Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Not Connecting

This is a discussion on Not Connecting within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys Hoping that someone can help. I went on holiday on 4th June and returned 2 weeks later. I ...

mikelane is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pinner
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Not Connecting

Hi Guys

Hoping that someone can help. I went on holiday on 4th June and returned 2 weeks later. I had pulled the power lead from the Netgear router before going and switched the computer off. On returning, I reversed the process but the router would not connect up to the Sky broadband. After booting, the only lights to stay on were the power, wireless and LAN connections but no @ indicating Broadband. Rang Sky and they made me do all the usual things including resetting the router to no avail. It was escalatednto Teiresias 2 but did not hear anything aftr 3 more calls to them. Meanwhile borrowed my son's redundant Sky Netgear router (he has defected to another supplier) and using my existing power supply and lead to the filtered scket attempted to connect via his Roger with the same results. Rang Sky again today and they agreed to put the call through to Teiresias 2. This was finally answered after 30 minutes by a very helpful guy who seemed to know what he was talking about. He feted the line and sent series of pips down it which I could hear. He said that the line appeared OK a nd said that he could see other users locally (pinner) on line. Even though I have tried another router, he is sending a new one as he thiks that possibly the wire between the router and the socket might be damaged (I had tried another one) OR the power supply might be damaged as it has been in use for 6 years. As the wifi works and I can access the router from the computer and see all my LAN connections my question is does the power supply sound like the problem or can anyone suggest what else the problem might be?

Sorry to be so long-winded but just trying to present the whole scenario. I never thought that living without broadband for 6 days could be so devastating! Using my mobile for this.

Many thanks in anticipation

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Not Connecting

Ok, I got the gist of that.

It would help people if you could break any future posts into smaller sentences and use paragraphs though please.

You have stated that your BB appears to be dead and that you swapped your son's old router. You specifically stated that you did not swap the PSU.

Could I ask that you try to grab the PSU from your son, if possible. Whilst it would be fine to wait a few more days for the replacement router to arrive, it is good practise to swap the PSUs when you receive a new router anyway.

I would also be inclined to plug the router into the test socket as well, with a know good microfilter. For the moment don't trust the grey ADSL cable or the microfilters that you have been using. Any one of these could have gone wrong.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Was there any bad weather (i.e. thunderstorms) in your area?

That could have goosed something, even though all your equipment was turned off.
      Current Sync 79999/19999

Thanks

Don't know about the weather as I was away. No micro filters installed as the socket I understand is filtered. I have some new ones, can they be used with one of the new sockets?

I have asked my son to bring round the router, power supply and wire tomorrow so we will see. Quite frustrating using GSM as the signal is bad.

Really appreciate your responses, thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikelane View Post
      Don't know about the weather as I was away. No micro filters installed as the socket I understand is filtered. I have some new ones, can they be used with one of the new sockets?
      If you have a filtered socket, then all should be well.

If there has been lightening locally, then it might be worth swapping it out temporarily, just to be safe.

I'm not too sure about how well a filtered faceplate would behave if it were struck by lightening. There are some nice hills in the Pinner area that could pick up a strike.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelane View Post
      I have asked my son to bring round the router, power supply and wire tomorrow so we will see. Quite frustrating using GSM as the signal is bad.
      Good luck with the PSU. As for 3G Dongles, it depends where you are in relation to the aerials. Try using a USB extension and placing the dongle in a better location if it is possible.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

It's actually an iphone tethered to my iPad. I'll wait and see what boy-genius can do tomorrow.

Cheers

Thanks

lol - no problem.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If the second router is also not showing an ADSL light, it looks to me like ADSL has been removed from your line. This could be a mistake in provisioning someone else or the card at the exchange has died. I think Sky are once again wasting money sending another router when they should be sending out an engineer.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

A quick update. My son brought round his old Sky Netgear modem, power pack and lead. Needless to say it did not connect up and the techie at tier 3 confirmed that he could not see it. We then connected up a brand new 02 modem and would you believe, the ADSL light lit up and the broadband light went red as it tried to connect. The techie confirmed that he could see an attempt to connect. Unfortunately, although we got our Sky ADSL user name and password, we could not find a way of altering the 02 modem via telnet to allow access. So, the line appears to be OK but what a coincidence that two of the original modems seem to have malfunctioned! Sky say that this is to be expected with a five year old modem! Just seems so strange and I wonder how many other such reports there are. Now looking forward to receiving my new Sagem modem so that I can go on-line again.

Thanks

Smile Re: Not Connecting

Hopefully the replacement router will be with you in a couple of days.

Do swap the PSU and the router at the same time.

The delays that Sky was experiencing at one point seem to have now been resolved and things are moving forward once more.

When you first connect the Sagem F@ST 2304n router it may take a 2 or 3 minutes to synchronise. Don't worry too much as this is normal. Don't disconnect it until you are sure that it has the latest firmware too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast