Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

A few questions.

This is a discussion on A few questions. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Giskard What if I am met with the same response as last time? As in: A high ...

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: A few questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
      What if I am met with the same response as last time? As in: A high sync could cause problems, possibly affecting the phone as well.
      Btw, when the chap told me this, it was only as a general statement.
      Just tell them you don't care. You want it maxed out.
      If they won't do it ring back till you find somebody who will.

As it appears that I am under DLM at the moment, is it to be expected that if DLM was left to complete, I would end up with my optimum profile anyway?
      DLM is a sensitive process. For some lines it's spot on. For others it caps the line too low even when there are no visible issues with the lines. For instance DLM capped me at 11MB. I got it uncapped and get 18MB now. No drops outs or phone problems.

On a properly functioning and configured connection should I expect to see not too much drift from 7db down/up?
      Yes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

Giskard (24-06-11)

3. Advertisement
      Giskard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Again, thanks for the good info - much appreciated.

Cheers.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Update:

Just finished talking to Sky. Asked if I could be placed on 20/1.3 mb profile, and was told - No, not really.

When I persisted, he asked what I wanted the extra speed for

Anyway, I mentioned DLM, quoted my upstream margin, whereupon he said it (decibels and stuff) was a bit over his head and would have to involve a tech. (I had to wonder why he straight off told me that all was hunky-dory).

2 mins later came back saying sync had been set at 17211. I checked and it was 17211. Upstream rose to 1150 with margin at 8.9.

Told me the Tech said I was fastest Sky connection in my area and (as you said) that O2/router could account for my quicker speeds, pre Sky. I said that, aside from being quickest in my area, could he confirm that I was optimally configured, and could I take it for granted that I was off DLM. He said yes to both.

Big thanks to you Exdee, Isitme & Scubbie for your time in helping the many people in need

Exchange:
      Thanks

Another question:

Could someone let me know what the presets are for the profiles with Sky's SVBN B/b unlimited?

Thanks.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Another question:

Could someone let me know what the presets are for the profiles with Sky's SVBN B/b unlimited?

Thanks.
      No, sorry.

There was a post made with this information but it had to be withdrawn due to it being commercially sensitive information.

The only thing that can be confirmed is that Sky uses a target noise margin of 7dB.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Could someone let me know what the presets are for the profiles with Sky's SVBN B/b unlimited?Thanks.
      Sky apparently regard that as confidential information. I think you are probably set at either 18048/1216 or 20000/1312.

Looking back on your thread I would comment, that if you are the highest speed in your area with an attenuation of 27db, all I can say is that there must be an awful lot with very badly configured lines or you were being fed bull's excrement. I also doubt you line has been configured to 17211, it would have to be configured above that speed for you to sync at 17211. A line on ADSL2+ will never sync at exactly the configured speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Giskard (12-07-11)

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Another question:

Thanks.
      16mbps and above:

16384/768 INP 1 symbol, delays 32/32
      16384/768 INP 1 symbol, delays 16/16
      ** I think there is also a 16mbps profile with heavier INP, but can't remember off the top of my head.
      18016/1216 INP 1 symbol, delays 8/8
      20000/1216 INP 1 symbol, delays 8/8

11. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

Giskard (12-07-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Looking back on your thread I would comment, that if you are the highest speed in your area with an attenuation of 27db, all I can say is that there must be an awful lot with very badly configured lines or you were being fed bull's excrement....
      Well, I took that with a pinch of salt and was more interested that I was optimally configured. As you say, either no one is between me (1.9k) and the exchange is on Sky or they are all horribly messed up

Anyway, I think there must be a cell of Psy-Op's manning Level 1 at Sky

Noticed router had re-booted at around 04:00 this morning and came up at a down sync of 11411 @ 16db margin.

Rang Sky. Lady did a line estimation and said that I am 1.2k from echange (line-of-sight, I guess) and that my line was free of errors. She said that over that distance the 1.2 meg that I was on is what they would expect for a stable line.

I related what I was on previously, that Sky advisors had told me my line's max rate was 19 meg, of my 3 yrs sustained high throughput (even though they pushed the boundry using lower margins) and the only call to O2 support in that time was a billing issue. I mentioned that prior to this re-sync, my margins had hardly moved at all and that she had told me my line was free of errors, so I tell her that I am having a bit of a problem understanding what is causing my line to now have a max rate of 12 meg.

I also mention router weirdness on day one and tell her that one day after router went down it came back with link stats active but no WAN for 30 mins, at which point I re-booted and WAN came back. When i said WAN it all went quiet on the other end of the 'phone so I said Erm....you know WAN?..... Still quiet, so I asked her if she knew what WAN is. More silence. You know, the @ symbol on the router for internet I said. She says, yes. I said can I speak with someone a bit more tech. She says all Level 1 are tech trained. I tell her she does not know what WAN is. She tells me she does. She tells me she thought I said W A M, WAM. I ask her to tell me what it means, but she does not, simply tells me I can not speak to a tech. So I ask to speak to her manager.

End result is he set me at 10239/798 - the 10 meg/800k profile and restarted DLM.

Now.........if, hypothetically of course, nobody in particular (may have), for instance just as an example.......like, said that, I dunno, but perhaps if 10 meg were a profile in use by a theoretical provider - not Sky, of course - then would you think it reasonable if this imagined person went on to say that next pfofile up could, possibly be the 16 meg profile?

Such a scenario would mean that a gap like this between profiles is not very flexible, and that for anyone with stability issues at 16 meg would suffer a big drop - quite a bit more than you would think would be required?
      Last edited by Giskard; 12-07-11 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      No, sorry.
      No probs

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

The profile below 16mbps is indeed 10240/800 (delays 8/8 - 'gamer profile'). Not sure why Sky see this as confidential information, it's something I'd tell anyone over the phone if they ask... *

I don't see the big deal why they can't set you to even the 20mbps profile. It'll likely stay stable without any issues. This is the whole problem of giving managers access to profiling lines when they don't have a clue.

* Hypothetically speaking, of course. If I ever worked for Sky.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast