Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

router advice

This is a discussion on router advice within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I've been connected since tuesday, still on dlm but no problems with speeds, syncing at 14333. I have a ...

nw1456 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

router advice

Hi

I've been connected since tuesday, still on dlm but no problems with speeds, syncing at 14333.

I have a D-link router (firmware 2.04) and it's been doing ok... until yesterday evening! about 8pm it decided to reboot itself for no apparent reason, and Long story short, it needed a full reset as it stuffed itself up so bad.

After a lengthy call to Sky, I was phoned back by (tech support?) and after hanging up I had my username and password in my hand, I didn't even ask for it, it was offered!!

Problem is I'm on the MER network and neither of the routers I have seem capable of spoofing mac addresses, I have a speedtouch 585 v7 and a couple of 2 wire 2700's. The Thompson does seem to get a sync, but won't authenticate.

So what's the recommendation for a router that will work with MER\spoofing etc?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: router advice

Quote Originally Posted by nw1456 View Post
      So what's the recommendation for a router that will work with MER\spoofing etc?
      Nobody knows the answer to that yet.

I don't think PPPoA is completely disabled on your line. You must be able to connect using it. Try it on one of your existing routers.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

You don't need to spoof the MAC address.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

On the MER network, some have found that they were only able to connect by spoofing the MAC, even when using PPPoA. Sky may have 'done something' to the authentication procedure when they added MER to the network.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah, some strange stuff going on with this router. I've been monitoring it with routerstats for a day now and it occasionaly looks like it drops connection, but it actually doesn't

It's just done it again, routerstats says it's dead and the router interface (192.168.0.1) is non responsive, but the internet still works fine, like nothing happened.

I'll see if I can post a pic. Let's see if a reboot sortsit.

Well no need for a reboot, shortly after my last post it started working on it's own. Looks like I'm on the phone to sky again tomorrow! Starting to think I made a big mistake here, oh dear!
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails router advice-derrr.jpg  
      Last edited by nw1456; 27-06-11 at 11:22 PM. Reason: update

Exchange:
      Thanks

I spoke to Sky and after I explained the problems with the router they agreed it was borked and sent me a new one. The new router is a Sagemcom 2504n.

One issue I had was that the firewall would not forward port 443 to my local Lan, same problem on both routers, I've tried every configuration there is, still no go.

I used the u/n p/w extractor and slapped the details into a 2wire V6. It connected instantly using PPPoa, 0, 38. Now everything works perfectly including port 443.

I was on the MER network, have been since I was activated, and I haven't used any spoofing of any kind, in fact I can't as the 2wire doesn't support it. I can only think that the original log on details I had were wrong. My IP address has changed from a 90.xxx, to a 2.xxx range.

It seems a shame that what appears to be a good service, is let down by these trashy routers, what are Sky thinking about? why can't they just give people the choice to install their own router, but only support the ones they supply, I don't see the problem.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The new router is a Sagemcom 2504n.
      Are you sure? That is the new full wireless N router, which no one has reported actually receiving.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Are you sure? That is the new full wireless N router, which no one has reported actually receiving.
      Sorry, you're right. It's the 2304n, I'd been doing some reading on the forum and the number got stuck in my head for some reason.

Not sure what the wireless is like on it, I only had it connected long enough to find out it was virtually the same as the D-link and then extracted it's details.