems as above which got increasingly worse. Yesterday there was no connection to ...

vix2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Full wireless connection but no internet

it was working fine then had the problems as above which got increasingly worse. Yesterday there was no connection to either router although showing a full signal. Before that I couldn't access either router to see any settings and there was no ip assigned to the routers. I have unplugged both routers while I am out today so would appreciate any advice on where to go from here. cheers

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I puzzled for the moment. I'll chat privately as there may be a few things that can be tried & report the findings when complete.

If anyone has any clues to the cause, please post them.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think you hit it on the head Scubbie with your very first suggestion in the thread. Until the connection issue is resolved there is always going to be a problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

it was working fine then had the problems as above which got increasingly worse. Yesterday there was no connection to either router although showing a full signal. Before that I couldn't access either router to see any settings and there was no ip assigned to the routers. I have unplugged both routers while I am out today so would appreciate any advice on where to go from here. cheers

Exchange:
      Thanks

Am having real Problems signing into this site, don't know if it's because I'm on iPhone. Scubbie please excuse me not pm'ing as every time I try the site logs me out!!!
      I have run ipconfig and the router has no dns suffix or default gateway. I have been trying all night with both routers to no avail. As I have no Internet connection I cannot access the router settings. Any ideas?

livesourav is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SKYGODS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Gods Xtreme
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Idiot Box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vix2000 View Post
      I have 2 sagem routers set up as per scubbies fantastic instructions. All has been great until last night. All of a sudden I had full wireless connection but couldn't get on any internet site.

I spent hours searching on my iphone for different solutions, the error message being that the connection was set up to a 169 ip address. I deleted the connection and set up a new one, which gave a valid ip address but still no internet. restarted both routers, reset both routers, changed settings then changed them back when it didnt work.

I was assuming it was a problem with airport on my mac, but then had the idea to plug in my old windows pc. This was the same, all I was getting was the router home page, checked my iphone on wifi and the same. So definately something to do with the connection or routers.

Then, after about 3 hours it just came back on !!!

Got home tonight and again, full signal but no internet access found by my daughter on her windows pc. Sparked up my mac and ditto.

I went into the kitchen and pressed the reset button for 15 secs on the primary router, then connected my mac to the secondary router in my bedroom, and all is working at the moment.

From the numerous hits on this problem it looks like a very common occurance. I am concerned that I am going to have to reset the router every time I want to use the internet. Has anyone else had the same problem and have a solution, please? Thanks.
      Hi Vix2000, you dont have to break your head over this issue ... This might be happening due to an interference between the signals in your house ... and why are you using two routers ?? are both the routers provided by sky ??

Just check the light that has an @ symbol on it, Check whats the status of that light when you are not able to connect.

If the @ light is green it means its a prob with your computer settings. If the light is Solid amber or No light then it might be a problem with the physical setup of the broadband or a line fault !

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Am having real Problems signing into this site, don't know if it's because I'm on iPhone. Scubbie please excuse me not pm'ing as every time I try the site logs me out!!!
      No problem. I frequently have to log in again with my Win 7 Laptop.

I have run ipconfig and the router has no dns suffix or default gateway. I have been trying all night with both routers to no avail. As I have no Internet connection I cannot access the router settings. Any ideas?
      I suspect that the link between the two routers isn't working. Only the primary router is set up to issue IP addresses. If you are not connecting to this, then your computer won't be given an IP address in the correct range for the LAN.

If you were to set a manual address, then you would be able to access the router.

The primary router could be reset without fear of loosing anything. This should allow it to once more connect to the Internet. With the power on, press and hold the reset button for around 10 seconds. This should allow it to regain access to the Internet if it is not faulty.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

As I have no Internet connection I cannot access the router settings. Any ideas?
      You do not need an internet connection to enter the router settings, unless you are trying to do this from outside your Local network. When you put http://192.168.0.1/ in an address bar or click the link, what happens? What lights are showing on your primary router? I hope you are using ethernet to connect to the router as connecting by wireless when you are having problems is not a good idea. Better to take wireless out of the equation.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

At my daughters for an hour so online at last.
      Both my routers are sky sagem, exactly the same. I have tried resetting the primary router but it did not work. However I did not check the lights. I will tonight. I have connected the router to my win 7 laptop via ethernet, put the router ip in the address bar but nothing happens, it times out.
      I have attaches the status pages from my mac. The ip address is not the one it should be. To access the router via ethernet do I just plug one end into the router, one in the pc and type in the ip, even if there is no internet signal and the router is not plugged into the phone line?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Full wireless connection but no internet-screen-shot-2011-07-25-22.31.34.jpg   Full wireless connection but no internet-screen-shot-2011-07-25-22.31.15.jpg  

Thanks

Although it is set to obtain an IP automatically, it is not getting one from the router. You could try using the dropdown to configure it with an IP address, 192.168.0.100 would do with 255.255.255.0 as the subnet and 192.168.0.1 as the Gateway.

Use ethernet and unplug the second router when you are trying to access the first one.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast