Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Drop outs and low speed - big frustration

This is a discussion on Drop outs and low speed - big frustration within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Looking at your area code, you are in the Reading Area. Some parts of Reading have already been upgraded to ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Drop outs and low speed - big frustration

Looking at your area code, you are in the Reading Area.

Some parts of Reading have already been upgraded to have FTTC. I would suggest that you investigate whether or not FTTC or FTTP is coming to a green street cabinet near you. If there is, then I would suggest that this is the only way in which you are going to improve your speed.

You don't have to go with BT Infinite. BT Wholesale are able to sell FTTC & FTTP packages to other ISPs. Hopefully Sky will do this some time this year.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Gump is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01189
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Just to recap, it's not the speed that is the main issue.

I simply can't retain a connection for more than a few mins and it seems to be getting worse.

I have been on to Sky and they have assessed the line and carried out a few first line support tests inc switching out the filter, connecting direct to the test socket etc.

She came to the conclusion that my line won't support 918k and suggested that they are trying to send data twice as fast as the line can physically carry it so they downsized it to 560k. Now I cannot even get a connection to last more than 30 secs.

:/

Thanks

One of the more common problems that could be causing your connection to keep dropping is a damaged line.

The only tests that you can perform to check this are the 'quiet line' test & a simple dial to again see if there is any noise. Your line provider can do more if it has access to the line. I'm not sure if this would be easy in your case.

For the tests you can do, use a corded telephone in the test socket, with nothing else connected:

• dial 17070 and select the quiet line test
      • dial '1' and again listen carefully

In both cases listen carefully for any noise on the line. if you hear any crackling, hiss or any other noise, the it is a job for BTO to look into.

It is perhaps important for you to realise that you are on the edge of getting ADSL Broadband where you are. Since FTTC & FTTP is in your area, I would investigate these as the whole package would be improved.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

I understand about the distance from the exch and thx for the help but apart from a 2ish month period last year and just recently, it has been fine if a little on the slow side for big downloads.

The prob appeared last year with exactly the same symptoms then disappeared of its' own volition and then reappeared about a week ago so I really don't think it's about distance or location.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gump View Post
      I understand about the distance from the exch and thx for the help but apart from a 2ish month period last year and just recently, it has been fine if a little on the slow side for big downloads.

The prob appeared last year with exactly the same symptoms then disappeared of its' own volition and then reappeared about a week ago so I really don't think it's about distance or location.
      In this case I would definitely suspect that there is some outside interference. If you can do the quiet line tests, this may confirm my suspicion.

The types of things that can cause line problems are often easy to research if you are close to the exchange, but in your case they would be a little more difficult.

Essentially you would be looking for trees near the telephone line, street lights & traffic lights, amateur radio hams or CB radios, faulty electrical equipment.

REIN is essentially radio interference that can be cause by any of the above items (not trees apparently though ). When street & traffic lights go faulty, they can produce it. Radios that have not been set up correctly can cause another kind of radio interference. A member of this forum has also described how a faulty TV interfered with the BB supplied to a lot of people on an estate.

::. Kitz - REIN .::

Thanks

OK I can look for that stuff. How about an oxygen machine or a stairlift - I know someone close has had those installed in the last month?

I did briefly consider those but dismissed it, maybe too quickly?

edit - in any event, those things are not used constantly Im guessing but my connection (or loss of) is persistently an issue.
      Last edited by Gump; 22-06-11 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Additional info

Thanks

Joking aside, if you read the article on the Kitz site, it shows you what what frequency REIN can be detected on.

If you have a portable radio, tune it in to 612KHz and take a walk. It would have to be fairly strong and near a telephone line.

Trees would be a little easier to spot. It is possible that a tree has grown particularly close to a line.

Ultimately this isn't going to be easy to identify, so I do wish you the best of luck in finding it.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The routers sky supply are not suitable for longer lines. Might be able to get a stable sync with a decent router.

Can you copy paste your tracert to sky.com? (Go to CMD -> Type 'tracert sky.com')

Thanks

I will do that later - it's raid time and I have to do it on my mobile bb cos I can't keep a connection at all on the landline lol but I will post it and thx for the help so far.

What could I use instead of the sagem? I do have a netgear here somewhere but wouldnt I have to have a unit with the same mac address as the sky unit?

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

What could I use instead of the sagem?
      Depends on your traceroute stats really.

I do have a netgear here somewhere but wouldnt I have to have a unit with the same mac address as the sky unit?
      Not a requirement at the moment. In the future you might be required to have the same MAC address as your sky router. This can be achieved by mac cloning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast