Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My internet disconnects at least 2-5 times a week. Is there a solution to this?

This is a discussion on My internet disconnects at least 2-5 times a week. Is there a solution to this? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; For the last 2 years since I moved back to my old high rise flat. I have constantly had problems ...

BLaZiNgSPEED is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Cultures Pack
      Thanks

My internet disconnects at least 2-5 times a week. Is there a solution to this?

For the last 2 years since I moved back to my old high rise flat. I have constantly had problems with internet disconnections.

I previously had BE Unlimited. And back then things were actually worse as I was having disconnections almost everyday with them.

Last year I moved to Sky. The problem although doesn't persist as frequently as it did with BE Unlimited. I still get disconnected every now and again. While most of the times it is stable.

There are moments such as today at 1:25 PM it disconnected. Then at around 10 PM I noticed that my connection at the bottom right corner, where the earth sign is, disappeared for a few seconds until it came back on again.

This is the kind of speed I am getting.

This wouldn't have been a problem if I wasn't an online gamer.
      But since I play regularly my PC games such as FIFA 11, Battlefield Bad Company 2, etc if the internet disconnects my stats get ruined. Maybe not for BFBC2.
      But for FIFA 11 in particular, I would get a loss recorded with a DNF%.

My internet cable is directly connected to the hidden telephone socket. Internet still disconnects.
      I live in Central London and I my Sky ISP exchange is close to where I live. About 15-20 minutes walk from my home.
      But I still experience disconnections.

Now im confused, is this a problem with Sky's server, or is it my line problem?
      And if so is there any solution to this problem?

Oh and I'd like to say that previously I used to live in another flat, low rise and I used to have Sky Broadband there as well for 4 years. I never had internet disconnections like that.
      I did have at the very beginning first few weeks. But since then I never had issues with internet disconnecting.

Another way for me to identify if my internet disconnects is when I am on Xfire, Xfire disconnects me off as well stating "You have been disconnected from Xfire". And my internet connection icon with the earth sign disappears completely.

So I'd like to know, is the internet disconnecting due to my line problem, or is it Sky's line/server that's gone down temporarily?
      And has anyone else experienced 2-5 times a week disconnections?

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: My internet disconnects at least 2-5 times a week. Is there a solution to this?

Need to see your router stats. If your flat has a master socket with a removable faceplate then post your stats from both your master socket and your test socket.

How to get your router statistics

Thanks

Re: My internet disconnects at least 2-5 times a week. Is there a solution to this?

Yes it has. And I normally connect my internet through the test socket (removable faceplate).

Problem is that the internet disconnection still persists. I've been given the same suggestion when I was with BE Unlimited.

Anyway, here are my stats when connected with the master socket.
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 14333 kbps 1098 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.5 db 14.1 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 7.9 db

And here are my stats below with the test socket.
      Connection Speed 14333 kbps 1104 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.5 db 14.1 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 8.2 db

I am using Netgear DGN 2200 router. But my disconnection occurrs even with my old DGN 2000 router. And it also persists with Sky's router. However, I don't use Sky's router because my upload speed is much lower with the Sky router than with the Netgear router.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Leave your router in the test socket and post your stats the next time you experience a disconnection.

You need to post your stats in a format such as the following which includes your WAN,LAN and WLAN uptimes.

System Up Time: 257:37:28
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 20973283 33948101 0 2315 1437 257:36:26
      LAN 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      WLAN 34574007 21677537 0 3953 3953 150:52:47
      Connection Speed 18219 kbps 966 kbps
      Line Attenuation 19.5db 10.9db
      Noise Margin 6.9db 8.0db

Thanks

Right, I'll do that.

Anyway, if this is a line problem, what can I further do to improve the situation so that it doesn't cause the internet to disconnect?

Cos I've gone through similar discussions like this in the past to no avail. No body has yet given me a solution to preventing the internet from disconnecting so frequently.

But back then I left it alone thinking, "lets wait and see if the situation will improve" But I realise that so far 2 years living in the flat with both Be Unlimited and Sky causing me disconnection problems from time to time.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Exdee is on the right tracks. Firstly he is trying to establish where the problem is.

If it is a line problem, it will reveal itself in the stats. The solution will vary according to the cause which will then need to be identified.

An alternative issue is how you are connecting to the router. This hasn't been asked yet, but are you using WiFi or a wired connection?

Also do you use HomePlugs?
      Is there anything else using your LAN or BB at the same time?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think you have answered your own question. If you were having the same problem with BE it points straight at your line. The reason you are seeing less drops with Sky is due to their much maligned higher default margin. This allows more movement in the margin, resulting in less drops.

Unfortunately flat dwellers are very often handicapped by the wiring in their particular building. There is seldom anything you can do about it. What I would try if I were you is artificially increasing your target noise margin. I don't know if you can do this with your router, but there are applications available on the web which allow you to do this. You can afford to loose a couple of Mb from your speed, without too much inconvenience and if it stops the drop-outs it will be worth it. The alternate to this is asking Sky to cap your speed, but it would be better if you can manage it yourself, you could then possibly arrive at the best speed without frequent drop outs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I am using wired connection.
      However, my mum connects using wireless on the same router, Netgear DGN 2200.

If internet disconnects, it disconnects both for me and her. My dad also uses the internet, but wired.

But when I had the disconnection yesterday at 1:25 PM only my PC was on connected via ethernet cable. I was playing FIFA 11 online on PC. I got disconnected and got a loss recorded as a result. I also got disconnected from Xfire (messenger) as well.

The disconnection happens at random times of the day.
      And if it happens, it usually happens only once a day. I've never had disconnections more than 3 times a day. 3 times is the max I've had some 6 months ago. But usually if I've ever had disconnections on a regular basis that would be only once a day.
      For most people this probably isn't considered a problem. But since I am a gamer, my online stats get ruined cos of this.

So far I haven't experienced a disconnection today although it's too early to say yet. But I'll definitely check the router stats for my noise margin the next time I experience a disconnection.
      I remember last time on 2 occasions I've experienced disconnection at 11:20 AM. Today I was monitoring my router stats at that time. I did notice noise margin for Downstream dropped at one point to 5.8 db but then it quickly jumped back up to 6.7 db. Most of the time I notice it sits at 6.4-7.1 db.

From what I can see my Upstream Noise margin never drops below 8.1 db when connected to the test socket compared to that 7.9 db drop with the master socket.
      My router stats always state that I have a downstream connection speed of 14334 kbps or at least around that number. However, in a speedtest.net I get average speeds of 12+ Mbps, speedtest.net result never drops below 12 Mbps. The ms ping never goes higher than 51 ms and lowest from what I can recall was 14 ms. Upload speed in speedtest.net is always 0.94 Mbps.

In our other house where we used to live over 2 years ago, I've never recalled a disconnection once with Sky BB in my 4 years time there. Only at the very beginning We used to have disconnections with Tiscali's dial-up, but that was over 5 years ago. When we switched to Sky we never had problems.

However, when we moved back 2 years ago here to our high rise flat disconnections started happening. We took Be Unlimited's package for the first year. Then we switched back to Sky in June 2010 thinking that we wouldn't have any disconnections with Sky seeing that we never had problems with Sky in the previous house that we now rented out. So far all this time I've had disconnections randomly. However, there have been days when I haven't experienced a disconnection at all.

10 years ago when we first had dial-up here as well, same flat. The situation was worse, was getting disconnected every 2 hours.
      This isn't the case now with Broadband. But it is still annoying to get those kind of disconnects every now and again. And I probably wouldn't have taken this too seriously, if it had not affected my online game stats.

Sorry for the long post.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BLaZiNgSPEED View Post
      10 years ago when we first had dial-up here as well, same flat. The situation was worse, was getting disconnected every 2 hours.
      This isn't the case now with Broadband. But it is still annoying to get those kind of disconnects every now and again. And I probably wouldn't have taken this too seriously, if it had not affected my online game stats.
      As Tom has pointed out, it does appear that you have a line fault.

The difficult thing is identifying who is responsible.

Under normal conditions (i.e. a house) where the line comes from a green street box, your line provider is responsible from the telephone to the test socket. Your responsibility would be from the test socket and include any extensions.

Flat will have their own designated points of responsibility. It is possible that the line between your flat and the point of entry downstairs is faulty. It's repair could be your line provider's; yours; or the building owner's responsibility.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

If you reboot your router between 10pm and midnight this is when line noise is at its greatest and so you should synch at a line rate that should be stable for the rest of the day.

It's what some of us had to do with the old v1 netgears when we had a lot of line drops.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast