Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My internet disconnects at least 2-5 times a week. Is there a solution to this?

This is a discussion on My internet disconnects at least 2-5 times a week. Is there a solution to this? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You could try running RouterStats Lite for 24 hours and see where the noise margin is dropping to its lowest ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: My internet disconnects at least 2-5 times a week. Is there a solution to this?

You could try running RouterStats Lite for 24 hours and see where the noise margin is dropping to its lowest without disconnecting. I think RSL is compatible with the DGN.
      Internet Software

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Re: My internet disconnects at least 2-5 times a week. Is there a solution to this?

This could easily be an internal wiring issue. If the main BT wire is not concealed follow it from the master socket. See if you can spot any junction boxes such as the one in the picture below. Also look out for any joints or signs of wear and tear.

BLaZiNgSPEED is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Cultures Pack
      Thanks

RouterStatsLite doesn't seem to work with my DGN 2200 router even with [User Defined]. However, I may try it later on when I connect my Sky router.
      As for my router. I always switch it off before I go to bed or when I leave home. Do I have to always leave it turned on? I am afraid that it might shorten the lifespan of the router.:/

So far today I have not witnessed any disconnections. The thing is, it doesn't happen absolutely every single day. But happens like usually once or twice, in worst case scenarios about 5 times a week, no more than that.
      My wiring isn't bad as this image.
      However, I have some doubts about my line since it is very long. Do you think that could be the culprit for my noise margin problems?
      This was installed 3 years ago by one of our ex-tenants, when we used to rent this flat. The socket is a BT Openreach.

I actually made a video which you can see and judge whether this is a bad wiring or not.
      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqavdtFC8Xw]YouTube -My home wiring[/ame]
      I am suspecting that this could be the issue with my disconnection problems that happen at times. I am not sure if this is the culprit for my noise margin problems. As in my previous house, the wire was never that long. The socket in my other house is right next to the door of the house.

However, in my flat here as you can see in this video. The wire comes all the way from the door of my house, along the corridor around and then inside my other room.

Do you think this is the cause of the problem?
      If I shorten it to get rid of that long line, do you think this would improve the situation and eliminate the risks of the disconnections that occur?

The other thing is that my noise margin for downstream never goes any higher than 7.4 db. Do you think if the noise margin went up to 8.0 db the disconnection problems will go away? While upstream never drops below 8.0 db noise margin. Do you think shortening my home wire would help make my noise margin go as high as 8.0 db or more?
      Most of the times it sits at 6.4 db noise margin.. I never took any notice of my noise margin in my previous house as I never had issues there with disconnection.

Edit: It got disconnected just 4 minutes ago at 5:15 AM.

System Up Time 04:31:39
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN pppoa 2259 2892 0 263 1663 00:28:36
      LAN1 Link Down 489115 304806 0 39701 5295 --
      LAN2 10M/100M 04:31:31
      LAN3 Link Down --
      LAN4 10M/100M 04:31:39
      WLAN 300M 0 0 0 0 0 04:31:14

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 14333 kbps 1098 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.5 db 14.1 db
      Noise Margin 7.7 db 8.0 db

So I guess higher Noise Margin is bad? :S
      Last edited by BLaZiNgSPEED; 26-06-11 at 06:20 AM.

Thanks

Nice job with the video. I was able to spot at least 1 junction box in the video. Apart from that your wire is quite long and taking an unusual route too. Looks like your ex-tenant was a dish installer. =p

Anyhow I would like to imagine there is a problem with this long wire running through the flat. Try to relocate your master socket as close to the point where the lines enters your flat as you can. There are no guarantees that will cure the disconnections but there is a very good chance it will.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

What I was wondering is would it be possible to replace the telephone line with a Cat 6 cable?

It might be possible that there are too many kinks in the existing line, as well at it being rather long.

Whilst BLaZiNgSPEED would be able to comment of the practical issues, perhaps someone else could comment on whether it would work.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Being long is not necessarily the problem, but the fact that it is long means it is more likely to pick up interference. Add to this the number of staples that have been used to secure it, any one of which may be 'pinching' the wires and you have the potential for problems. Usually this type of wiring is fixed at skirting board height. My wife would kill me if I run a cable along the top of the wall like that. It will be a big problem if you decide to re-paper the walls. As Exdee suggests, see if you can shorten the run a bit, if nothing else it would take some of the staples out of the equation and would make re-papering easier.

Having a high noise margin is not a problem. Under normal circumstances the higher the noise margin the more stable your connection will be. This is why I suggested using a higher target margin, or as Adrian suggested, boot your router when the margin is low.

Is the DMT tool compatible with your router? This would allow you to adjust the noise margin. I don't think the DGTeam firmware is.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Well I tried the DMT Tool with my router and it is not working. Not sure if it will work with my Netgear DGN 2200 router.
      However, a few hours ago I did reconnect my Sky router Sagem F@st 2504. I have only tested this DMT Tool with the Sky router. It doesn't work.
      But now RouterStats -Lite is working with it, which is good. I am now gonna perform a 24 hours router stats monitoring and see what my lowest and highest noise margins are. But that'll mean my PC will have to be on for 24 hours.

While I do suspect that the long cable might be a problem. I am confused whether this long cable is the culprit or the wire that's from the building is the cause of it.
      I am not very confident to cut the wire myself. So I could get a technician to do it for me. But I am afraid that even after shortening the wire, the disconnection may still occur. Especially if I had to pay the technician to do me this service.

Sky's exchange are meant to be 15 minutes walk from where I live. But despite that, disconnections do happen. While my other house was further away from Sky's exchange and I never witnessed it happen there for 4 year. Only for the first 2-3 weeks and that was it.
      I never called sky about this yet, though.

By the way, I was curious to know, does this issue happen with Fibre-Optic broadband as well? I know my area doesn't support fibre optic yet. But was just curious that if in future my area supported fibre optic, if I had taken a fibre optic broadband package whether this same issue would persist there as well?

And if for example shortening my wire still doesn't solve this issue with the disconnection that I have at present. Will capping the internet connection speed definitely solve this issue?
      To be honest I wouldn't mind if Sky even reduced my internet connection speed from 12 Mbps that I currently receive to lets say 8 Mbps for example. As long as it doesn't disconnect me every 2-5 times a week, that'll do me!
      I am quite happy to have that kind of speed. It is more than enough for online gaming and most of my other needs such as browsing the net, listening to online radio.

For me having an internet that does not disconnect me is more important than having a connection speed that is fast, but disconnects too. I mean, even if I had 100 Mbps I still wouldn't be satisfied until the connection is stable as well, lol.

And if I was to also request Sky for a DLM could this help them figure out the best connection speed for my line so that it prevents my connection from dropping?

Cos I don't want to move back to my other house or in a new house just to have an internet connection that won't disconnect.
      I really do hope there is a solution to this! And I would do whatever I can to solve it.

Thanks

As far as cutting and stripping the wire is concerned there is plenty of it so you should be able to get good practice on it before you touch the relevant bit.

In the video it's not very clear. What happens to the wire after the green door? I think there should be a joint or junction box somewhere in that region. You said your tenant ran that wire himself. Where did he start from?

When he ran the wire along the ceilings he must have connected it at some stage to the main BT line. You need to find out where that point is.

Get exploring!

Thanks

Hmm, well actually my tennant didn't do it himself. But he paid about 200 back then to some BT technician to install the line. He lived in that room in which you see at the beginning of this video. Therefore he told the technician guy to put that socket in his room, since he wanted broadband in his room only. While the other rooms we rented to other people back then.

At the end I tried to capture the video after opening that green door. But unfortunately it was too dark. It's just a mini storage area where you normally store your shoes, etc.

Anyway, there is a junction box there to the corner which leads with a joint. These wires then go down through a hole inside and then travel down the building. I guess that's the main BT line.
      There are no other telephone sockets in my flat apart from the one that you see in this video.
      I may try to cut it myself. But my parents are afraid for me to do this, lol. So they say "don't worry, we will call a technician."

But I don't think a technician would do this job for free. And even if I was to cut that long wire. I don't know how I am gonna then reconnect it to the telephone socket. I guess I will then have to remove that telephone socket, (the one you see at the very beginning of the video). And then place it or install it somewhere near to that green door from where the wire comes from.

This is where I am concerned. I want to know whether after doing all that hassle, this would really eliminate the disconnection problems that I happen to see every couple to few times a week?

That's why I am wondering whether it is worth doing that. And that if I simply called sky to cap my download speed to lets say 8 or 10 Mbps than the usual 12 Mbps that I get. Whether that can be a simpler solution to my problem, rather than going through to cut that wire?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BLaZiNgSPEED View Post
      Anyway, there is a junction box there to the corner which leads with a joint.
      So we've got two junction boxes and a possible joint? Your chances of your broadband being cured have improved further.

The junction box in your storage room is a blessing as it will enable you to test your connection there without touching your line that proceeds from it. In order to conduct the test you will need the faceplate from your master socket. Hope you have it in a safe place since you mentioned you normally connect via the test socket.

Anyway the theory is that you will open up the junction box and identify the main bt wire. This will be the wire that will be coming in from the hole in the ground. You will disconnect this wire at the junction box and connect it to terminal 2 and 5 on your faceplate (push it down using a visitor/credit card). Then connect your router to the faceplate as normal using a micro-filter and observe if the stability improves over the next few days.

If your line does not drop any more then as mentioned before the internal wiring is causing the issues. If your line continues to drop then it's an external fault and will have to be escalated via Sky.

Now I've just explained the theory to you. You are right an engineer will not do it for free. If you want you can get your parents involved to help conduct this test but whatever their decision; please respect their authority.

Having yourself on a low speed profile could improve your disconnection situation. It depends on how much your noise margin varies by. Use router-stats lite and see if it falls gradually or takes a deep plunge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast