Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed Increase - Swapping Between ADSL 1/2

This is a discussion on Speed Increase - Swapping Between ADSL 1/2 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've recently moved to Sky and so far found their service fairly good, and reliable with mostly helpful customer support. ...

CSW
      CSW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Speed Increase - Swapping Between ADSL 1/2

I've recently moved to Sky and so far found their service fairly good, and reliable with mostly helpful customer support. I've just been on the phone to the customer support team, and spoke to an overseas agent to try and get a speed increase. Firstly, my line stats are:

Downstream:
      Line Attenuation: 50.5dB
      Noise (currently): 9.3dB
      Speed: 4608Kbps

Upstream:
      Line Attenuation: 27.5dB
      Noise (currently): 8.0dB
      Speed: 863Kbps

Even though my line is poor and old and stretches half way round the city I live in before reaching me (despite only being around 600-700m away from the exchange) I thought I may be able to increase my speeds ever so slightly to maybe 6mb. The agent I spoke to advised this would not be possible due to line stability issues, I then asked if I was on ADSL 1 or 2, and was advised I was on 2. When I asked about switching to ADSL 1 and whether there would be any benefits, I was advised that ADSL 1 was reserved only for those with 1 meg connections or less. This seems contrary to what I have read, is it worth phoning again at a later date to speak to someone else and see if they will try and squeeze more out of my line?

I'm also plugged directly into the test socket which has shaved a bit off my attenuation.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Speed Increase - Swapping Between ADSL 1/2

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
      This seems contrary to what I have read, is it worth phoning again at a later date to speak to someone else and see if they will try and squeeze more out of my line?
      Yeah, the advisor is talking nonsense about g.dmt being reserved for under 1mbps lines. It currently looks capped on the 4608/864 (delays 8) profile, so call up and see if they can improve it by all means seeing as there is a little snr spare.