Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Downstream dropped after changing router

This is a discussion on Downstream dropped after changing router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I changed to a non sky router and now my downstream has changed from 8128 to 6432 kbps. How ...

Cosmo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect :(
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Downstream dropped after changing router

Hello,
      I changed to a non sky router and now my downstream has changed from 8128 to 6432 kbps. How is this even possible? Is there anything I can do besides change back to the crappy router sky gave me? If it helps, I now have a TP-Link TD-W8960N.

I was considering running this as a secondary router my sky one. That way I get a wireless network that doesn't drop out randomly and somehow more downstream. But of course I'd rather work out why this is happening.

Thanks,
      Cosmo

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Re: Downstream dropped after changing router

Post your full router stats from both the routers. Also what sky router are you using?

How to get your router statistics

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You did say you were leaving for Virgin and your Profile says you are with them, have you changed your mind and decided to stay with Sky Connect? Had enough, and am FINALLY leaving.

Is the TPlink set up to use G.DMT or MultiMode?

Your stats will show if something is not right, but it is possible your TPLink is not compatible with BTADSL Max.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ha. I thought someone would bring that up. I did change to Virgin but they had set up issues which they didn't seem to want to share in detail. I left it as it was and am still somehow connected with Sky. Perhaps just a coincidence, but since trying to leave Sky, my troubles with meaningless throttling has completely stopped.

Anyway, onto router stats

Sky Router (black Netgear):

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7008 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 7 db 2 db
      Noise Margin 6 db 26 db

TP-Link Router:

Downstream Upstream
      Line Coding(Trellis): On On
      SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 58 260
      Attenuation (0.1 dB): 80 30
      Output Power (0.1 dBm):98 121
      Attainable Rate (Kbps): 7040 1248

Path 0
      Downstream Upstream
      Rate (Kbps): 6496 448

Is the downstream on the sky router actually the "Attainable Rate" because then they would match up? Also I did think the attenuation was the problem but its just the scale, they match up within 1dB of each other assuming that's the scale that Sky's router uses.

By the looks of things it isn't a problem with just the router (unless the new router has caused the exchange to lower my speed for stability?).

What could cause me to lose 1mb in downstream?? In actual speed testing, I'm scoring 5mb (on both routers); around 2mb less than usual

Also @isitme, it says it is in mode ADSL_G.dmt... not too sure what this means.. is it good?

Thanks

That is a bit puzzling, you should easily get the maximum of 8128kbps with a good noise margin. You are a long way short of either. I think you may have to go back to basics and plug into your Test socket and take the stats from there.

You are set to the correct mode.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Some what disappointing that I'm on the right mode, I thought you may have been onto something there .

Unfortunately I don't have a test socket, but I've always been able to reach 8128 on the sky router page and up to 7.6mbps on a speedtest using the socket as normal.

I thought the downstream was updated every 3 days by the exchange, but the TP-Link router changes every time it is rebooted so what I'm getting right now is up to date. I can't work it out I guess I could just ignore it for a week and see if it sorts itself out..

Thanks

You haven't plugged something else in without using a filter have you? There is also a chance that the filter is failing, so if you have a spare, unplug everything from the phone line including in other sockets you may have, and try it.

With BT your line should sync up to its maximum when you plug in. The line Profile may take some time to get up to speed, but the actual sync should be full speed. From your low noise margin, it seems you are getting all your line can handle.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

The micro-filter was actually something I changed. I changed it to the TP-Link one because it looked better. I didn't think it would function at all differently. None the less I switched it back. If this is the problem I'm going to smash the new filter with a hammer.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Off topic, but it's a real shame you can't get any LLU ISP's with that lovely low attenuation figure you have.
      Current Sync 79999/19999

SkyCST is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02087
      Broadband ISP: Other
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The sky router will show the actual downstream connection rate.
      Not max attainable.

And if one router is showing a higher speed than another, its fairly obvious what is happening.

Its clear the sky router here is out performing the non sky one. (Unusual i know)

But if you plug in sky and get 8mbps but only 6mbps from the other then its either the cables your using (if differnt) or its that router.

Cant believe no one else has stated this...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast